X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Filmation Batman: 60's or 70s version?

This is a tough call for me, b/c I watched both as a kid, but I think I have to go w/ the 70s version. Although I admit being disappointed that none of the other actors from the Adam West series had cameos (voices) like Burt and Adam did for this cartoon.

What's your preference?
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

60s....Bat-Mite bugs me!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

The 60s toons are pretty much perfect adaptations of the Batman comics of the time. Less spoofy than the live-action series but still Silver Age goofy. The 70s series is similar to that but has the even goofier Bat-Mite mixed from an earlier era. Plus they skirted trying to be a bit moody with some Neal Adams-like poses on ocassion. It's like a mish-mash of several different Batman eras. It works pretty well, but the 60s series has a more cohesive feel.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I dug both as a kid and still like both, New Adventures is definitely 50's Batman. The major reason I prefer the 60's toon is Ted Knight, Lenny Weinrib didn't have the range and can get on your nerves.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

60's I like better. Is there a release date for this series yet?
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jds1911a1
            Alan Scott is the best GL
            • Aug 8, 2007

I prefer the 60's one. It is SO dead on for the 64-69 comics. (as all the 60's filmation DC cartoons were)
            I am a fan of batmite but as others said the 70's show is closer to the 50's batman comics and when compared to the comic if it's time it's a little flat

I loved that Adam and Burt voice the BATman and ROBIN but the only reason they voice the show was Olan Soule and Casey Kasem were in contract with ABC for superfriends at the same time.

I was shocked that Wb released the 70's one first. Does anyone know of an issue with the masters for the 60's show or is it an issue with an actor (or their estate) who voiced the show

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Boomerang airs the 60s toons in between shows as well as part of the "Superman/Batman Adventures" from time to time. So I dont' think the rights are tangled up.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• jds1911a1
                • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                Boomerang airs the 60s toons in between shows as well as part of the "Superman/Batman Adventures" from time to time. So I dont' think the rights are tangled up.

Chris
                Thanks Chris I don't have boomerang anymore so I didn't even know they were still airing these. Probably a technical issue then

Comment

• Airdave817
                  Satellite Monitor Duty
                  • May 31, 2007

Probably the 60's version. Was that the version with Casey Kasem as Robin?
                  That's probably my favorite.
                  Shameless self-promotion -
                  Earth-Dave
                  KROC-FM
                  Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
                  "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• jds1911a1
                    • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Airdave817
                    Probably the 60's version. Was that the version with Casey Kasem as Robin?
                    That's probably my favorite.
                    yes and same batvoice (Olan Soule) as pre 80's superfriends and the scooby doo's

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 10, 2006

The 60s BATMAN well most likely be next since AQUAMAN and SUPERMAN are aviable now

Comment

• filmation batman fan
                        The Man of Many Voices
                        • Aug 30, 2005

My kind of topic!!!!For me, it's the 1977 series. I was 5 years old when I was first exposed to Batman let alone any Super Hero. Hard to believe it's been 31 years ago!! It was the New Adventures of Batman that got me started as a Super Hero/Comic Book Geek. Adam West and Burt Ward were outstanding as the voices of Batman and Robin in this series and their voices were a perfect fit with the Filmation character designs. As for BatMite, I mostly enjoyed the fact that he was just as annoying to B&R as he was to the fans. BatMite at least made Robin, the teenage sidekick look good and professional as did the other sidekicks on the SuperFriends, explaining why I like Robin as well as Batman. This series led me to the live Batman show and then the SuperFriends and then finally, the comics.
                        The New Adventures of Batman had better animation style and music scores for the most part plus we saw the first media version of Clayface. And it was the first time Commissioner Gordon finally looked like his comic book counterpart. Lennie Weinrib may not have been great as the Joker but I loved his version of the Penguin. Catwoman was sexier in looks and in voice. Mr. Freeze was lame but his character design was better. And in terms of original villains, Filmation scored high points with the Moon Man and Electro.
                        The 1968 series is more fan approved because it is dead on with the comic books of the mid to late 1960's whereas the 1977 series was a mixture of three eras:

1: Storywise, a throwback to the 1950's comics

2: The character designs of the 1960's plus the voices of West and Ward.

3: The music. Black and Asian characters ( ie: both were newscasters as well as Scott Rogers aka The Moon Man) were seen along with Caucasian characters, not to mention the rotoscoping animation style. This was all 1970's.

Olan Soule and Casey Kasem did an outstanding job as Batman and Robin over the years, but I enjoyed them best on the SuperFriends while I preferred Adam West and Burt Ward on the Filmation series. But I will always be partial to the 70's series. And I say Thank God this series made it to DVD release. I only hope now the 1968 series will make it for the sake of having every Batman cartoon series on DVD all uncut and without that extra music track heard on the Superman/Batman Adventures on Boomerang. But I'm glad the 70's show made it first for I feared it would never see the light of day. But Adam West, Burt Ward, and BatMite made my first mark on the map of my lifelong hobby.
                        Cheers

Comment

• megoscott
                          Founding Partner
                          • Nov 17, 2006

I've been watching the 77 show on DVD. If I had the time I think I could edit out every Bat-mite scene and it would have no effect on the plot whatsoever. It's a pretty cool show with a completely gratuitous comedy character.
                          This profile is no longer active.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎