Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slarivier
    • Sep 21, 2014

Well, no more pre-sale cases for me...

I've been ordering full cases since the DC license began, but, given so many of the lines feature changed costumes or figure problems, I'm going to have to wait on individual releases. The Batgirl boots were unfortunate, but snafus happen. The neck issue, ditto. That Wonder Woman had the same boot and neck issue was really not good business. But Supergirl's outfit is decidedly different from the original Mego, with skinny sleeves, generic hair and a wonky fit to the costume. The original had such personality -- which may be why she still sells for such large sums on Ebay etc.

I wouldn't actually mind so much if these changes weren't so different from the pictures advertising the product for pre-sale. That annoys me, and I'm afraid it ends my pre-sale purchases from FTC. It's a real shame, as the Teen Titans were wonderful, and the Batman 66 absolutely fantastic. But I've lost my excitement and enthusiasm. I hope they manage to get their act together -- perhaps with more time left between lines.

Here's hoping they do.
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Interesting choice for a first post. Welcome to the Museum slarivier.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Slarivier
      • Sep 21, 2014

I've been lurking for over two years, but I wanted to express my concern

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
        • Feb 27, 2014

I think we all have our own tolerances for what is and is not acceptable as far as changes. Most of the FTC DC figures so far have had some changes from the originals, from incredibly minor to outrageous, like Mxp.

On the whole, most of the changes have actually improved the figures IMO. There's a few I didn't like, such as Batman's suit being a lighter grey and Superman's cape being of thinner material than the original. But that's still minor stuff IMO. The only issue that's been a biggie for me is the tight bodies, but those have been corrected. The female neck issue and big heads on Alfred and Bizarro really don't 'stand out' that much to me, as it were.

As for the figures shipped being different from prototype pictures, I think this issue will resolve itself when FTC starts shipping solely new characters.

There's till a few nagging issues that FTC needs to clean up moving forward, but with consistent feedback from customers, I'm sure they will.

Comment

• Slarivier
          • Sep 21, 2014

I actually don't mind the big head on Bizarro for some reason. And I have to confess I didn't really notice it on Alfred until someone mentioned it on Facebook. But you're so right about the tight bodies being resolved, and when I emailed FTC to ask if the Jayna prototype was the finished scale they responded quickly to say that the final result would be smaller.

Also, good point about the prototype picture difference resolving with new characters. I never thought about it that way, but it does make sense. I really do love that they're making these figures, despite my concerns.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by Slarivier
            I actually don't mind the big head on Bizarro for some reason. And I have to confess I didn't really notice it on Alfred until someone mentioned it on Facebook. But you're so right about the tight bodies being resolved, and when I emailed FTC to ask if the Jayna prototype was the finished scale they responded quickly to say that the final result would be smaller.

Also, good point about the prototype picture difference resolving with new characters. I never thought about it that way, but it does make sense. I really do love that they're making these figures, despite my concerns.
            I think the fact that these figures are being made in China really hurts quality control for FTC. If they had a plant in Tampa where they could constantly monitor the figures throughout the production process, that would likely nix almost all of the issues that people are complaining about. But we're talking a small company that just doesn't have the resources to do everything in-house.

I think the changes and improvements will continue to be made, but probably not as quickly as many of us want. Just a by-product of having your plant be in Asia versus having it in South Florida.

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
              I think the fact that these figures are being made in China really hurts quality control for FTC. If they had a plant in Tampa where they could constantly monitor the figures throughout the production process, that would likely nix almost all of the issues that people are complaining about. But we're talking a small company that just doesn't have the resources to do everything in-house.

I think the changes and improvements will continue to be made, but probably not as quickly as many of us want. Just a by-product of having your plant be in Asia versus having it in South Florida.
              In fairness, that's true of the bigger companies, as well, not just FTC; oversight when you are producing in China is something few toy makers do very well. And if FTC is addressing the big head issue as indicated above, they are responding a lot faster than the big guns in the industry do.

On the subject of changes, I know sometimes that things get altered in production, but if Supergirl differs too much from what we were shown in all the pictures, then that is a problem. We did see the generic head up front, so that shouldn't be a surprise, but if the costume is significantly different from the pics used to promote the figure, that creates some problems as the original poster points out. If what you see ain't what you get, that can have a real effect on your credibility, and that's very bad for a small company like this. It is a shame if they missed the mark on Kara; Wonder Woman was pretty much spot on when you toss the incorrect boots (my original Mego WW didn't come with the boots, so that's not a big issue with me).

Comment

• jayraytee
                Career Member
                • May 27, 2011

The problem with the difference in how the photos used to sell the figures look and how the actual figures look when they arrive is an issue because of presales.

If when the figures were manufactured and arrived at your store you took photos of them to put up to promote the sales and then put them on sale, it wouldn't be an issue at all.

But if you put up photos of what you are supposedly going to sell and take people's money for that product and then ship something different... that is a problem.

It could be remedied by simply puting a disclaimer on the photos of the figures when they put them up to promote sales, saying something to the effect that 'image shown is a mock up and finished product will vary' or something to that effect. It might cause people to wait until they see photos of the actual product before they order, which could be why they have not been doing that.
                My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Slarivier
                  • Sep 21, 2014

Yes, the outfit doesn't make sense now, given it's based on such a specific look (red slippers, hot pants and poofy sleeves). It's a real shame. Supergirl was always my favourite Mego, followed closely by Batgirl. The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get. So I'm just not going to think about it anymore LOL

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide

If the factory were in FLA(central, btw not south. Get a map) they would probably cost twice as much with labor and material costs so much higher. QC should not be a problem where ever the factory is. Seems like other companies like Hasbro and Mattel do just fine in China.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• invisiblelad
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 6, 2014

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      If the factory were in FLA(central, btw not south. Get a map) they would probably cost twice as much with labor and material costs so much higher. QC should not be a problem where ever the factory is. Seems like other companies like Hasbro and Mattel do just fine in China.
                      1st of all T-bolt is right about the location being CENTRAL FL. I wouldn't know this but I started taking my daughter (- the last x2 Summers where I went w/ my female BF since kindergarten) to North Miami Beach (Sunny Isles specifically) EVERY SUMMER for 6-7 years now. I went this year from Aug.26-Sept.2, & BELIEVE ME if Tampa & therefore FTC headquarters were close by (I was in Southern FL) I would of went there to get a TOUR, x9 FREE 8" + 1 7" TT female replacement bodies, got a tour, & pitch ideas/improvements. Also, I want FREE CTVT stuff to make THUGS for all the villains & stuff to make Secret Identities/Civilians using all their existing stock & would post pics + videos w/ links to the items at CTVT/FTC needed to complete the recipe for each custom figure. I would also make how to videos on improving FTC figures & making new goons/molls, S.I. & civilian figs, as well as feature them in fan-made commercials w/ the kids I play FTC megos with! They would give me free merch costing a few hundred dollars, but would get advertising & sales from people following the links provided for each recipe! But that makes too much sense I guess.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 12, 2014

I want some free stuff!!

Comment

• invisiblelad
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 6, 2014

Originally posted by ZombieJimC
                          I want some free stuff!!
                          Me toooooooo! lol

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            If the factory were in FLA(central, btw not south. Get a map)
                            All you Florida cities (except for Tallahassee) are South by default

Comment

• Astronut
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 21, 2010

I went there yesterday. Figured since I live nearby I would buy a bunch of figures and eliminate the shipping costs. One of the owners walked me through the warehouse and I gave him my order, he's a pretty nice guy. I was captivated by what I saw, it was cool to be see. Stuff like a bin full of Green Arrows, etc. yeah, bought a sh it ton of figures, I was thrilled when I walked out.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎