Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I see now why everybody hated the old FTC Bodies...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkbros
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 3, 2012

I see now why everybody hated the old FTC Bodies...

So I finally got my Demonic Devil (CTVT, Mad Monsters Series 2) in a purchase from a member.
    I opened him up to try and stand and pose him before he was to become a new custom fig
    I was working on, just so I could see what he looked like in his Original form.

Soon as I posed him to stand straight, BAM! the right leg hip hook broke!

So I dug in the parts bin, and found a Mego Type 2 Superman that had a broke right foot.
    I pulled the pin and rubber from the fig ( both were in excellent shape).
    I put in the new pin and proceeded with the repair.
    Just as I got the leg pin hooked, and let go so it could snap back in place, BAM!
    the CTVT black rubber snapped in two!!

So I started all over again, using the OEM Mego hip pin and the rubber, this time, and got it back together.

This figure can't be more than what 4 to 5 years old? and to have a hip pin and rubber break?

Guess they don't make them like they used too...

Anyhow, thought I'd share since I'm up late.

darkbros
    Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
    https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg
  • LadyZod
    Superman's Gal Pal
    • Jan 27, 2007

The original bodies were produced in India, and if I recall correctly, they were made with recycled plastic.

I often wonder if the reason they started parting out licensed figures (like Happy Days) was because their bodies broke in-house.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
    Check out my art:
    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Action Martin
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 30, 2007

When I bought CTVT's Mad Monsters, Robin Hood, and Super Knights figures seven years ago, I immediately changed out the bodies with Doc Mego bodies. However, the outfits for Dracula and the Mummy are too small for the Doc Mego bodies.
      Scott

Comment

• scott metzger
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 9, 2007

I recently picked up the western, Robin Hood, knights and pirate figures off the CTVT site, and basically switched them (save the knights) onto old Mego bodies. I had gotten the Space 1999 figures years ago, and was glad I got them dirt cheap. I had bodies broken in package, some with melted parts, and none of the bodies were in any way really usable. FTC did earn the bad rep they had for their figures in the past, sadly; they were flat out junk. Having had the bad experience with the company's wares in the past, the minute I heard about the new licences, I bought one of the new bodies off the CTVT site to try it out before committing to any of the new figures. The new ones are a huge improvement; if you just showed me both, side by side, I'd swear they weren't made by the same company.

Comment

• darkbros
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 3, 2012

I plan on putting the Devil head on a Brown Type S as soon as they are released.
          Sucks though on the devil suit though, as I was going to use it for a Red Arrow custom
          ( since it is basically a Green Arrow suit produced in red fabric) but the suit doesn't fit
          on a mego Type 2, so I know a Type S is waaaay out of the question.

Funny thing though put it on a lion rock body and although a 1/4 inch baggy, in the abdomen,
          it fits otherwise fine. Go figure.....
          Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
          https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
          "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by darkbros
            I plan on putting the Devil head on a Brown Type S as soon as they are released.
            Sucks though on the devil suit though, as I was going to use it for a Red Arrow custom
            ( since it is basically a Green Arrow suit produced in red fabric) but the suit doesn't fit
            on a mego Type 2, so I know a Type S is waaaay out of the question.
            Is it too small in the body/crotch, or is it just the length of the legs? If it's the latter, you can always chop the end off the toes and tape the bottom around the leg under the boots. I've got the devil, but never tried putting it on a regular body. Never noticed the original CTVT bodies as being smaller than the Megos.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎