Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    • Feb 27, 2014

Those of you that have received the Early Bird Superman

What did you think of the cape? I was disappointed in the quality as compared to the original (felt too thin and cheaply made) and didn't like how low it hung in the back. I fear that Shazam's cape will be made of the same material. Unless they decide to go vinyl with Cap's cape, which could work.
  • Krypt0nite
    Radioactive!
    • Feb 13, 2010

I was disappointed with the cape as well---mine was too thin, cheaply made, and extremely wrinkled. I'm displaying my Superman with the cape folded behind his shoulders (the way it came in the package) and it minimizes the problems. Compared to the capes on previous FTC figures, this is a real step backwards.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Why are they using thinner lining-type nylon? Batman's capes seemed more simply constructed, but of good material.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
        I was disappointed with the cape as well---mine was too thin, cheaply made, and extremely wrinkled. I'm displaying my Superman with the cape folded behind his shoulders (the way it came in the package) and it minimizes the problems. Compared to the capes on previous FTC figures, this is a real step backwards.
        I agree, not impressed with the material, especially coming after the vinyl cape on the RC Batman was so amazing.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

I'm happy with mine. I felt the hang in the back was intentional to reflect a comic interpretation. As far as the material, I thought it was the closest to mimicking the original Mego style. It's classic Superman. I'm thrilled!

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by MIB41
            I'm happy with mine. I felt the hang in the back was intentional to reflect a comic interpretation. As far as the material, I thought it was the closest to mimicking the original Mego style. It's classic Superman. I'm thrilled!
            MIB you could be right about the hang in the cape. The material appears similar to the original, but the original cape is thicker and sturdier. I still like it and will buy the regular version as well, but the cape let me down a bit. Hopefully the Shazam cape is better.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
              Radioactive!
              • Feb 13, 2010

The hang of the cape in the back reminds me of how George Reeves' cape fit him; I display him with the cape folded behind his shoulders rather than spread out to mimic the George Reeves uniform (the colors remind me a lot of his suit as seen in the cleaned up film from the color seasons on dvd).

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Are they using more elastic in back, or not gathering it as tightly? I suspect these are production variances, not design intentions. Perhaps like the lack of Bat-cape pleats which simplify & speed production?

Some Mego T2 Supermen had a thinner, looser elastic, too.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• scott metzger
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 9, 2007

Big question: does that new material look to fray easily? That was the huge problem with the originals; unfinished edges come apart easily.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎