Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boxheadman
    • Jul 24, 2014

Fat Albert? What do you think?

I think Fat Albert would be a slam dunk. There has just never been much quality product released for that license. Figures could do Scooby Doo too and you finrall have all of your favorite Saturday morning cartoon friends together for the first time. This retailer would support it. Where do I sign? What do you think? Hit or a miss?
  • ovenmitt
    Persistent Member
    • May 26, 2009

40 years ago at TG&Y my maternal grandmother bought a Fat Albert PVC figure for me and there were PVCs of ALL Fat Albert characters! I wish I had them all! FTC Mego Fat Albert figures would ROCK! I remember Russel (Bill Cosby's little brother) would say "Rudy, you're like school in the summer, NO CLASS!"

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

I'd buy them

Comment

• Wise4671
        Banned
        • Aug 11, 2007

Originally posted by ovenmitt
        40 years ago at TG&Y my maternal grandmother bought a Fat Albert PVC figure for me and there were PVCs of ALL Fat Albert characters! I wish I had them all! FTC Mego Fat Albert figures would ROCK! I remember Russel (Bill Cosby's little brother) would say "Rudy, you're like school in the summer, NO CLASS!"
        Lol when I read this I did it in Russel's voice.

Comment

• invisiblelad
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 6, 2014

I don't think it would be the hit FTC would be looking for IMO. They still have the DUKES of HAZZARD stuff laying around they had mego counterparts. I actually like the looks of the mego DUKES better but was hoping for just re-sculpt for DAISY & NEW characters. If I didn't buy their DUKES (has some play value IF a general Lee & Cop car was made), I definitely NOT buy FAT ALBERT figures, even though I watched that cartoon every Saturday later in re-rus too. Just my opinion, I think it wouldn't perform great!

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

The key to mego and FTC (and many action figure lines) is a limited number of body types used over and over. while I like the idea of Fat Albert figures and would likely buy them if made well, there is so much variation in body types of the Cosby kids, it would be really difficult to do the characters justice in the mego format.

Comment

• Teemu
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by invisiblelad
              I don't think it would be the hit FTC would be looking for IMO. They still have the DUKES of HAZZARD stuff laying around they had mego counterparts. I actually like the looks of the mego DUKES better but was hoping for just re-sculpt for DAISY & NEW characters. If I didn't buy their DUKES (has some play value IF a general Lee & Cop car was made), I definitely NOT buy FAT ALBERT figures, even though I watched that cartoon every Saturday later in re-rus too. Just my opinion, I think it wouldn't perform great!
              If FTC made the General Lee,I would go all in with the Dukes figures....displaying them without the car makes no sense to me

Comment

• scott metzger
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by madmarva
                The key to mego and FTC (and many action figure lines) is a limited number of body types used over and over. while I like the idea of Fat Albert figures and would likely buy them if made well, there is so much variation in body types of the Cosby kids, it would be really difficult to do the characters justice in the mego format.
                A very good point, unfortunately. Much as I'd love to see things like Fat Albert or Scooby Doo or several other popular 70's properties, they don't fit the Mego format. You need something where there isn't a lot of variation in body type, and the Cosby Kids had a wide range. Something like Archie, where the bodies were fairly realistic and it was the heads/faces that were cartoony, might work (if you can make a skinny body for Jughead), but anything outside live action or somewhat realistic cartoon designs are not going to make good figures in the old Mego style.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Yeah, those would be fun. So would Land Of The Lost, Kaptain Kool & The Kongs (first Season) and Electra Woman and Dyna Girl w/ Frank, Electra Car and assorted villains and sidekicks!
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by scott metzger
                    A very good point, unfortunately. Much as I'd love to see things like Fat Albert or Scooby Doo or several other popular 70's properties, they don't fit the Mego format. You need something where there isn't a lot of variation in body type, and the Cosby Kids had a wide range. Something like Archie, where the bodies were fairly realistic and it was the heads/faces that were cartoony, might work (if you can make a skinny body for Jughead), but anything outside live action or somewhat realistic cartoon designs are not going to make good figures in the old Mego style.
                    Scooby Doo would work in the Mego format just fine. All it would require is a Dog sculpt which could be repurposed for Dinomutt, Wonderdog Or Ace the Bathound with different headsculpts. The depth of the villains in the show would really give the line a lot to work with.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      Scooby Doo would work in the Mego format just fine. All it would require is a Dog sculpt which could be repurposed for Dinomutt, Wonderdog Or Ace the Bathound with different headsculpts. The depth of the villains in the show would really give the line a lot to work with.
                      I wish; I've waited over two decades for a Spooky Space Kook figure, either in a regular line (it was to be in the very next assortment when they were making the big figures, the assortment that never came) or the little goofy figures out now, and I'm still waiting. Freddy and Daphne would work fine, but Shaggy and Velma would be a major problem to do right. Velma might pass on a regular female body with some clever costuming, but you would need a new, skinny body for Shaggy. Putting him on the same body as Batman isn't going to work at all. Of course, having a new, skinny male body wouldn't be a bad thing, mind you, and maybe even an in-between teen female body (bigger than Wonder Girl) for Velma, as you could then turn around and do Wendy and Marvin (and, as you propose, we would have a dog body to re-use for Wonder). If FTC is willing to go that route, then maybe, but it would be a major investment in a new set of molds or two. Still, we are seeing a one use mold for Gleek, and the Scooby gang is at least as popular as a space monkey, so maybe, if the license is available. The Cosby Gang, though, I think is out at this point; I don't think the potential following is enough to warrant all the new tooling needed there.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Shaggy is easy, regular body with new arms, or girl arms might work. Gleek can be repurposed for Blip if Space Ghost is really happening.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• scott metzger
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          ^^ Shaggy is easy, regular body with new arms, or girl arms might work. Gleek can be repurposed for Blip if Space Ghost is really happening.
                          But then he's still got that Neal Adams/Jim Aparo chest and the muscular legs. That would always bug me (Lillard in the live action movies always seemed too buff in the same way). I've been watching Scooby since the first season in '69, and I'd really want the characters done right.
                          Blip is a brilliant idea, though; would so love to see SG, both kids and the monkey. That set is almost 50 years overdue...

Comment

• houseofdracula
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 11, 2011

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                            Yeah, those would be fun. So would Land Of The Lost, Kaptain Kool & The Kongs (first Season) and Electra Woman and Dyna Girl w/ Frank, Electra Car and assorted villains and sidekicks!
                            Krofft figs would be great! I'm all in favor of this.
                            However, certain characters would have to be built similar to the Remco Grimace of the 1970's. Sigmund and the Sea Monsters comes to mind.
                            The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
                            https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Comment

• Astronut
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 21, 2010

I say no to Fat Albert.

But I would say yes to The Rockford Files. heh

Everyone has their thing, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰