Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deej62879
    • May 28, 2007

** Help! white film or residue in bubble? **

I have a MOC spidey mego and he seems to have a light layer of a white colored filmy residue on his suit. Does anyone know what this is and does it hurt its value? Thanks.
  • RG
    Removed.
    • Oct 1, 2004

I don't know for sure, but it sounds a lot like the fungi that vintage Star Wars figures get on them sometimes. If it is, about 30 min. in the sun will kill it, and it goes away. Just make sure not to leave it in the sun any longer than you have to Or it could be something different all together???

-Russ

Comment

• deej62879
      • May 28, 2007

I tried the sun idea today. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work. I would have left it longer but I was worried to do serious damage to it. I definitely seems like some kind of moisture or mold that attatched to the suit. Thanks though!

Comment

• AcroRay
        Persistent Member
        • Apr 17, 2005

Check my "Plastic preservation, museum concerns" thread in Mego Fact.
        Micronauts Collector, Historian, Consultant
        AcroRay's Laboratory - My Micronauts Blog
        The Micropolis Embassy - My Micronauts Group
        Rockets, Robots & Dinosaurs - My Blog for Other Interests

Comment

• RG
          Removed.
          • Oct 1, 2004

Originally posted by deej62879
          I tried the sun idea today. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work. I would have left it longer but I was worried to do serious damage to it. I definitely seems like some kind of moisture or mold that attatched to the suit. Thanks though!
          sorry that didn't work. It might end up being something you can't get rid of

If it gets to the point where it really bugs you ... you could also try a UV lamp just make sure it doesn't get the figure/bubble too hot. Sill there is the risk of fading, but with more of a direct source it might work better ????

I feel your pain ... I have a Ben Kenobi MOC and he's growing the white crap on one of his legs

Comment

• deej62879
            • May 28, 2007

thanks. i really appreciate your input.

Comment

• LovetheLizard
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 15, 2005

I am no expert, but I would think that the sun would only speed the growth of fungi. The best method when caring for any type of toy is simply a dark, dry, and the key...cool environment. This way it eliminates humidity which mold thrives on. Also, UV lighting is the worst you could have regarding collectibles. Keep all your precious collectibles in a dark room and when you do have the lights turned on make sure they are tungsten bulbs. Good Luck.

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by LovetheLizard
                I am no expert, but I would think that the sun would only speed the growth of fungi. The best method when caring for any type of toy is simply a dark, dry, and the key...cool environment. This way it eliminates humidity which mold thrives on. Also, UV lighting is the worst you could have regarding collectibles. Keep all your precious collectibles in a dark room and when you do have the lights turned on make sure they are tungsten bulbs. Good Luck.
                This sounds just about right and yes it does take away from the value.I've seen Star Wars go really cheap when they have this on the face
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• RG
                  Removed.
                  • Oct 1, 2004

Don't get me wrong UV light is very bad for collectibles, but the UV will evaporate moisture and it kills many fungi's. It's a last resort that only works some of the time. It has work with many MOC Star Wars figures, many posts over at reblescum.com about it. It's not the best thing to do, but if you have an item with mold or other fungi's and it's really bugging you, a little UV might "MIGHT" do the trick or at least maybe make it a little less obvious, but there is that risk of damage. Most of the time it takes much more than 15 mins. of exposure to UV light to damage an item. Clear bubbles would be the biggest risk of getting damaged by turning yellow

-Russ

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎