X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJ-Paratrooper
    Museum Patron
    • Mar 1, 2008

Current US Army Uniforms?

Has anybody here made any Army BDUs for 8" Megos? The AJ "Army" outfit looks pretty bad. Actually, he looks like a soviet soldier!

I'd like to custom make some better outfits including a kevlar helmet. I was thinking about using material from a real uniform & adding the camo with...I don't know...maybe laundry markers?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
    DO AND DARE! HE'S EVERYWHERE!
  • gman
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 4, 2002

Wow an AJ fan who likes Military stuff... I have done a few GI Joe 8" customs and what I have found is that the best way to do camo fatigues is to use printable fabric and sew them.

http://www.printmini.com/printables/mil/index.shtml

http://msdeck.hp.infoseek.co.jp/deck/Decal/Decal.html

There are some great camo patterns at printable minis and the decal section at M's deck can get you some cool insignia that can be pinted and glued/sewn to the uniform. The German has a great cap pattern and the Green Beret is where I got my beret pattern. Hope this helps.
    Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
      Museum Patron
      • Mar 1, 2008

Oh yeah! Thank you! That shoots the project light years ahead! Now, the printable fabric part....I assume that's fed into a printer somewhere? The pattern is awesome and dead on. AJ is a unique scale, too. 8" translates to 1/9 scale by my calculations. Not much stuff out there in 1/9 scale. He'd look pretty cool decked out in a proper US Army Desert Camo uniform!

I think I subconciously went to Airborne school because of the AJ & his parachute that I had when I was a kid. That led to many "adventures" in the Army!...So, AJ kinda got me into military stuff. Hence my silly handle here on the board. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
        Museum Patron
        • Mar 1, 2008

Heck, never mind....I just checked the homepage of the link you sent & it answered my questions. Great link!

Comment

• gman
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 4, 2002

You can get the printable fabric at Hobby Lobby and such. It comes mounted on a sheet of paper and you run it through an inkjet printer. Real simple.

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by gman
            You can get the printable fabric at Hobby Lobby and such. It comes mounted on a sheet of paper and you run it through an inkjet printer. Real simple.
            I wonder if you could get the Planet of the Apes glyphs and print them out on such a fabric--would it work?
            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
              Museum Patron
              • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by gman
              Wow! The custom uniforms I could make!!! Of course, my wife is going to wonder why I've taken up sewing....uh, sewing what is going to appear to be doll clothing!!!

I can hear it now.... "Honey, spray the yard for ants, please." "I can't...I'm almost finished making the pants for my action figure." hah hah!!...that's gonna go over well!!!

Comment

• gman
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 4, 2002

Action Figures not dolls. And they are uniforms not clothes --- Ken and Barbie wear clothes and have playsets --- AJ wears uniforms and and has adventure sets.

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Printable fabric is probably the way to go. I haven't used it YET; but I'm working on a figure in the current Canadian combats. I was gonna use an actual patch of CadPat cloth but the pattern probably won't look right at that size.

And yeah; I think you could use it for pretty much ANY pattern or design. There was someone a while back making printed body suits and I think that's how they did it. (And the ones they put up looked fantastic!)

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎