Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    • Feb 27, 2014

Now on the fence about the Super Powers figures

At first I was willing to give them a pass, but the artwork is really growing on me. Some people here are miffed at the big heads on one figure so far, my thing is the card design. I thought it was beyond weak on the first two Batman waves. I liked it better in the third wave, but love the head bubbles on the Wonder Woman card, that's the one they really nailed and I was hoping they'd go with that design for the rest of the figures.

With the Super Powers figures I appreciate that they used either the same images as the original Super Powers figures, or very similar. The figures are for display for me, so the artwork and card design is more important.

I'm leaning toward getting the Super Powers figures now, it will be interesting to see if they are only planning those two waves or continuing the line.
  • jayraytee
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2011

Yeah I preordered the first four, because I want the characters, I would rather have artwork that is closer to original Mego cardback and I would rather have a collection that all has a similar themed look but it looks like variation is the name of the game with FTC. Again, its smart, I think to run a character in limited quantities, then change something about him or his packaging and run him in another limited quantity, some people will buy only one version and other people will buy all of them for the different head or packaging. And really I do think we shouldn't worry about missing out even if a figure goes retired, it just means the figure in that iteration is retired. So for example, Green Arrow is currently on a super powers card with FF action, it will go retired then later Green Arrow might come out without the FF action and with a different card art, then it will go retired and possibly another Green Arrow with either a different sculpt or costume will be offered or maybe the same one on a two pack with another character. It will go on and on until they lose the license.
    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

FTC has said Shazam, Green Arrow and Aquaman will be released on regular bodies, but who knows if it will continue to release those same figures after that on different cards. I have no inside knowledge, but it seems to me FTC is attempting to get all or most of the DC original Mego figures out this year so in the future it can concentrate on all new figures. We've heard FTC is producing an all new Batman figure for Batman Wave 4, which many are hoping will be more comic-accurate — longer cape, longer ears, more serious sculpt, white eyes, no oven mitts . I expect that FTC will do the same with Superman and possibly Aquaman, Green Arrow, Shazam and so on to sprinkle in with characters like Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman and other new to the 8" format figures.

That's my thoughts, but I could be wrong. A clue could be if the new Batman, GL and Flash figures have oven mitts. Oven mitts are to be expected on the reproductions, but I hope FTC goes in a different direction with the new figures. Even Mego moved away from them when it started producing Marvel figures.

Comment

• Toystasher
        • Jul 18, 2014

I pre-ordered Green Arrow, but would rather have him as a regular-bodied figure. At least I'll have one figure on a Super Powers card.

Comment

• rjm118
          Museum Super Collector
          • Apr 25, 2012

With so much coming out at once I have to pick and choose, Im going to pick figures I want from the 66 and Super Powers lines and concentrate on full lines like Superman and regular re-Megos. Im going to pass on Bruce and Dick from the 66 line since more than likely they will then be released with removable masks and Id rather have those.

Wish I could buy them all but its getting crazy!! Not complaining, Ive waited 30 some odd years for these but can only afford so many.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by jayraytee
            Yeah I preordered the first four, because I want the characters, I would rather have artwork that is closer to original Mego cardback and I would rather have a collection that all has a similar themed look but it looks like variation is the name of the game with FTC.
            Yeah Mickey hinted at more 2-packs coming, I would not be surprised to see RC Batman and RM Robin make a return.

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

I could care less about the Fist Fighters figures, but I do like the cards, although I wasn't a huge Super Powers fan because they were small figures... basically not Megos! And I was getting older.

I took a pass, especially knowing that the four new characters are coming as regular figures later. I may get a Batman to go with my carded Mattel Batman and my beat-up, but still carded original Batman. But that is probably it.

Comment

• kerowack
                Career Member
                • Feb 27, 2008

Easy pass for me. Since all will be released on a normal card at some point, I'm not into the super powers card...especially since it's a real style clash to me with Mego figures....doesn't feel right.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I like the SP card art as you do, but I've never been a fan of the FF feature. I'll be getting my favorites (Aquaman & Capt. Marvel) in this format, but likely nothing else unless it a later release of a new character.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by TRDouble
                    I could care less about the Fist Fighters figures, but I do like the cards, although I wasn't a huge Super Powers fan because they were small figures... basically not Megos! And I was getting older.

I took a pass, especially knowing that the four new characters are coming as regular figures later. I may get a Batman to go with my carded Mattel Batman and my beat-up, but still carded original Batman. But that is probably it.
                    Same here. I do think if FTC announces the regular versions of Shazam, Aquaman or Green Arrow before the Super Powers hit that it will hurt their sales a bit.

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

I'm definitely getting them because they are the fist fighters; I never got any of the ones Mego made, so this is my second chance at them. THe cards are a novelty, like the last six DC Universe/signature figures Mattel is doing, but not a major factor for me.

Comment

• boss
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 18, 2003

I had moved on from toys by the time Super Powers were popular (He-Man and Transformers, too). They don't have any nostalgic pull for me. I like the character selection, but I've got originals to keep me warm.
                        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• scott metzger
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 9, 2007

I wonder if they'd consider re-visiting the concept after guys like GL have been made. The karate chop could be plugged as Hal lowering and raising his ring hand...

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by scott metzger
                            I wonder if they'd consider re-visiting the concept after guys like GL have been made. The karate chop could be plugged as Hal lowering and raising his ring hand...
                            We also need a lantern for Hal, which leads to needing an accessory kit for the WGSH like what we have for the Batman 66 figures!

Comment

• Vinny0026
                              Year Five!!
                              • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                              We also need a lantern for Hal, which leads to needing an accessory kit for the WGSH like what we have for the Batman 66 figures!
                              do you think - that they really wont put a lantern in with GL?
                              I find it hard to belive they would not give him one.
                              "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎