Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    • Feb 27, 2014

About one month away from Batman Wave 3 and TT Wave 1

So pumped for these figures! My excitement over the FTC figures has led me back to eBay to start looking for vintage loose figures, which is something I hadn't done in a few years. Amazed at what a mess its become. Most of the figures have most or all of their accessories as repros and it's almost impossible to find a clean, completely original loose figure.

Just sad. But it's another reason to appreciate what FTC is doing.
  • megonaught
    Career Member
    • Jan 29, 2008

I hear ya.
    I am getting the finances ready for another round.
    Action Jackson is his name.
    Bold adventure is his game.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
      So pumped for these figures! My excitement over the FTC figures has led me back to eBay to start looking for vintage loose figures, which is something I hadn't done in a few years. Amazed at what a mess its become. Most of the figures have most or all of their accessories as repros and it's almost impossible to find a clean, completely original loose figure.

Just sad. But it's another reason to appreciate what FTC is doing.
      Umm,...because those are repros, too?
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        Umm,...because those are repros, too?
        Why the snotty tone? And I don't view them as being the same, I view the FTC figures as replicas (which is how they market them) versus what's on eBay, often figures that are advertised as being original when in fact half the accessories are reproductions.
        Last edited by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide; May 24, '14, 1:46 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Why? Because repro parts are a longstanding concern of some vintage collectors on this forum. Said parts, of whatever origin, can impact value and complicate collecting & authentication. As you point out, ebay can be a minefield.

I support well-made repro parts & figures myself, including FTC, but you are on a very slippery slope when you advocate one repro effort over another, particularly when you mention venue. Because FTC's stuff, unpackaged, will all fall into that pool of items affecting price & authentication.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Why? Because repro parts are a longstanding concern of some vintage collectors on this forum. Said parts, of whatever origin, can impact value and complicate collecting & authentication. As you point out, ebay can be a minefield.

I support well-made repro parts & figures myself, including FTC, but you are on a very slippery slope when you advocate one repro effort over another, particularly when you mention venue. Because FTC's stuff, unpackaged, will all fall into that pool of items affecting price & authentication.
            Good for you, I support the same thing. And as I said above, I'm not advocating one 'repro' above another (I consider FTC's figures to be replicas, and that's how they are marketed), I'm against dealers that are selling figures as being vintage original when some of the accessories are in fact repro.

Thus creating the mess I mentioned. As a result, I'm at a point where I can pay $25 for a FTC Batman MOC that looks great, or I can pay $50 for a Batman loose on eBay and not know if the cape, emblem, belt, gloves or boots are original or fake. I'd rather pay the $25 and know what I am getting.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Apples & oranges, eh? It's all fruit salad unpackaged, whether you call them "replicas" or not. They are ersatz Mego, and their use on the secondary is entirely dependent upon the knowledge & honestly of the seller. Especially since FTC also sells loose parts.

I understand your point about a nice complete repro--I like that, too. But FTC will also potentially compete with packaged Mego and certainly still contribute to the "'mess" you mentioned.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; May 24, '14, 2:49 PM.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Apples & oranges, eh? It's all fruit salad unpackaged, whether you call them "replicas" or not. They are ersatz Mego, and their use on the secondary is entirely dependent upon the knowledge & honestly of the seller. Especially since FTC also sells loose parts.
                Again, I think you're trying to argue a point that I'm not making.

To me, a loose original Batman in good shape for $50 is worth more than a $25 MOC FTC Batman. But if I'm unsure if the loose Batman is actually original or has some repro pieces, then the FTC MOC is a better deal for me.

For me. Your mileage may vary. I'm not saying FTC's 'repros' are better than any other, I'm saying an FTC Batman MOC is preferrable to me than a loose Batman of unknown origin.

Make sense?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Yes-- My reservation was in being encouraged to appreciate a product that will also contribute to "the" problem. It's a multifaceted, and ironic, issue. Reproductions require buyers to be very well-educated, & buying items online (unhandled, of varying photographic quality) is therefore difficult.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; May 24, '14, 3:10 PM.

Comment

• JediJaida
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 14, 2008

Like I said in another thread, the one thing that really concerns me is the super hard plastic head; especially the ones for the female figures.

How is a body swap going to be possible, if they can't be removed? That is the main complaint that I have about them.

Okay, the body is tightly strung and there is a boatload of room for improvement. But aside from that and the head, I really don't have an issue.

I was planning on getting the 66 Batgirl figure, checking out the body, and if necessary, pulling a body swap with Doc's new body that is coming out. Unfortunately, I think that FTC made the heads super hard on purpose.

Their OTHER female heads are nice and pliable, so WHY didn't they make these the same way? I asked them, and they said that it was a unanimous decision, but didn't say WHY.

Has anyone tried putting the Catwoman head on another body, like maybe Doc's other repro female body? If so, how in the heck did you remove it from the neck post without destroying it?
                    JediJaida

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by megonaught
                      I hear ya.
                      I am getting the finances ready for another round.
                      Me too, I was considering the Batman 66 set but would rather grab both the BM Wave 3 and TT wave if they are both available next month.

I'm hoping we get a new reveal on one of the upcoming waves in a couple of weeks, then the two waves released in about 4 weeks.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

Any idea yet on which body they plan on using for Wonder Girl?

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎