X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Kiss DTK/Alive! heads

Does anyone have the 12" DTK or Alive figures that wouldn't mind taking a photo of the heads from an up-the-nose angle?

I picked up the 8" versions of Farrows heads and while I like them, they look really warped to me and I'm wondering how different the 12" heads are. I'm curious if the heads get warped in the shrinking process or if the sculpts just look that way in the first place.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

LOL! Nobody bought one. I had a feeling that might be the case.

Comment

• mego maniac mark
      Career Member
      • Aug 3, 2010

Wish I could help Andy, I got the 8". Wanted the 12" Gene head, but we all know how that turned out
      mego's befo ho's

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by mego maniac mark
        Wish I could help Andy, I got the 8". Wanted the 12" Gene head, but we all know how that turned out
        Yeah, I know. Well, do your 8" heads look warped to you? Look at them from the top or bottom to see what I'm talking about.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
          Creature Of The Night
          • May 14, 2011

I picked up a set of the 8" DTK figures a few weeks ago. I had the selection of 4 full sets to choose from, and while the paint quality varied on each figure, the misshaped appearance of the heads was consistent throughout.

I was planning on buying the 12" Alive figures until I saw the photos of the finished product on FTC's website. The 12" look like they are misshaped also. I won't be buying these unless I come across them in person and find that they look OK. Don't see many 12" FTC KISS figs in the wild, 8" I see here and there, so chances are I will not own them.

Comment

• noelani72
            27inaleon
            • Jun 25, 2002

the paint jobs and heads on the 12" are perfect IMO. Still, FTC cannot do hair right. The twist ties in the packaging make the hair even more a mess as it scrunched around the neck and reshaping this hair seems to only make matters worse. I wanted Paul's to look like it does in all the promotion pics...but I just cant take that pinch out.
            These are too expensive, which is why I've modestly asked for these as gifts over the past few months and let the whole family pitch in to lower the cost.
            I took ya some pics of my 12" figs - but I certainly did not move them to do so because it was simply far to difficult getting them to stand and pose.

Img_0900.jpg

Img_0903.jpg

Img_0901.jpg

Img_0904.jpg

Comment

• noelani72
              27inaleon
              • Jun 25, 2002

Everything about these figures is awesome - except the hair and bodies.
              Ace's hair really needs to have his mullet-top as seen in their early prototype pics when Farrow did the hair.
              My Ace has a few wild strands of hair on his right side that poke out...annoys me enough I've thought about snipping them out.

Img_0902.jpg

Img_0905.jpg

Comment

• noelani72
                27inaleon
                • Jun 25, 2002

this is what the prototypes looked like to jog your memory...

It seems trivial to complain about this - it's a toy. But at $70 a pop, you can't lay their hair over their shoulder as seen in the promo pic.
                This hair does really weird crap and is shinny and slick. Farrow suggested I buy a Barbie brush off eBay and apply a little water and brush it...but I'm not willing to mess them up further than they already are.
                Every pic of these figures you'll see afterthefact, is laying totally behind them on their back.
                Doll hair has been done in a factory for decades, so I really fail to understand why these are the way they are.

promo.jpg
                Last edited by noelani72; May 22, '14, 6:31 AM.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Thank you, sir! The 12" don't seem to be too warped. It's hard to tell. I wonder if adding the doll hair twists the faces on the smaller ones.

I don't have any Batman 66, but they don't seem to be warped based on the photos I see. I'm pretty sure Farrow sculpts at 1/6 side and then they are reduced to 1/9, and I would assume if those don't end up warped that it isn't the reducing process that is warping the Kiss heads. Curious...

As far as the doll hair goes, my ex collected Barbie and I picked up some tips on brushing and fixing the hair. The first thing to remember is that it is actually plastic and not hair, so use dish soap to wash it and liquid fabric softener to condition it. Rinse it good after you do it, don't leave the fabric softener in the hair. (I don't think anything bad would happen, but why risk it?) If you brush it, you don't want to just rake the brush thru as you'll end up breaking strands and pulling out hair. Hold on to the hair in the middle and brush the ends out first, then work your way closer to the root. You can style the hair by putting it in the position you want, cover the head with a Ziploc bag, and dunking the bag in boiling water for a minute or so. I wouldn't just put the head in boiling water without protecting it. Speaking of which, I need to style my 8" Kiss heads, or at least try. They may just be too small.

I'm sure if you wanted, you could Google "styling barbie hair" and get some more in depth instruction.

Maybe if they continue to work with the doll hair process they can get it worked out. I have to give them credit, I never thought they would pull off Pauls hair.

Thanks again for the pics!

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                    I picked up a set of the 8" DTK figures a few weeks ago. I had the selection of 4 full sets to choose from, and while the paint quality varied on each figure, the misshaped appearance of the heads was consistent throughout.

I was planning on buying the 12" Alive figures until I saw the photos of the finished product on FTC's website. The 12" look like they are misshaped also. I won't be buying these unless I come across them in person and find that they look OK. Don't see many 12" FTC KISS figs in the wild, 8" I see here and there, so chances are I will not own them.
                    I'm sure they are using the same heads for both DTK and Alive!. I REALLY like the Alive! costumes however....

Comment

• mego maniac mark
                      Career Member
                      • Aug 3, 2010

Sorry , but it's hard for me to tell while they are still packaged. I thought the only head I was disssapointed with was Gene
                      mego's befo ho's

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎