Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatsal
    • May 6, 2014

Possible Store Exclusives?

I called one of the LCSes in my area to see if they carried any FTC, and in the course of the conversation, they indicated that they might be getting some store exclusives. No idea whether it'll be an exclusive figure or some exclusive packaging variant, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless. If a small, independent LCS can get one, could EE or BBTS be far behind?
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

This sounds interesting.

Comment

• rykerw1701
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 27, 2007

I really hate store exclusives if they're brick and mortar stores. I just don't have the time or inclination to hunt things down, and then once I don't have the exclusive, I no longer feel the need to "collect 'em all" so I actually buy less.

Come to think about it, maybe store exclusives are a good thing after all...

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

Hopefully if FTC makes store exclusives it will involve packaging rather than a character unavailable elsewhere.

Some larger comic stores will have exclusive alternate covers for comic books that promote their store or even a comic convention, but the content of the issue/story is the same.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
          Permanent Member
          • Mar 7, 2011

I don't think it would be right of them to do a store exclusive if everyone didn't have the opportunity to purchass from the store involved. It would have to be a Major Chain and to this point I don't think FTC is going that Rout. Unless it was thru somethng like Amazon or BBTS or Entertainment Earth.

Comment

• Vinny0026
            Year Five!!
            • Jan 26, 2012

From a ctv stand point -it brings chatter and talk and excitement

from a former manager of Both Toys R us and the disney store
            I hate them - there was never enought to go around - people would fight and get nasty

scalpers would wait in the store all day long for us to unload the trucks in hopes that we would put them right out

as a collector
            not sure how I feel - I do like variations and limited stuff as I don't open most of my stuff - but i do hate paying scalper prices via e bay to track down what I want
            "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• fatsal
              • May 6, 2014

In thinking about this further, I wondered if the fact that I am in FTC's hometown of Tampa has anything to do with that LCS getting an exclusive. I doubt this LCS could move a large enough production run to justify a new/variant figure, but a simple card variant might be more practical. Also, I'd read somewhere that the 7" Robin would be an FTC online exclusive...maybe the LCS will be the only brick & mortar to carry them? Whatever the case may be, I'll be sure to keep this forum posted.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

What LCS in Tampa?

I grew up in Tampa, and still have family in town. I was curious if it was any of the places I used to frequent... but a quick Google search suggests that is unlikely, as most no longer exist. Sigh.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by sprytel
                  What LCS in Tampa?

I grew up in Tampa, and still have family in town. I was curious if it was any of the places I used to frequent... but a quick Google search suggests that is unlikely, as most no longer exist. Sigh.
                  Greenshift is still there. So's Sound Exchange.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• noelani72
                    27inaleon
                    • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                    I don't think it would be right of them to do a store exclusive if everyone didn't have the opportunity to purchass from the store involved. It would have to be a Major Chain and to this point I don't think FTC is going that Rout. Unless it was thru somethng like Amazon or BBTS or Entertainment Earth.
                    ditto. Exclusives pushed me out of the Star Wars POTF2 stuff in the 1990's. So ridiculous and limited quantities and if you wanted it, you ended up generally paying double. I don't want to see this happen.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 27, 2007

And for those of us that have been at this too long, there was the infamous 1701 limited edition Playmates Star Trek figures in the late 90's. They were producing figures in the hundreds of thousands range, and they decided making 1701 of three of them was a good idea. Spencer Gifts became the quasi retailer Du Jour for most of them. It was the beginning of the end of the line.

Comment

• jayraytee
                        Career Member
                        • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by noelani72
                        ditto. Exclusives pushed me out of the Star Wars POTF2 stuff in the 1990's. So ridiculous and limited quantities and if you wanted it, you ended up generally paying double. I don't want to see this happen.
                        Yep I was collecting the star wars 12" line, I knew which days the local places put stuff out and the scalpers would beat me there. Could always recognize them running around on their phones (they apparently had buddies hitting other stores). I had a strong feeling they knew people that worked at the stores and would get dibs on stuff as they came in. I actually never saw any of the 12" exclusives in store, and I tried hard to find them. The 12" greedo exlusive was a real mystery, it was supposed to be only at JC Penny, but the ones near me never heard of it, never got it in, but they did show up on ebay.
                        My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• boss
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 18, 2003

I'm skeptical of the store exclusive claim.
                          Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Wise4671
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11, 2007

I say lets not ruin these with store/web exclusives

Comment

• pmwasson
                              Maker
                              • Sep 12, 2007

Maybe they are just going to sell some of the 2-packs that FTC already has.
                              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎