Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Hasbro Star Wars Should Call it Quits!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayhank
    That Fisher Price Guy
    • Feb 9, 2007

Why Hasbro Star Wars Should Call it Quits!

Reason # 1: Let's take a bunch of leftover figures put them in a scene that has never happened...we might get away with calling it Expanded Universe provided nobody notices.

Darth Vader with two Stormtroopers fighting Wookiees. I must have missed that scene during the 6 Star Wars movies. I do recall a scene that had "Clone Troopers" fighting Wookies but that happened somewhat before Anakin becoming Vader. They are just making this stuff up as they go along now.

Reason # 2: Let's take a very overused vehicle, give it yet another paint job (that we've already done over a dozen times before) and call it something else.

Last edited by grayhank; Mar 10, '08, 11:39 PM.
    Scott D Thompson | Facebook
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

yeah i know what you mean! i gave up long time ago and already got rid of the ones i did have. it was just getting too ridiculous!!

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Both are Target exclusives anyways. It's not like you'll see them clogging the shelves everywhere. You'll just be lucky to find them,with the history of how well Target exclusives have sold in the past.

Comment

• MarkStalcup
        Chases Ambulances,Customs
        • Feb 6, 2008

That scene's actually from the new video game "The Force Unleashed" where Vader does, in fact, fight wookies. And those multipacks are repacked figures that are also aimed at kids and parents, who want maximum bang for their buck.

I'm pretty worn out with Star Wars myself, but every now and again, they come along with something cool, i.e. the Biggs Darklighter toy, the Yarna (fat Jabba's dancer) one that's forthcoming and so on...the mistake people make is trying to buy EVERY figure on every variant card when they've reissued several multiple times.
        “As human beings we all want to be happy and free from misery… we have learned that the key to happiness is inner peace. The greatest obstacles to inner peace are disturbing emotions such as anger, attachment, fear and suspicion, while love and compassion and a sense of universal responsibility are the sources of peace and happiness.” - The Dalai Lama

Comment

• Seeker
          Neptunians RULE!
          • Feb 20, 2008

My Walmart just started getting in the Force Unleashed figures based on the game. I managed to pick up a Battle damaged Darth Vader on the way out.

He looks pretty cool with his removable chucks of armor. Anakin in all his burnt scabby glory.
          Lo there do I see my Father.
          Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
          Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
          Lo they do call me.
          They bid me take my place among them.
          In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I saw this coming when the line relaunched in 1996, I spent a year trying to keep up and then realised it was never going to end. No matter how many figures I bought ten new ones would be waiting for me the next month. It was a bit like quitting smoking, I packed everything up and sold it, I was lucky to make a few bucks on the deal (probably $100-200 profit).

I actually couldn't even look at Star Wars for a long time after and have never purchased a new product since.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MarkStalcup
              • Feb 6, 2008

The Battle-Damaged Vader is pretty cool-looking, but I wonder what the story is with him. They say his damage is from Rebel agents onboard the Death Star.

Elsewhere, he fights Obi-Wan and wins...he fights a young Luke and wins. He kills buttloads of Jedi and wins. And Rebel spies are somehow supposed to do THAT kind of damage?

I don't think so. Looks cool, but that's got to be a heck of a story there.

The bad thing about Hasbro is, they release these high-end superarticulated figures in the "Vintage" collection for $12.99 and then less than a year later, many are out again in repacks or on new cards for $6.63. Add to that the high cost for such a small figure and the fact they're on their 33rd Darth Vader with dang little difference in most versions, and it gets old. Those sell to the kids and the fanatics, but again, anybody who tries to keep up is a tad crazy...there's stuff they released that I didn't even know existed, mostly here-today, gone-tomorrow Target exclusives like the Snowspeeder.

They lost me when the Expanded Universe figures came out, and I couldn't get them all, as well as the poorly distributed R2-D2 with hologram Leia...once that broke the cycle I kind of resigned myself to just getting the ones I saw and liked.
              “As human beings we all want to be happy and free from misery… we have learned that the key to happiness is inner peace. The greatest obstacles to inner peace are disturbing emotions such as anger, attachment, fear and suspicion, while love and compassion and a sense of universal responsibility are the sources of peace and happiness.” - The Dalai Lama

Comment

• PCofmisfittoys
                Banned
                • Oct 17, 2007

it's still supply and demand. i say the same thing about all the superhero figuresthat are rehashed over and over . I stopped buying " new" SW figures a few years ago but will still pickup new ones that where never released. Like everything else , there are new fans of the old series and kids still want them.

and grayhawk, i thought they should have stopped making little people and weebles a long time ago too..lol . you can't replace the originals of those

Comment

• megocrazy
                  Museum Trouble Maker
                  • Feb 18, 2007

Next month Joe's Discount Department Store will be releasing the Megocrazy Jedi Starfighter. Unfortunately the figure is still too big to fit in the cockpit and can only stand out side and look at it. Star Wars toys have been ridiculous for a long time. You would almost think they should release a new movie so they can create a new toy line.
                  It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                    Alan Scott is the best GL
                    • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by MarkStalcup (or Voodoo)
                    That scene's actually from the new video game "The Force Unleashed" where Vader does, in fact, fight wookies. And those multipacks are repacked figures that are also aimed at kids and parents, who want maximum bang for their buck.

I'm pretty worn out with Star Wars myself, but every now and again, they come along with something cool, i.e. the Biggs Darklighter toy, the Yarna (fat Jabba's dancer) one that's forthcoming and so on...the mistake people make is trying to buy EVERY figure on every variant card when they've reissued several multiple times.
                    I look at it the same way. When they make a new character I like I pick it up but I have made no attempt to get them all (or even update when they improve sculpt or articulation)

Comment

• Boris71
                      GeekBot' For Life
                      • May 13, 2007

I agree hasbro seems to see star wars as a way to print money, I gave up a while ago and with the price on some of the figures that are rehases I think it's not worth buying them I saw some retail at £8 in the uk compsred to the repo mego dols at 15 or DCD figures at 11 they just don't seem good value for money
                      Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• Prime316
                        • Jan 10, 2008

Hasbro seriously needs to put the Star Wars line to rest if they have to start doing all this outside material stuff. This kinda stuff, the kind that comes from the video games, books, comics & other material outside of the movies is just Hasbro trying to bleed as much money out of Star Wars as they can. A lot of people have only, and a lot will only, see the movies and know the stuff from the movies. So when crap like this starts showing up it's a turn off to the collectors unfamiliar with it. Many will quite possibly either just stop collecting, or (like me now) only get the VERY FEW actual New or Non-Reissue Movie character figures leaving a lot more expanded JUNK to be sold.
                        Granted there may be a few random figures that are interesting despite their unfamiliarness (ie; Force Unleashed Vader) a lot will be passed on by collectors unfamiliar with it.
                        Hasbro is also relying on the OCD collectors out there that must have every version of every figure ever released. JUST STOP THE INSANITY MAN!!! I USED TO BE THAT WAY BUT HASBRO HAS COMPLETELY KILLED THAT INTEREST NOW. EVER HEARD OF OVERKILL HASBRO!?
                        The sad thing is there's still a slew of characters & background characters from the movies Hasbro could make, probly all in one year too. But their marketing conspiracy IMO is to release an actual NEW Movie characters a few a year in order to make it take as long as possible to complete that while getting as much filler Expanded JUNK out in the process.
                        I know kids will buy a lot of this Expanded JUNK but a lot of hasbro's sales depend on the adult collector market as well and they need to appease us, not make us frustrated and not wanting to collect anymore.

Comment

• huedell
                          Museum Ball Eater
                          • Dec 31, 2003

Many of these posts make "little" to "no" sense...

Am I missing something?

If you don't want it----don't buy it....right?

If the line looks as if its in danger of collapsing---that's one thing----because
                          if it collapsed, then there'd be no more new choices (I stress the word "CHOICES")
                          for collectors and kids to desire and buy.

Bottom line: if the line isn't in danger of ceasing--- or in danger of not putting
                          out new characters now and again---then, there's no rational reason
                          for HASBRO to stop the line.

Oh yeah---one more thing----they've been pumping out SW action figures since the
                          mid-90s----and they don't deserve insults---they deserve: CHEERS

I swear (with all respect), some toy collectors/SW fans are so jaded that they'd
                          curse the thing they wished for all throughout 1986-1994 (although some won't
                          even cop to THAT)

The Force will only be with you if you want it to be

My advice in short?:
                          Enjoy your Tarkin figure and forget the rest!
                          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Seeker
                            Neptunians RULE!
                            • Feb 20, 2008

Right On Huedell. Its all about choice. If there wasn't a market there wouldn't be a line. Sure I'm not going to buy every single jedi star fighter repaint or redone main character but I love some of the new original figures they are coming out with.

Personally I like the expanded universe.

A side note anyone see Star Wars is going to do the BAF "Build a figure" deal this year? Supposedly there will be different droid parts in each figure back to several different astromechs.
                            Last edited by Seeker; Mar 11, '08, 5:35 PM.
                            Lo there do I see my Father.
                            Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
                            Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
                            Lo they do call me.
                            They bid me take my place among them.
                            In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• MarkStalcup
                              • Feb 6, 2008

I personally will not rest until I get the Ice Cream Maker Guy from Bespin. Because, you know, there is none more nerdy than those who know who that ancillary useless character is...and they're making him soon. No joke.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎