X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJ-Paratrooper
    Museum Patron
    • Mar 1, 2008

AJ Rivets / Complexion / Shine ?

I read on the site about AJ being issued with both metal and plastic rivets. All the ones I had when I was a kid had the plastic ones. I've also seen how some here only saw the metal ones when they were younger.

Am I correct in assuming that the plastic ones came first, were possibly not as durable and were later "upgraded" with metal ones? Or did Mego just do whatever was practical or was on-hand at the time?

I've also noticed some AJs have really red lips...especially the non-bearded ones. Some are more natural. I believe the ones I had were really red.

I've also noticed some AJs are really shiny....like coated with clearcoat or something.

Am I also correct in assuming Mego just issued AJ in many different subtle variations or are some of them I'm seeing on ebay simply restorations?

Please educate me. Thanks!
    Last edited by AJ-Paratrooper; Mar 10, '08, 7:31 PM. Reason: I'm inarticulate sometimes
    DO AND DARE! HE'S EVERYWHERE!
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Metal rivets came first,then plastic. I'll defer the other questions to others here who know more about them than I do.

Comment

• z3zep
      The Girl Next Door
      • Sep 30, 2006

Originally posted by AJ-Paratrooper

Am I correct in assuming that the plastic ones came first, were possibly not as durable and were later "upgraded" with metal ones? Or did Mego just do whatever was practical or was on-hand at the time?

Am I also correct in assuming Mego just issued AJ in many different subtle variations or are some of them I'm seeing on ebay simply restorations?
      I always thought that in AJ's case the plastic rivets came first??? We will have to wait for a AJ expert to post on this.

Also, yes Mego issued AJ with many subtle face paint differences, but most don't make them more "collectable" than others. The main varities that people collect are based on skin color and hair color -- not face paint differences.

In addition, many of the boxed outfits have variations in the outfits as well. Some of those are more desirable than others.

btw -- welcome to the MM
      Last edited by z3zep; Mar 11, '08, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• z3zep
        The Girl Next Door
        • Sep 30, 2006

Duplicate post <sorry>

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

I thought it was the same way with AJ as it was with WGSH. I think that's why I said I'll defer to someone who knows more than I do.

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

I think it's plastic then metal. That's why they aren't as common. There are also differences in the outfits as well such as the plastic rescue helmet and the white M-16.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

When I got my first black AJ (when they first came out), he had metal rivets.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                Museum Patron
                • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                When I got my first black AJ (when they first came out), he had metal rivets.
                For a totally irrational reason I've gotta get one or two with the plastic rivets. This is only because that's the way they came when I had 'em as a kid. I do remember how cool that joint looked in the wrist. For some reason that image cuts through the fog of 1973....

It's obvious that they came with either type. I also recall mine had really red lips. Almost like lipstick & my brother kinda made fun of AJ....I also noticed that not all of 'em are that red.

I'm getting the picture that AJ came in all sorts of versions.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                  MeGoing
                  • May 14, 2003

I'm 99&#37; sure they came with metal rivets first.

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                    Museum Patron
                    • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                    I'm 99% sure they came with metal rivets first.
                    I don't doubt it since I believe I was throwing AJ across the football field with his parachute in 1974-1975. I got him new in the box from K-Mart & that was relatively late for AJ.

Comment

• GreenLantern9999
                      GL of Mego Sector
                      • Oct 8, 2007

Just so I am clear we are talking about a Type 1 body with plastic rivets and not the difference of type 1 body and type 2 body, right?
                      No body takes pot shots at Lubic! Good Journey

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

Think so. At least I was.

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
                          Museum Patron
                          • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by GreenLantern9999
                          Just so I am clear we are talking about a Type 1 body with plastic rivets and not the difference of type 1 body and type 2 body, right?
                          Yes, I'm inquiring about the two types of wrist joints on Type 1 bodies.

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

The fact that other T-1-bodied figures had metal rivets would lead me to believe that plastic rivets came first. If they came second, I think we would have seen them on other lines (WGSH, POTA, etc.) when they were introduced on T1 bodies.

I defer, however, to Anthony (Abmac), who is probably the member here with the most extensive AJ knowledge.
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• megocrazy
                              Museum Trouble Maker
                              • Feb 18, 2007

There was a plastic "rivet" body that was first released with AJ and the first four WGSH have also been found on that body. It's not really a rivet but a molded male to female application. Some people have referred to them as Type 0 bodies. Which probably started when comic companies started that whole #0 deal. It actually makes it easier to understand. They then went to the riveted type 1 bodies which were similar to the originals but had the molded piece removed and were mounted with a rivet/washer combination in the holes that were left by the removal. They then came out with the all plastic type 2 bodies. No rivets and a basic pin hinge design. This is the body that most resembles the repro bodies we see today from Doc and CTVT, though some are better than others in quality they look similar. Except for that whole pee-pee dance thing that can happen sometimes, but that's another story. I believe that is how the story goes.
                              It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎