PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

DaBillmann
Apr 19, '14, 1:30 PM
So, I must say, I am somewhat annoyed by the line up for the FTC retro DC figures. It's no big surprise, figure companies always do this, and frankly I KNOW that it may improve more in the future, but, they have 42 figures announced or pictured. I have seperated them into three categories.

Heros Villains Civilians
Batman 3 Joker Bruce Wayne
Robin 4 (counting Nightwing) Penguin Dick Grayson
Batgirl Riddler Alfred Pennyworth
Superman 2 (counting super boy) Catwoman James Gordon
SuperGirl Rhas Al Ghul Lois Lane
Captain Marvel Scarecrow Jimmy Olson
Maptain Marvel JR Dr Sivana
Mary Marvel Bizarro
Green Lantern Mr Mxyzptlk
Green Arrow
Wonder Woman
Flash
Hawkman
Aquaman
Speedy
Aqualad
Kid Flash
Wonder Girl
Starfire
Raven
Cyborg

Does anybody else see a problem with the ratio? 21 villains and only 9 villains, 7 of whom are non super powered. I hate it when toy companies do this. it's great to have the heros, but who are they supposed to fight? I can see Nightwing, but do we really need Superboy, two more Robins and two more Batmans plus six civilians when we could have 11 more villains?

sorry. I may be the only one who feels thsi way but needed to vent.

Oh, and if I don't buy them, it won't be because of this, LOL. It'll be because I am broke.

DaBillmann
Apr 19, '14, 1:32 PM
Argh. My categories ran together and I can't figure a quick fix!

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Apr 19, '14, 1:48 PM
Heroes sell better than villains? I think that's all it is.

EMCE Hammer
Apr 19, '14, 3:39 PM
I can see where you're coming from, but it's a tried and true formula.

jwyblejr
Apr 19, '14, 4:25 PM
On the bright side,most companies no longer believe girl figures won't sell.

madmarva
Apr 19, '14, 4:39 PM
I don't think the fact that some characters aren't on the back of the two-packs necessarily means those figures won't be made or not be available before some of the ones that are listed are made.

I've got to believe Superman villains like Brianiac, Toyman (Super Friends connection) and probably Luthor will be made and possibly before a characters like Superboy or even Jimmy Olson and Lois Lane.

I may be dead wrong about that, but with Ras and Scarecrow coming fairly early on, I don't think they are going to ignore the villains as much as the so far announced figures would make it seem.

jacsfc
Apr 19, '14, 7:53 PM
I am more annoyed by people complaining about them. Whether it is the character choices or the sculpts. Just be happy we are getting them at all.

VinMan
Apr 19, '14, 8:23 PM
i am more annoyed by people complaining about them. Whether it is the character choices or the sculpts. Just be happy we are getting them at all.

best quote i have seen on this board ever

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Apr 19, '14, 8:48 PM
I am more annoyed by people complaining about them. Whether it is the character choices or the sculpts. Just be happy we are getting them at all.

Thank you. Smacks of being given a million dollars and immediately complaining that your taxes will be outrageous.

Boywonder0
Apr 19, '14, 9:07 PM

^^^ Well said!

monitor_ep
Apr 19, '14, 9:07 PM
If it were not for FTC releasing Re-Megos I would have not be collecting anything. I have a huge collection of JLU, both release and customs. I refused to collect anything that Mattel has released one they stopped doing JLU. I also do not care for 90% of the DCNU.

Once I found out about the DC Re-Megos I have been going really strong and getting caught up. So yes I am happy that FTC is releasing more DC Megos, and I hope soon we will get Marvel Megos. I also like my Aliens and Monsters, but they can be mixed in with the heroes so all is good. I have a new collection to work on and more stiff to spend my money on.

DaBillmann
Apr 19, '14, 9:50 PM
I am sorry. i thought this was a forum where I was free to express my feelings about a line of figures. I thought i had a right to prefer to see more than nine villains, most of which would stand no chance in a fight against the heros created. And yes, I am nearly fifty years old and I DO play with my action figures sometiems. And YES, I AM glad to see they are making them. But, I feel I have a right to put my opinion out there if I am less than satisfied about hte lineup of the figures. I figure the ones pictured are likely to get made before other characters, otherwise they wouldn't be pictured, and FTC would not have gone on record as saying "Most if not all of them will be made". I may very well be wrong about that, but it seems like the oens announced or pictured are coming first.

VinMan
Apr 19, '14, 9:53 PM
I am sorry. i thought this was a forum where I was free to express my feelings about a line of figures. I thought i had a right to prefer to see more than nine villains, most of which would stand no chance in a fight against the heros created. And yes, I am nearly fifty years old and I DO play with my action figures sometiems. And YES, I AM glad to see they are making them. But, I feel I have a right to put my opinion out there if I am less than satisfied about hte lineup of the figures. I figure the ones pictured are likely to get made before other characters, otherwise they wouldn't be pictured, and FTC would not have gone on record as saying "Most if not all of them will be made". I may very well be wrong about that, but it seems like the oens announced or pictured are coming first.

Love your opinion!! It just is not mine. I am glad we don't all think the same thing... otherwise what would be the point of all this???

It would be boring as all paperclips if we all thought the same thing...

DaBillmann
Apr 19, '14, 10:20 PM
Love your opinion!! It just is not mine. I am glad we don't all think the same thing... otherwise what would be the point of all this???

It would be boring as all paperclips if we all thought the same thing...

Sorry if I was snappish but a couple of people sounded like they were telling me to stop whining and take what I can get.

sprytel
Apr 19, '14, 10:26 PM
I agree, you are entitled to your opinion... and it is interesting to get an opposing perspective. But when you start a thread called "Am I the only one?", don't be shocked when people post to express their disagreement. You asked for them to do it right there in the title.

DaBillmann
Apr 19, '14, 10:31 PM
I agree, you are entitled to your opinion... and it is interesting to get an opposing perspective. But when you start a thread called "Am I the only one?", don't be shocked when people post to express their disagreement. You asked for them to do it right there in the title.

Uhhhhhhh, I wasn't shocked by people disagreeing with me and actually expected people to. and I expected to be in the minority. what I was surprised by was people sounding irritated with me for my opinion. Sorry but comments like "I am more annoyed by people complaining......" sounded a lot like "keep it to yourself" to me.

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Apr 19, '14, 10:33 PM
Sorry if I was snappish but a couple of people sounded like they were telling me to stop whining and take what I can get.

BTW of the first 8 figures that have been released by FTC, half are villains. What you're getting is near perfect Mego replicas plus additional villains like Ras and Scarecrow that Mego never created.

I couldn't be happier. Sorry that you aren't.

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Apr 19, '14, 10:35 PM
Uhhhhhhh, I wasn't shocked by people disagreeing with me and actually expected people to. and I expected to be in the minority. what I was surprised by was people sounding irritated with me for my opinion. Sorry but comments like "I am more annoyed by people complaining......" sounded a lot like "keep it to yourself" to me.

'People' is plural. It wasn't singling you out, there have been complaints about every announcement around this line. Ironically, many of the complaints center on FTC doing too good of a job replicating the Megos, which is exactly what many here have claimed they wanted all along.

DaBillmann
Apr 19, '14, 10:45 PM
BTW of the first 8 figures that have been released by FTC, half are villains. What you're getting is near perfect Mego replicas plus additional villains like Ras and Scarecrow that Mego never created.

I couldn't be happier. Sorry that you aren't.

Oh yeah I get THAT, and when it was just the Batman line, I was fine with it. and I AM happy that they are making them.

DaBillmann
Apr 19, '14, 10:53 PM
'People' is plural. It wasn't singling you out, there have been complaints about every announcement around this line. Ironically, many of the complaints center on FTC doing too good of a job replicating the Megos, which is exactly what many here have claimed they wanted all along.

Oh yes,. sorry if I came across like I felt singled out. I felt I was one of a number of people being told to shut up. LOL

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Apr 19, '14, 11:08 PM
Oh yes,. sorry if I came across like I felt singled out. I felt I was one of a number of people being told to shut up. LOL

Wait till Batman Wave 4 comes out and someone complains that they have released too many villains so far :)

DaBillmann
Apr 19, '14, 11:12 PM
Wait till Batman Wave 4 comes out and someone complains that they have released too many villains so far :)

LOL. LOL. And of course, LOL.

that would TRULY be irony at its best.

Starroid Raiders Dagon
Apr 20, '14, 4:14 AM
I think the business model is the reason we get more heroes (just like was mentioned earlier in the thread). I remember seeing so many He-Man figures during the relaunch but hardly any villains. Anyhow, I am with you on the villains. I wasn't thrilled with the ones packaged on the two-pack, but before I mentioned it, the Scarecrow head appeared so I am excited about that. It would be cool to see someone redo the Tomland Space Raiders so that we had generic villains to battle the heroes as well. They would work well for the 8 (or 7?) inch line of Power Rangers as they never make enough of the bad guys for that line.

PNGwynne
Apr 20, '14, 7:02 AM
Honestly, the support here in the aggregate for FTC has been very high--if "we" can't discuss concerns and share opinions here, what is the point of a forum, which is by definition " a medium where ideas & views on a particular issue can be exchanged" ?

The debate over sculpts, "off-model" or not, is as old as vintage Mego itself, as are wave assortments. We can indulge--yes, indulge--in it now even as we did then. The difference is, now it MAY have some impact.

The attitude of "take what you get & like it" is just as prevalent here as "oh, they screwed it up."

I advocate buying what you like, and enjoying what you buy. Vote with your wallet and let the market decide.

In fact--and our community has demonstrated this again & again--we will support reMego lines warts & all. "Naysaying" is largely venting, IMO and if we're anxious about assortments, where better to express it than here?

I'll be buying two Scarecrows regardless, so surely I'm entitled to my two cents.

DaBillmann
Apr 20, '14, 9:08 AM
Honestly, the support here in the aggregate for FTC has been very high--if "we" can't discuss concerns and share opinions here, what is the point of a forum, which is by definition " a medium where ideas & views on a particular issue can be exchanged" ?

The debate over sculpts, "off-model" or not, is as old as vintage Mego itself, as are wave assortments. We can indulge--yes, indulge--in it now even as we did then. The difference is, now it MAY have some impact.

The attitude of "take what you get & like it" is just as prevalent here as "oh, they screwed it up."

I advocate buying what you like, and enjoying what you buy. Vote with your wallet and let the market decide.

In fact--and our community has demonstrated this again & again--we will support reMego lines warts & all. "Naysaying" is largely venting, IMO and if we're anxious about assortments, where better to express it than here?

I'll be buying two Scarecrows regardless, so surely I'm entitled to my two cents.

Yeah, basically what I was doing was venting and looking to see if anybody else felt the same way. I have had this issue with most action figure lines.

HardyGirl
Apr 20, '14, 10:47 AM
I have 2 Doc Mego Robin head figures, (1 blonde, and 1 black haired), and I put a red jumpsuit and boots on one and a blue jumpsuit and boots on the other, and put a lightning bolt sticker on the red, and a star sticker on the blue. A little boy I used to babysit, said these guys were villains, "Evil Lightning and Mr. Star". My point is that you can fill in the gaps w/ your own custom or kitbashed figures, and you'd probably be happier w/ those than anything FTC came up with. And as far as the ratio, don't teams and legions and leagues fight one or two villains, anyway? Just look at the Superfriends. Except for "Challenge" most of the time, the whole group was fighting 1 super villain and his minion. So if you think of it that way, it sorta makes sense.

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Apr 20, '14, 11:09 AM
The complaints don't bother me, they are healthy IMO. What bothers me is consistently complaining about every new development and then attaching a hypothetical instead of an actual. Such as "There's a broken arm about to be packaged" or "A missing belt is going on" or "Too many figures too soon, quality will suffer!" or "sculpt removed too fast so it is misshapen" or "Why didn't they 'fix' Speedy's costume, how hard is that?!?"

What we as Mego collectors told FTC (and any company that tried to revitalize the line) was that we wanted correct and accurate reproductions of existing Mego characters and new characters that Mego missed, produced faithfully from the Mego era (70s, very early 80s).

So far, FTC is giving us exactly what we asked for, and we are still criticizing their every movement. If they are truly paying attention to us, they have to be pulling their hair out wondering WTH.

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Apr 20, '14, 11:38 AM
I have 2 Doc Mego Robin head figures, (1 blonde, and 1 black haired), and I put a red jumpsuit and boots on one and a blue jumpsuit and boots on the other, and put a lightning bolt sticker on the red, and a star sticker on the blue. A little boy I used to babysit, said these guys were villains, "Evil Lightning and Mr. Star". My point is that you can fill in the gaps w/ your own custom or kitbashed figures, and you'd probably be happier w/ those than anything FTC came up with. And as far as the ratio, don't teams and legions and leagues fight one or two villains, anyway? Just look at the Superfriends. Except for "Challenge" most of the time, the whole group was fighting 1 super villain and his minion. So if you think of it that way, it sorta makes sense.

I think most of us want to see the Legion of Doom lineup of villains from the Super Friends completed, and a handful of others that Mego never made like Deathstroke. But the thing we all need to remember is that:

1 - FTC is a business trying to make money
2 - Villains don't sell as well as heroes

So FTC is going to make more heroes which means that in order to get a healthy roster of villains, FTC has to continue to see sales that are strong enough to justify continuing to introduce new waves of figures. So far it seems sales are very good, but we have to remember that we'll need to see over a dozen or more waves to put a serious dent in the villain lineup that most of us want to see.

Money talks, if you don't buy the heroes now FTC assumes you won't buy the villains later. Not saying anyone should buy heroes now that they don't want on the hope it leads to villains they DO want later, just trying to explain FTC's position. Even though Anthony is a Mego fan, he's also a businessman.

DaBillmann
Apr 20, '14, 11:57 AM

Darn you Hardygirl! How dare you go and make sense!

And yeah, often that happens, but, I like my heros and villains to FIGHT, as in punching and kicking and firing eye blasts. Unless the villain is Darkseid, that doesn;t usually work out too good for the one lone villain. LOL.

DaBillmann
Apr 20, '14, 12:11 PM
I think most of us want to see the Legion of Doom lineup of villains from the Super Friends completed, and a handful of others that Mego never made like Deathstroke. But the thing we all need to remember is that:

1 - FTC is a business trying to make money
2 - Villains don't sell as well as heroes

So FTC is going to make more heroes which means that in order to get a healthy roster of villains, FTC has to continue to see sales that are strong enough to justify continuing to introduce new waves of figures. So far it seems sales are very good, but we have to remember that we'll need to see over a dozen or more waves to put a serious dent in the villain lineup that most of us want to see.

Money talks, if you don't buy the heroes now FTC assumes you won't buy the villains later. Not saying anyone should buy heroes now that they don't want on the hope it leads to villains they DO want later, just trying to explain FTC's position. Even though Anthony is a Mego fan, he's also a businessman.

Oh yes, I understand they are in it to make money. I guess I don't comprehend the whole thing about heros selling better. Especially in a market like this, where people are buying the thigns for themselves, due to a love for the characters, as well as a love for Megos as opposed to buying a kid a Christmas present. Seems like there are enough completists out there that villains would sel las well as heros.

I guess now yo usee why I don't own a toy company. LOL

sprytel
Apr 20, '14, 1:56 PM
I was curious the market value for heroes vs. villains, so I searched Amazon for the going rates for the Mattel Retro Action figures. I excluded the Green Arrow figure and the Green Lantern wave, because it didn't follow the hero/villain pairing of the rest of the waves.

Heroes

Wonder Woman $84.98
Flash $49.99
Green Lantern (Hal) $43.98
Batman $33.99
Aquaman $29.99
Superman $27.99
Captain Marvel $14.81
Martian Manhunter $9.99

Total: $267.73

Villains

Two Face $55.29
Black Manta $24.99
Lex Luthor $19.99
Cheetah $19.95
Captain Cold $17.95
Sinestro $11.95
Darkseid $8.07
Black Adam $6.47

Total: $164.66

Assuming these prices have some relation to supply & demand, then... yes, the heroes sell significantly better than the villains.

The only villain worth more now than when it first went on sale is Two Face. Which may be the best in terms of quality, but it is also from the Batman rogue's gallery. So that may explain some of the Batman focus with FTC.

Also, just anecdotally, these prices seem to be drifting a little higher than they have in the past. I wonder if that is the influence of the FTC repros drawing folks into discovering and collecting these.

PNGwynne
Apr 20, '14, 2:42 PM
Helpful comparison, Sprytel--thank you.

I think most of us want to see the Legion of Doom lineup of villains from the Super Friends completed, and a handful of others that Mego never made like Deathstroke...So FTC is going to make more heroes which means that in order to get a healthy roster of villains, FTC has to continue to see sales that are strong enough to justify continuing to introduce new waves of figures. So far it seems sales are very good, but we have to remember that we'll need to see over a dozen or more waves to put a serious dent in the villain lineup that most of us want to see.

I completely agree with this--in fact, I'd break down the remaining vintage reissues even more to accommodate new characters: Two Superman waves, one each for WW, Aquaman, Green Arrow, & Shazam! In fact, Capt Marvel could likely support two waves easily. (But maybe I only feel that way because I think the Big Red Cheese is awesome :grin:.)

jwyblejr
Apr 20, '14, 3:28 PM
Oh yes, I understand they are in it to make money. I guess I don't comprehend the whole thing about heros selling better. Especially in a market like this, where people are buying the thigns for themselves, due to a love for the characters, as well as a love for Megos as opposed to buying a kid a Christmas present. Seems like there are enough completists out there that villains would sel las well as heros.

I guess now yo usee why I don't own a toy company. LOL

Because the hero model is something companies have been using for decades. It's why you'll see 20 different versions of Batman. It's depends on who both kids and parents know. Nowadays with adult collectors,it really doesn't mean as much.

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Apr 20, '14, 3:46 PM
Helpful comparison, Sprytel--thank you.

I completely agree with this--in fact, I'd break down the remaining vintage reissues even more to accommodate new characters: Two Superman waves, one each for WW, Aquaman, Green Arrow, & Shazam! In fact, Capt Marvel could likely support two waves easily. (But maybe I only feel that way because I think the Big Red Cheese is awesome :grin:.)

What are you thinking, the Marvel family then a wave of villains? Always been a fan of Shazam, and I'd always felt that if was BS that DC won their lawsuit against Fawcett and the Marvel universe, which they IMO buried over the years.

thunderbolt
Apr 20, '14, 4:30 PM
I'd beak up the Marvel family into two waves Cap and Mary in one and Jr. and Uncle? in the other. With villains to round out the waves.

PNGwynne
Apr 20, '14, 5:19 PM
*Capt. Marvel (reissue), Billy Batson (child), Dr. Sivana (teen) w/ Mr. Mind accessory, Ibac
*Mary Marvel, Cap Jr. (teen), Black Adam, Kull the Beast-Man (or Mr. Atom)

Regarding foes, I can't see FTC being able to do Capt. Nazi properly unless the emblem is a detached, sealed accessory, so I opted for Kull/Atom. Kull could use a repro OMBC Grok head, barbarian accessories, with the horned helmet being re-marketable; Atom would need an original head & screened suit.

monitor_ep
Apr 20, '14, 8:13 PM
On the Mattel, if you shop you can find them all cheap. I have gotten Aquaman, Batman, and Wonder Woman off of Ebay for under $20 each. You just have to shop and wait. I love buy it now!

ovenmitt
Apr 20, '14, 8:52 PM
Cannot leave out Shazam the Wizard himself and Mr Tawky Tawny the tiger!

And I prefer Mary Marvel as she looked on 1981 Filmation Shazam cartoon part of Kid Super Power Hour on Saturday morning!

Hulk
Apr 25, '14, 3:46 PM
I like that you posted this thread, because it would be nice to see more villians, but besides the "you should take what you can get" contingent, open dialogue and suggestions are always a good thing.

Let's be honest, FTC has a history here as CTVT. They seem to be doing a better job of reaching out to the community and asking what we want. Not that they will always listen, but they have in the past, although sometimes with a thin skin. Its hard to listen when you are making things with a passion and all you hear are the complaints (poor quality, terrible selection choices, etc), but even in CTVT's initial run up, they did things we recommended, like marking repros (up to a point), making different color accessories, boots, bodies, etc, that were almost all suggested by museum members, often through me.

Without threads like these, and suggestions to help round out the lines mentioned, then they might just assume a satisfaction with the selections that precludes them from making villians, or playsets, or vehicles, etc.

Its easy to see the potential for possible villians in the bottom half of your list where none are listed. And as others have pointed out, villians don't sell as well, but that is something toy companies handle by making less and having heavier hero to villian ratios in their case pack.

So I will play the home game with you and have thrown my comments into your list with villians I think they should make. Not always the villians I want, but the ones that make the most sense from a sales perspective without giving Superman and Batman's Rogue galleries the exclusive.

So, I must say, I am somewhat annoyed by the line up for the FTC retro DC figures. It's no big surprise, figure companies always do this, and frankly I KNOW that it may improve more in the future, but, they have 42 figures announced or pictured. I have seperated them into three categories.

Heros Villains Civilians
Batman 3 Joker Bruce Wayne
Robin 4 (counting Nightwing) Penguin Dick Grayson
Batgirl Riddler Alfred Pennyworth
Superman 2 (counting super boy) Catwoman James Gordon
SuperGirl Rhas Al Ghul Lois Lane
Captain Marvel Scarecrow Jimmy Olson
Maptain Marvel JR Dr Sivana - BLACK ADAM seems like a no brainer to me here
Mary Marvel Bizarro
Green Lantern Mr Mxyzptlk - SINESTRO would be hard to pass up, and an Alternative Hal Jordan PARALLAX would be a nice reuse of the head mold
Green Arrow - I would say he doesn't really have a marketable enough arch enemy, although MERLYN would be my suggestion if they go this route (TV show and Archer vs Archer rational)
Wonder Woman - CHEETAH would be the obvious choice again (notice the similarity to Mattel's choices, as with BLACK ADAM and SINESTRO), although I would argue that she might not warrant making initially sales wise, and might be an opportunity to make a general villian pair up...
Flash - REVERSE FLASH/PROFESSOR ZOOM, using the recognition factor, and repurposing arguements. CAPTAIN COLD would be nice too down the line
Hawkman - Again, not enough known enemies, like Green Arrow and Wonder Woman, so another opportunity for a general villian, or I'd be happier with HAWKGIRL and screw this whole Hero to villian model ;)
Aquaman - BLACK MANTA is the only choice I see as viable (again, Mattel got this right)
Speedy
Aqualad
Kid Flash
Wonder Girl
Starfire
Raven
Cyborg - The Teen Titans present a lot of challenges and opportunities here. DEATHSTROKE is the only obvious one to me, but adding some general DC bad guys to the mix would be nice. DOCTOR LIGHT, DEADSHOT, GORILLA GRODD, SOLOMON GRUNDY, etc. Mixing some of these general or lesser bad guys gives FTC the chance to remarket some of them with the others planned into variant LEGION OF DOOM packages, a technique they are clearly using to boost sales of characters.

Does anybody else see a problem with the ratio? 21 villains and only 9 villains, 7 of whom are non super powered. I hate it when toy companies do this. it's great to have the heros, but who are they supposed to fight? I can see Nightwing, but do we really need Superboy, two more Robins and two more Batmans plus six civilians when we could have 11 more villains?

sorry. I may be the only one who feels thsi way but needed to vent.

Oh, and if I don't buy them, it won't be because of this, LOL. It'll be because I am broke.