PDA

View Full Version : FTC Scarecrow headsculpt redux...

enyawd72
Apr 17, '14, 7:04 AM
Not feeling the demonic look they went with, so I whipped up my ideal Scarecrow design...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/DwaynePinkney/PinkneyScarecrow_zpsb0bc6395.jpg (http://s306.photobucket.com/user/DwaynePinkney/media/PinkneyScarecrow_zpsb0bc6395.jpg.html)

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Apr 17, '14, 7:08 AM
Someone posted a picture of the cover of Joker #8 on FTC's page. The likeness on the cover is almost a dead-wringer for the head sculpt. Although I'll admit if you wanted Super Friends, it's not exactly the same.

enyawd72
Apr 17, '14, 7:13 AM
Someone posted a picture of the cover of Joker #8 on FTC's page. The likeness on the cover is almost a dead-wringer for the head sculpt. Although I'll admit if you wanted Super Friends, it's not exactly the same.

I just checked out that cover...well, I stand corrected. I'd never seen him look like that in the comics, but there it is...
I'm gonna pick that issue up.

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Apr 17, '14, 7:19 AM
I think in this case 'Mego style' for a lot of people means 'Super Friends'. So I get it with Scarecrow. Also, with the way the sculpt looks it seems like it would be easy to darken in the eyes a bit and make them more in line with what he looked like on the Super Friends. I won't, but for those of you that really want that look, seems like a few small tweaks could get you closer.

Will be very interesting to see how they handle his costume.

PNGwynne
Apr 18, '14, 5:01 PM
I love your version, D--kinda Schaffenberger, not so wrinkly. I do not like the "smile" on the FTC one.

enyawd72
Apr 18, '14, 5:07 PM
I love your version, D--kinda Schaffenberger, not so wrinkly. I do not like the "smile" on the FTC one.

Thanks Scott...I always envisioned Scarecrow's face as looking like a burlap bag stretched tightly over a skull. And I think the downturned mouth looks more menacing than a smile...but that's just my personal taste.
There's nothing wrong with FTC's sculpt. I'm warming up to it after seeing some of the 70's source material presented here.

PNGwynne
Apr 18, '14, 5:34 PM
Thanks Scott...I always envisioned Scarecrow's face as looking like a burlap bag stretched tightly over a skull.

Alex Ross thinks that way, too--a skull-like gas-mask underneath, no doubt.

As Player noted, deco can also enhance or mitigate the texturing.

wayne foundation 07
Apr 18, '14, 5:49 PM
Awe man dude that's so awesome , that frowny mean face is over the top. It screams out Super Friends to me . Your talent continues to just blow me away.

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Apr 18, '14, 5:54 PM
Scarecrow's sculpt is definitely sinister and that's what makes it look a bit out of place with the existing Megos. But I think once we see it alongside Ras, and the '70s style' Batman and Robin that it will seem like a better fit.

PNGwynne
Apr 18, '14, 6:03 PM
Scarecrow's sculpt is definitely sinister and that's what makes it look a bit out of place with the existing Megos. But I think once we see it alongside Ras, and the '70s style' Batman and Robin that it will seem like a better fit.

Ach, IDK--for me not quite sinister enough, and too woody.

It's difficult to assess without seeing a final paint scheme and the costuming. I'm assuming FTC chose a more textured & expressive sculpt because the costume is fairly plain.

captact
Apr 18, '14, 8:11 PM
Not always did Mego base their figures on Super Friends....just look at Catwoman,... based on a comic issue, Iron Man with a nose....also based on a comic issue, Penguin with those ridiculous pants showing his socks,..also based (wrongly) on a comic arts POV and angle,..maybe if they chose a pic of him walking,..he'd have his pants at least like the Joker's pants,..or all the way down like those of the Wizard of Oz....

PNGwynne
Apr 18, '14, 8:54 PM
Those aren't socks--they're spats Mego was trying to acknowledge. You're perhaps correct though about the influence of the Infantino art.

EMCE Hammer
Apr 19, '14, 3:44 PM
If you have a beef with the sculpt, your beef is really with DC. Anything that isn't a straight repro has a much more stringent approval process. There won't be any smiling oven-mitty sculpts on characters that break new ground.

madmarva
Apr 26, '14, 4:47 PM
^that's great news.:yes: