X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

FTC Scarecrow headsculpt redux...

Not feeling the demonic look they went with, so I whipped up my ideal Scarecrow design...

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
    • Feb 27, 2014

Someone posted a picture of the cover of Joker #8 on FTC's page. The likeness on the cover is almost a dead-wringer for the head sculpt. Although I'll admit if you wanted Super Friends, it's not exactly the same.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
      Someone posted a picture of the cover of Joker #8 on FTC's page. The likeness on the cover is almost a dead-wringer for the head sculpt. Although I'll admit if you wanted Super Friends, it's not exactly the same.
      I just checked out that cover...well, I stand corrected. I'd never seen him look like that in the comics, but there it is...
      I'm gonna pick that issue up.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

I think in this case 'Mego style' for a lot of people means 'Super Friends'. So I get it with Scarecrow. Also, with the way the sculpt looks it seems like it would be easy to darken in the eyes a bit and make them more in line with what he looked like on the Super Friends. I won't, but for those of you that really want that look, seems like a few small tweaks could get you closer.

Will be very interesting to see how they handle his costume.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I love your version, D--kinda Schaffenberger, not so wrinkly. I do not like the "smile" on the FTC one.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I love your version, D--kinda Schaffenberger, not so wrinkly. I do not like the "smile" on the FTC one.
            Thanks Scott...I always envisioned Scarecrow's face as looking like a burlap bag stretched tightly over a skull. And I think the downturned mouth looks more menacing than a smile...but that's just my personal taste.
            There's nothing wrong with FTC's sculpt. I'm warming up to it after seeing some of the 70's source material presented here.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
              Thanks Scott...I always envisioned Scarecrow's face as looking like a burlap bag stretched tightly over a skull.
              Alex Ross thinks that way, too--a skull-like gas-mask underneath, no doubt.

As Player noted, deco can also enhance or mitigate the texturing.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                Time to feed the cat
                • Dec 30, 2007

Awe man dude that's so awesome , that frowny mean face is over the top. It screams out Super Friends to me . Your talent continues to just blow me away.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Scarecrow's sculpt is definitely sinister and that's what makes it look a bit out of place with the existing Megos. But I think once we see it alongside Ras, and the '70s style' Batman and Robin that it will seem like a better fit.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                    Scarecrow's sculpt is definitely sinister and that's what makes it look a bit out of place with the existing Megos. But I think once we see it alongside Ras, and the '70s style' Batman and Robin that it will seem like a better fit.
                    Ach, IDK--for me not quite sinister enough, and too woody.

It's difficult to assess without seeing a final paint scheme and the costuming. I'm assuming FTC chose a more textured & expressive sculpt because the costume is fairly plain.

Comment

• captact
                      King of Super Queens!
                      • Aug 19, 2007

Not always did Mego base their figures on Super Friends....just look at Catwoman,... based on a comic issue, Iron Man with a nose....also based on a comic issue, Penguin with those ridiculous pants showing his socks,..also based (wrongly) on a comic arts POV and angle,..maybe if they chose a pic of him walking,..he'd have his pants at least like the Joker's pants,..or all the way down like those of the Wizard of Oz....

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Those aren't socks--they're spats Mego was trying to acknowledge. You're perhaps correct though about the influence of the Infantino art.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                          Moderation Engineer
                          • Aug 14, 2003

If you have a beef with the sculpt, your beef is really with DC. Anything that isn't a straight repro has a much more stringent approval process. There won't be any smiling oven-mitty sculpts on characters that break new ground.

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

^that's great news.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡