PDA

View Full Version : FTC versions vs. Mattel Retro?

PNGwynne
Mar 30, '14, 10:36 AM
There's been a lot of discussion here about DC FTC waves--most of us enjoy speculating about what's next. But should FTC do figures that Mattel already did pretty well, specifically foes?

I liked Mattel's Luthor, Cheetah, Capt. Cold, Two-Face, Black Manta, and Siniestro.

I guess I'd rather see Brainiac, Nubia, Mirror Master, Mr. Freeze, Ocean Master and Star Sapphire than re-workings of Mattel figures.

Of course it depends on personal taste--what do you think?

Bronxboykev
Mar 30, '14, 11:06 AM
I don't see why FTC wouldn't at least try to revisit the figures... I guess it depends on how long the interest in these figures will stay hot... It looks like they have thrown all of their resources into the DC Universe and they expect to be in this for the long haul. So I think they get made and then some.

Hedji
Mar 30, '14, 11:10 AM
I skipped Mattel entirely, so for people like me, FTC has a blank canvas. I'd like to see them proceed without any regard to what's been "done".

Brown Bear
Mar 30, '14, 11:16 AM
I loved Mattel's retro-action. Darkseid & Two-Face were off the charts for me!

That said, Mattel was still what I'd call re-mego, while FTC are putting out mego.

I'd like them to do Flash in more of a traditional mego style.

Overall, I'd rather them focus on the characters Mattel didn;t get to like Bizarro & pink Brainac, etc.

drogge
Mar 30, '14, 12:03 PM
I would rather have new figures, and not reproductions of the Mattel line. This as a time to be creative and show the fans FTC is in this for the long haul. At least give us a "new take" on the already produced Mattel line.
Here are my must haves
The Rogue Gallery (Mirror Master, Reverse Flash, Boomerang, Grod,and more!)
Dr Fate, Hawkman and Hawkgirl
Mera, Black Canary, and Lois Lane
Atom. Plastic Man, Elongated Man
Numerous Batman villians- so many to name.
Steve Trevor, Wonder Woman's mom Hippolyta, and her as Diana Prince, Wonder Woman early 70's - no powers with I Chang
Bizzaro, Brainiac,
Star Starfire, Green Lantern alien assortment.

monitor_ep
Mar 30, '14, 12:28 PM
I bought my Mattel figure off of Amazon when they were discounted. So it was worth it when I just replaced the figures with mego bodies. So for me I would not need FTC redoes unless they just look better or different.

thunderbolt
Mar 30, '14, 12:43 PM
personally, I won't repurchase figures I just did a few years ago.

hedrap
Mar 30, '14, 1:07 PM
We're beginning to see some value in ReMego's like DST Trek, Dark Shadows, Buck Rogers and CAW Phantom. If FTC held off on certain characters that could be expanded to include RA designs which would be great for the larger community. For example, if the only way to complete LOD was with RA Luthor, Manta and Sinestro, not just do their prices go up on the secondary market, but it's going to incentivize people to buy during the initial release instead of waiting to see if the line survives. IMO, this has been the hugest hurdle for ReMego's sustainability.

They need to finish Challenge o/t Superfriends, and Bizarro is a perfect fit for FTC's production model since he's more of a tweak than totally new build.

I will say I have no interest in any new figure on Shorty Muscle bodies if it doesn't fit scale. So like Etrigan would be cool, but not Grodd or Grundy.

thunderbolt
Mar 30, '14, 1:15 PM
^^^ FTC has Scarecrow on the way for LOD, too. That just leaves Brainiac, Bizarro Toyman, Grodd, Grundy and Giganta

madmarva
Mar 30, '14, 2:07 PM
To me the Mattel villains were better looking than most of the heroes. I think FTC was wise to choose Ras Al Ghul and Scarecrow to produce in wave 4 rather than do another Two Face. Likewise, following a similar plan of producing Bizzaro, Brianiac and Toyman before Luthor might be wise. But if the line is runs for a while, then I would expect such key villains as Luthor and Two Face to be done by FTC.

I agree the short muscle bodies don't do much for me. I'm not saying I absolutely wouldn't buy a Grodd, Darkseid or Grundy on that body, but I know I would buy them on an 8.5" or 9" body and probably an 8". Same for Hulk and Thing and Thanos if FTC or another company gets thenMarvel license.

As for GL, Flash, Captain Marvel and Aquaman, the Mattel figures were decent but not home runs in my book. If FTC produces a better looking figure, I'll get them. If not, we'll see.

I've yet to buy any of the FTC figures, but I'm looking forward to the Titans, 66 Batman, Batgirl (wanting to make a Hellcat custom)' Alfred and Gordon. I'll likely go back and buy the others at some point.

megonaught
Mar 30, '14, 4:46 PM
I want them done in the mego way.
To me the the mattel line while was part of the restart wasnt Mego but FTC is most defintly New Mego.
Something 10 years ago never thought would happen.

Remco Monster
Mar 30, '14, 5:36 PM
Sure they should. FTC are doing new figures that look like they could have come from Mego. Nothing against the Mattel figures, but I personally never liked them. They were just too far off from the original style for me. They reminded me of Famous Covers or something more than Mego.

Boywonder0
Mar 30, '14, 6:23 PM
FTC figures are seriously kicking butts, Mattel Retro Action figures included. Alfred Pennyworth (FTC Batman wave #3), Jim Gordon (FTC Batman wave #4) and the FTC TV Batman figures already top any Mattel rendition. Sorry Mattel, no contest here!

ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
Mar 30, '14, 7:12 PM
Sure they should. FTC are doing new figures that look like they could have come from Mego. Nothing against the Mattel figures, but I personally never liked them. They were just too far off from the original style for me. They reminded me of Famous Covers or something more than Mego.

Agree with this completely.

Hedji
Mar 30, '14, 7:41 PM

Yes. Yes.

The Bat
Mar 30, '14, 7:45 PM
I don't think some of the Mattel Villain figures need to be redone. Personally, I liked and own Twoface, Sinestro(yellow version)and Lex Luther, all decent sculpts. The Heroes on the other hand...I'd love to see FTC take a crack at Green Lantern, The Flash and a realistic BATMAN(70's style of course in keeping with the Mego era, Adams, Aparo, ETC...).

Krypt0nite
Mar 30, '14, 9:48 PM
I have no problem with FTC re-doing the same figures that Mattel made even though I doubt I would buy them, as I was satisfied with Mattel's output (especially the villains).

I would prefer that they go with characters such as Bizarro, Brainiac, and Hawkman that have never been produced in any Mego form before they start re-doing the Mattel figures, though.

m0redaniel
Mar 30, '14, 10:58 PM
Would love to see a :

Lex Luthor
Brainiac
Superfriends Black Manta
Superfriends Toyman

Someone on here made a custom Superfriends Toyman and it was amazing. Hope to see one similar like this from FTC.

luclin999
Mar 31, '14, 12:03 AM
Personally, on the villain side of things I'm happy with the Mattel Lex Luthor, Captain Cold, Two-Face and Sinestro. Cheetah isn't bad either except that her head is just a tad too big.

Hero wise I think that the Martian Manhunter is fairly "mego-like" and I am happy to finally have non-custom versions of Flash and GL which while not perfect are still the new bar that has been set for mass produced versions of those two "most wanted" characters.

monitor_ep
Mar 31, '14, 12:14 AM
The problem I had with the Hal Jordon was he would not stand up. I have replaced him with a Green Lantern Guy (I got at a discount) and he looks great now.

madmarva
Mar 31, '14, 7:29 AM
The Hal Jordan head was too large. Compare it next to Superman and Luthor. Also, didn't care for the reworked kirk head.

thunderbolt
Mar 31, '14, 8:48 AM
The Hal Jordan head was too large. Compare it next to Superman and Luthor. Also, didn't care for the reworked kirk head.

I thought the sculptor of that said it was original, even tho it was pretty obvious that is was Kirk as the base.

houseofdracula
Mar 31, '14, 10:43 AM
My guess is that they will do some repeats.

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1795745_611606635599720_764231246_n.jpg

madmarva
Mar 31, '14, 11:06 AM
I could care less about an action figure of me, but ordering a custom hero or villain sounds great.

jeffbearco
Mar 31, '14, 12:54 PM
I know there will be some repeats. Unless they tweak things a bit though, I probably will not buy them.
I would personally love to see more secret identity figures, or even figures packaged with secret identity clothes as well as their hero costumes.
I'd love to see more female characters. I'd love to see a Wonder Woman or Supergirl with a good head sculpt. I'm still not really thrilled with the original Mego versions or Mattel's take on Wonder Woman. It was good but it could be better. I'd also love to see Zatana and Black Canary!
Hawkman and Hawkgirl with removable helmets would be AWESOME!!!

JeffBearCO

megocrazy
Mar 31, '14, 12:55 PM
Mattel had several figures that were well done, if you don't count the bodies. The sculpts weren't great but I was happy with several figures, Sinestro, Guy, and Two Face were well done. I am surprised to see so many calling FTC figures as Mego's. I never heard that comparison once with Diamonds Trek redo. Those figures were 10 times the quality and the new characters were pretty much dead on. Gorn, Sulu, Chekov, and Kahn were about as good as they could have been. FTC, to this point, are no different than photocopying a baseball card for your sports collection. I could never compare Mattel or FTC to Mego. 40 years in extra technology and bodies break, don't stand, belts don't fit right and emblems crack. Like Mattel I'll buy any new characters that FTC does, because they're in scale and sort of an extension of the Mego legacy, but IMHO both had major issues with there releases that shouldn't have happened. It goes to show the power that Mego had overall. When they were in business several companies tried to copy them and 40 years later they're still trying to recapture the magic. In 40 years I wonder if people will be joining the FTC Museum or the Retro Action Museum.

jeffbearco
Mar 31, '14, 3:03 PM
And another thing...

Am I wrong for wanting a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle combo pack?

I'd also love a Blue Devil. hehehe

JeffBearCO

megocrazy
Apr 1, '14, 12:46 AM
And another thing...

Am I wrong for wanting a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle combo pack?

I'd also love a Blue Devil. hehehe

JeffBearCO

Not at all. I would much rather see new characters as well.

tllgn
Apr 1, '14, 7:06 PM
i bought the whole retro action set ,their great ,except the bodies ,however i will buy all of the figures
from FTC .They will be more true to classic mego ,its gonna be interesting to see what the figures are
gonna look like ,curious about flash ,green lantren .although i do like the simple cards they did for RA -
that was very mego like .

enyawd72
Apr 1, '14, 10:37 PM
I hope FTC makes new versions of the Mattel figures. I'd rather have a collection made up of figures all in the same style from the same company. The Mattel figures stand out like sore thumbs with their bulging hernias and gimpy legs.

monitor_ep
Apr 1, '14, 10:50 PM
Well since they already have sculpeted Green Lantern, Flash, and Hawkman, this means that yes they are going to redo the Mattel figures.

Starroid Raiders Dagon
Apr 2, '14, 2:56 AM
Well since they already have sculpeted Green Lantern, Flash, and Hawkman, this means that yes they are going to redo the Mattel figures.

Yeah, without a doubt they would redo the Mattel figures. Luthor, Two-Face and Darkseid are definite redos. Just like they keep putting Luthor in every Superman movie, because the character is iconic. I might keel over and die if they did an armor version of Luthor. I am really looking forward to seeing the sculpts of the above three. They are MUST buys for me. I love the character guide they are using. Fits right in with the retro theme.

monitor_ep
Apr 2, '14, 10:28 AM
I cannot wait to see Hawkman.

Starroid Raiders Dagon
Apr 2, '14, 3:24 PM
I know! These were my top three figures, so I am really stoked that these guys were mentioned. My top is the Flash but all three are at the top of my list. It even makes it better knowing the character guide they are using. Most of my favorites are characters that are way down the marketing list (I would think), like Robotman, ShAdE the Changing Man, The Creeper, The Demon Etrigan, Metamorpho, OMAC. I will be happy if any of those guys see the light of day butI am not holding my breath.

spiderman67
Apr 3, '14, 2:00 AM
It would be awesome to see FTC obtain the rights to do the marvel characters.Morbius,Sandman,Venom,The Punisher,Ghost Rider,Hawkeye.The list goes on and on and on and............

PNGwynne
Apr 10, '14, 4:59 PM

Jeez, me too. I've been fantasizing about that figure since I was ten.

megocrazy
Apr 10, '14, 8:13 PM
Does anyone know how long the ftc license runs for? They're gonna need a long time to produce the number of characters they're talking about.