• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

DEFECT INFO: Super Smash Bros Brawl for Wii

Hi folks.
    Today, Nintendo released Super Smash Bros Brawl in the USA for the Wii console.
    We bought it, put it in and promptly received a DRE (Disc Read Error).
    Assuming faulty disc, we returned it to the store and got a replacement.
    The replacement did the same thing.
    So, I poked around the Wii Forums around the Internet and found out more info.
    Seems this issue presented itself when the game was released in Japan (they always get the new stuff before us). Apparently, Nintendo claims the issue is with a dirty laser because the game takes advantage of the dual-layer abilities. If you call Nintendo's support hotline, 1-800-255-3700, on the main menu for Wii products, there is a dedicated option for problems with this game. I called to inquire and was told my Wii unit had to be sent in for repair. The operator knew nothing as to the nature of what needed to be repaired. They told me it would be a one week turnaround time and they will email me an RMA label for shipping. Once they "repair the unit", my warrenty will reset to zero and I will have another full year. Post here if you would like two cards- Shazam & Green Arrow, then PM me your mailing addy.
    Most folks report this issue only happens on First Gen Wii consoles. I have inspected ours and found minimal dust build up and the unit has the latest firmware.
    Guess I'll let Nintendo drop a new laser in.

.....just checked my email and received my password to FedEx to print out my shipping label.

Wii is still the coolest thing created....next to the iPhone that is LOL
  • thechris_1
    • Dec 27, 2007

I would love those two cards!!!!!

thanks
    sigpic

creating a MEGOFAN 2.0

Comment

• Hulk
      Mayor of Megoville
      • May 10, 2003

Thanks for the heads up. Not sure if I am interested in this game yet, waiting on reviews. My Wii is probably a later model since I bought it in late December and it had the new strap. Sounds like a good way to get a renewed warranty though. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

• jayihdz
        aaaggghhhh!
        • Mar 6, 2007

the egg hunt is on....cool

I will be helping too.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Just great. I've got a launch system.

I've not picked up the game yet but no doubt my system will be effected. I sincerely doubt it is because of a "dirty" laser. Just sounds like the older systems have trouble reading the new dual layer discs.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Adam West
            Museum CPA
            • Apr 14, 2003

My son purchased the game yesterday and so far no problems.

We have a 1st generation system (it was purchased back in 2006) but thanks for the heads up.
            "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
            ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Hulk
              Mayor of Megoville
              • May 10, 2003

Apparently the problem is worse in houses with smokers. Interesting.

A Wii bit of a problem - BostonHerald.com

Comment

• noelani72
                27inaleon
                • Jun 25, 2002

well, no smokers here LOL
                I sent my console off a couple days ago...fingers are crossed.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

I had to send my Xbox360 in a few months back,.. Xbox fixed it for free & now it works better than ever. It's funny,.. now my Buddy seems to be having problems with his PS3..., it weird,.. it's as if they are just releasing these systems these days, & throwing them out there until they work out all the bugs. I hope all works out well for you.
                  ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Adam West
                    Museum CPA
                    • Apr 14, 2003

I don't know if it is the case with the Wii, but I am now hearing that certain items like iPods and Digital Cameras, gaming systems, etc. sometimes have software viruses embedded in them straight from the manufacturer....wonderful!
                    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Shanester
                      Rocket-Man
                      • Jun 22, 2001

My son wants this game so I hope we don't have issues. Our system is not old as I was one of the poor souls standin in line last November.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                        Formerly known as Del
                        • Dec 12, 2004

We have a release console and the game works just fine.
                        Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                        https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                        http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

awe man, I forgot to give ya'll the update LOL

I did send off our first gen Wii for the "warrenty repair".
                          It was a 6 day turnaround from the minute it left my hands.
                          Impressive.
                          Their statement showed whatever they did, cost $75.
                          They packed in a letter about how to clean discs and taht dual layer discs are even more touchy. All of our discs are pristine and the Super Smash Bros was brand spankin new.
                          I can only assume they put a new laser carriage in it.
                          They reset my warrenty back to zero once it left their hands, so now I have another year more :-)

The boy loves the game. Pretty cool how it hooks up with other online players. It looks completely annonymous, but I'd kinda like to know who we're playing...kinda neat to think it could be someone clear around the world.

Anyways...success story afterall.
                          Cheers

Comment

• noelani72
                            27inaleon
                            • Jun 25, 2002

well sonnnn of a b....
                            our Wii broke.
                            It started the other day, giving the daughter a hard time getting a disc to read. Was coming up with a "cant read disc" error.
                            The boy tried playing Smash Bros tonite and the Wii will not read anything now. You can hear the laser carriage trying to seek and slamming itself back into Home position.
                            Nintendo kicked it up a notch when I called...all shipping is overnite now to make the repair faster.
                            Dang.
                            now I gotta box this turkey back up...head to a fedex location...
                            *sigh*
                            Everything was fine until this darn Smash Bros game....

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

I finally got a copy of Smash Bros today. Ordered it from amazon last week when it was the deal of the day. So far so good on my launch system.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎