Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If You Could Only Keep One....Superman or Batman?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

If You Could Only Keep One....Superman or Batman?

If you could only keep one, which would you retroactively erase from continuity? Superman or Batman?

I love 'em both equally but I gotta think I'd have to zap Batman with my eliminator ray. The universe and the four-color comic book world needs Superman. I think it could get by without Bats.

Of course that would mean that others would vanish too (guilt by association) such as Robin, Batgirl, The Joker.....hmmm maybe I should rethink this
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Erase Batman?
    I hate you again :tongue2:

Say bye bye to Superman
    You wouldn't be loosing too many cool villains either
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• joshvox
      Clown Prince of Crime
      • Mar 21, 2006

wow--well if I HAVE to get rid of one, I'd say Superman. I just love the bat-universe too much for it to go away.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Meule
        Erase Batman?
        I hate you again :tongue2:

Say bye bye to Superman
        You wouldn't be loosing too many cool villains either
        Yeah I hate me too! That's why I said I might have to rethink this. To me Superman is more important than Batman BUT Batman does have the cooler toys, associates, villains, vehicles etc. I'd hate to lose all of that but I think the DC Universe could get by without Bats...Superman on the other hand is a more iconic inspiration that's definitely needed.

Maybe that's the way to look at this....

1) In the comic world, get rid of Bats, keep Supes. Batman's not as important in the scheme of things.

2) In the real world get rid of Supes and keep Bats because Batman has a more complex world with lots of the aforementioned gadgets and gizmos and whatnot and is (usually) a more enjoyable read.

And to pick up what you said Thomas about not losing too many cool villains with Supes I agree. He's never had the roster of rogues that Batman has had and that's a shame. I think he's suffered greatly in this department since the Byrne reboot. Bloodsport, Silver Banshee, et. al of the "new" creations are nothing more than minor annoyances and C or D level Batman kind of foes.
        I long for the villains of the 70s...that's when Superman seemed to get some heavy hitters: Solomon Grundy, Vartox, Terra-Man (laugh if you will but cosmic space cowboy is cool!), Galactic Golem and old stand-bys Luthor and Brainiac. I don't always care for the modern interpretatoions of Lex, Brainy, Toyman, Prankster and all of those old guys either.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Ditch the big blue boyscout.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Ugh what a decision......I'd have to go with Batman Better stories Better villans Better Movies Better toys.....

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

This Tread is sacreligious! Well....My Avatar and Title says it all...BATMAN is My #1 Favorite Comic Character! I like Big Blue(buy the Comic's)...but No one's COOLER than BATMAN!
              sigpic

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

I Like Superman better,but if it means that the rest of the clan go with him,I say delete Superman,cause Batman has better people around
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

Boy! Poor Supes can't get no love!

However, everyone is right in the fact that the Batman Universe is a much cooler playground. Makes me wonder if Superman can ever reach that #1 spot again.

The Superman Returns movie probably didn't do anything to help his "lack-of-cool" factor...if anything they should have started from square one and re-introduced him for a new generation instead of building on "our" Superman of the 70s. And the toys sucked too! (And that's a key factor for grabbing the attention of the youth market)

Meanwhile Batman has been in the spotlight continously since the '89 film, what with all of the sequels and various animated series and multi-toy lines (even though he's had his share of bad too, Bats always seems to bounce back!)

To paraphrase Batman in "Infinite Crisis": The last time Superman was popular was when he was dead.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                    Stays Crunchy in Milk
                    • Aug 2, 2004

Anyone who would keep Superman over batman is wrong
                    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• brineb
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 26, 2006

Ditch Superman!!! Batman is way cooler!!!
                      I also play with other dolls:
                      http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

It's an odd question, since both are prototypical superheroes. When you get right down to it; there are only three superheroes; with everyone being a derivation thereof:

-Superman: gooder than good, fights to protect the little guy
                        -Batman: grim vigilante who fights for justice, often using the bad guys' techniques against them
                        -Spiderman: average schmo who ends up a hero because of circumstance

Taking out one of them sort of throws the equation off.

Now, Starman? HIM we can do without!

*grrr*

Don C.

Comment

• jemboy2004
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 14, 2005

throw away the first true superhero! NEVER! Batman would have to go!

Don't all hero's owe something to the first true superhero. SUPERMAN!

btw Superman Returns was perfect for the new movie. IMO anyway.

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 10, 2006

bye bye batman

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Batman's persona is minimal to Superman's overall

and, ya know---

Superman & Green Arrow would do just fine for me

Whereas teaming Batman with say Capt. Marvel just doesn't do it for me

So---yeah---get rid of Batman

And those of you that think Joker/Penguin/Riddler/Catwoman/Scarecrow etc
                              are that much better than Luthor/Bizarro/Myxlpltlk/Brainiac/Parasite etc.
                              I think are missing the incredible worth of Supes' baddies
                              --------granted ya can't beat the Joker as a villain & sure, Supes
                              needs a classic female foil slash love interest ala Catwoman----

but

heck EVEN if ya think Batman's rogues gallery is better than Superman's-
                              --to say Superman has a "poor rogue's gallery" is utterly ridiculous (altho
                              it is something fanboys have been saying for years---more to celebrate
                              Flash's baddies and Batman's and just to put a thorn in Kal-El's side
                              because he's so dang not cool to prefer)

Putting Batman over Superman is a sign of society tho'----yeah "Batman's a
                              badass---so he's gotta be the better superhero" ---well, I disagree----
                              and put my vote in for Superman anyday

Anyone who can have THAT much power and not go ballistic one day
                              heat-visioning the Batman fanclub (probably based in Metropolis) to ashes
                              is tops in my book.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎