Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Figures going to release a T1 Body???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luclin999
    Museum Patron
    • Oct 27, 2011

Is Figures going to release a T1 Body???

I just noticed that the picture for the upcoming Tarzan release shows a T1 Type body. Does this mean they are producing one?

I realize that the picture could just be a mock up using an original Mego Tarzan however if they plan on releasing it on a T2 type then it would have been extremely simple for them to have just used a T2 body for the photos instead.

• boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

Nope. They often times take the cheap route and shoot pictures of real megos and try to pass them off as prototypes. I'm not sure they even realize the difference.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by luclin999

I realize that the picture could just be a mock up using an original Mego Tarzan

I think you answered your own question there. Probably, they didn't have a prototype made, so they just used a T1 they had access to. I wouldn't forsee them doing the tooling for a T1 body just because.

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

Legit t2 Tarzans are a bit harder to find compared to T1. It was one of the figures that was being phased out when the new body was made. My guess would be that FTC procured a minty Mego Tarzan for their reference, and used it for the mock ups and PR.

Comment

• luclin999
          Museum Patron
          • Oct 27, 2011

Originally posted by Hedji
          I think you answered your own question there. Probably, they didn't have a prototype made, so they just used a T1 they had access to. I wouldn't forsee them doing the tooling for a T1 body just because.
          Very odd, because a head swap and costume change to a T2 would have taken maybe five minutes..tops.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Very odd, because a head swap and costume change to a T2 would have taken maybe five minutes..tops.
            Yeah, but if they'd used their Type 2 body, it would have broken in the photo shoot.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Good point. It would make sense to do so to make the prototype closer to finished product, wouldn't it?

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

^^ I'm not sure that was ever referred to by ftc as a prototype.

Comment

• jayraytee
                  Career Member
                  • May 27, 2011

T1 costumes don't really fit T2 bodies though, thats why circle suit spiderman costumes get destroyed a lot of the time. Although the FTC repro T2 is smaller than a Mego T2 so they could of used their body and the costume might of fit... but the FTC body might of fallen apart or the arms might of been sucked into the body.
                  My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• luclin999
                    Museum Patron
                    • Oct 27, 2011

Originally posted by rche
                    ^^ I'm not sure that was ever referred to by ftc as a prototype.
                    It says in the upper right hand corner of the picture:

*Prototypes pictured

Comment

• luclin999
                      Museum Patron
                      • Oct 27, 2011

Originally posted by jayraytee
                      T1 costumes don't really fit T2 bodies though, thats why circle suit spiderman costumes get destroyed a lot of the time. Although the FTC repro T2 is smaller than a Mego T2 so they could of used their body and the costume might of fit... but the FTC body might of fallen apart or the arms might of been sucked into the body.
                      They already make and sell a flesh colored bodysuit designed to fit their version of a T2, so there is no reason why that couldn't have been used. They also already make the dagger repro.

Heck, if they are just going with a T2 body then all they they really needed to do was to swap a Tarzan head onto their T2 body, put their own flesh suit on it, give it one of their daggers and mock up an animal skin for the prototype piece.

Matter of fact, the coloring of the bodysuit in the picture looks more like the one that they currently make vs. the vintage piece I own.
                      Last edited by luclin999; Mar 11, '14, 3:13 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

FTC has a long-standing history of using vintage Megos in their repro ads, sometimes with enhancement. Call it convenience, being disingenuous, expediency, whatever.

I cannot imagine they'd invest in a T1 repro; I'd certainly not buy a repro Tarzan in that format.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• luclin999
                          Museum Patron
                          • Oct 27, 2011

Interesting, because I would buy it just because it is in that format.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                            Alan Scott is the best GL
                            • Aug 8, 2007

I doubt it, the trend is to more poseablilty (swivel biceps and new Type S body) and the T1 is much less posable than even vintage t2. Most t1s seem to be riding an imaginary horse.
                            I will defend FTC for their current bodies (based on the Kiss figures I got) they seem much more durable than the infamous quality issues with the space 1999, Merry men, pirates and knights.

Comment

• luclin999
                              Museum Patron
                              • Oct 27, 2011

Originally posted by jds1911a1
                              I doubt it, the trend is to more poseablilty (swivel biceps and new Type S body) and the T1 is much less posable than even vintage t2. Most t1s seem to be riding an imaginary horse.
                              Perhaps, but keep in mind that the "imaginary horse" stance is easily correctable by simply stringing the figures up differently than Mego originally did. Something that could be done to new T1 bodies during production.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎