Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Phibes
    • Feb 2, 2008

Powder

I would like to reccomend a powerful and very emotional movie in the sci fi genre called Powder. This movie really makes me think about the yin and yang of life and how I am as a human being.This is one of the most gut wrenching movies I've ever seen and I have to date only seen it twice it effects me so much. The ending at first seems sad but when you really think about it... it is beautiful in a way. I don't want to give anything away, but I will say if you watch it, have something light or comical to watch afterwards as this is a heavy film. I hope anybody who sees it gets something from it and it should be in anyones film library.
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

I was just thinking about this movie the other day. I liked Powder and felt bad for him too. It's a good movie.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

It's a good movie,I saw it like 12 years ago though My brother dressed up as him for Halloween
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Victor Salva is a talented director but is a convicted child-molester...that's why I have a problem watching Powder...especially that weird shower scene and all those shirtless teenagers.
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

A still photo from one of Salva's films...

sigpic

Comment

• Vortigern99
            Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
            • Jul 2, 2006

I'm suddenly intrigued. I've never seen the movie; I've avoided it largely because, like Hector, I've felt uncomfortable knowing what the director had been convicted of. But mental frailities and psychological disorders are part of human existence. I take it by now the man has achieved some degree of wellness, that he has overcome or learned to live with his disorder without further harm to the innocent. In that regard I might be willing to put aside my judgemental outlook, and undertake to watch his movie.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Great post, Vort.

I posted Salva's past, I'm not hating on his movies, I think they are solid...from Clowhouse, Powder, to the awesome Jeepers Creepers films.

The man is a talented director.

But people should never forget, especially out of respect for that young actor who starred in Clowhouse and was videotaped being sodomized by Salva.

Should he continue making films?

Absolutely, but that ugly cloud will loom above him for the rest of his life, that's for sure.
              sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
                Talkative Member
                • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by Hector
                Great post, Vort.

I posted Salva's past, I'm not hating on his movies, I think they are solid...from Clowhouse, Powder, to the awesome Jeepers Creepers films.

The man is a talented director.

But people should never forget, especially out of respect for that young actor who starred in Clowhouse and was videotaped being sodomized by Salva.

Should he continue making films?

Absolutely, but that ugly cloud will loom above him for the rest of his life, that's for sure.
                You know Hector,I never knew this about him!?!?!?
                Thanks for letting me know.I've never seen clowhouse but I am sure never going to now.Jeepers and powder I enjoyed though...
                “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Clownhouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nathan Forrest Winters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Winters was 12-years-old at the time.
                  Last edited by Hector; Mar 8, '08, 3:38 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

This is nothing against Dr Phibes...posting about Powder is ok (it is a good movie)...I have nothing against it...I'm just adding my two-cents on Salva...that's all.
                    sigpic

Comment

• monkey tennis
                      "Kiss my face."
                      • Jun 8, 2007

Interested in the movie.
                      But not sure I could separate his life,
                      I think I'll give the movie a try.
                      I mean I still listen to Jichael Mackson's music.
                      "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

• Dr. Phibes
                        • Feb 2, 2008

Wow... I had no idea about the director and it kinda explains a couple of uncomfortable scenes in the movie.I'm sorry if I offended anyone by the reccomendation of this movie. I don't think it's possible to say after hearing this info to say"hey forget about the director and accept the movie." I do feel the movie should stand on its own but I doubt it can with anyone now... I know I wont watch it again due to this but thats me...if I didn't know whta Hector said I would still consider it a beautiful movie-but it's hard to now.

Comment

• toys2cool
                          Ultimate Mego Warrior
                          • Nov 27, 2006

man I never knew that either,I've never seen that Clown House.Was the movie good?
                          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Clownhouse is an excellent low-budget horror film, it was the first horror film ever to be recognized by the Sundance Film festival.

Dr Phibes, no need to apologize, you offended no one in here. Your job was to post a thread of a particular movie, and you did that...that was nothing out of the ordinary. The Salva thing is entirely a different topic.

Here's a fascinating read on the specifics of the Salva case:

Victor Salva, Child Molester, and Disney - Media Reports Index: The Zero 5.0laf - The Official Website of Andrew Vachss

Victor Salva Update, Child Molester Filming New Movie, Jeepers Creepers: The Zero 5.0laf - The Official Website of Andrew Vachss
                            sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I saw Powder when it was released and thought it was a fantastic movie. However, since hearing about the director I have no desire to watch it. I think the subject matter and situations seem very disturbing and creepy now.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎