PDA

View Full Version : FTC: Superfriends is more than likely

ovenmitt
Feb 19, '14, 9:17 PM
On Figures Toy Company Facebook today someone asked if a Superfriends line is possible to which FTC replied "Superfriends is more than likely"

Wonder Twins are popular requests for FTC Megos. The Hanna Barbara characters can be done in 2 waves:

Junior Super Friends
Marvin
Wendy w/ Wonder Dog
Zan
Jayna w/ Gleek

Ethnic Super Friends
Apache Chief
Black Vulcan
El Dorado *my Arkansas hometown!
Samurai

How about

Universe of Evil Super Enemies
Superman- black costume
Batman- red costume
Wonder Woman- drab colors costume
Aquaman- eye patch!
Robin- mustache!

FTC will make the comic book versions of Legion of Doom 1st I suppose but I'd still like cartoon versions, too!

Lex Luthor
Cheetah
Toyman
Black Mant
Grodd
Giganta
Scarecrow
Solomon Grundy "Smash puny Super Friends!"

jds1911a1
Feb 19, '14, 9:50 PM
Me want Bizarro to fight puny superfriends

Figuremod73
Feb 19, '14, 10:03 PM
If they made these, it would probably be the figures I would concentrate the most on. At the top of the list would be Apache Chief and Black Vulcan.

Really would be interesting in seeing how they approach Grodd. Would Apache Chief and Giganta have an 18'' version?

pmwasson
Feb 19, '14, 10:20 PM
They should make an 18" Apache Chief!

jimsmegos
Feb 19, '14, 10:28 PM
If they did this I can pretty much guarantee you that I will be completely broke until I collect them all. THIS would be my dream line whereas the reproductions are my nostalgia fix.

EMCE Hammer
Feb 19, '14, 10:35 PM
I'd buy two of each, except for Black Manta & Cheetah. I'm pretty happy with my tweaked Mattels.

VintageMike
Feb 19, '14, 10:45 PM
Outside of Wendy & Marvin I'd pretty much be in for all of these.

enyawd72
Feb 20, '14, 3:29 AM
Apache Chief in 8, 12, and 18 inches would be awesome...you could stand them together and simulate his power!

huedell
Feb 20, '14, 4:45 AM
Outside of Wendy & Marvin I'd pretty much be in for all of these.

Yet manufacturing them would be a huge boost to Super Friends nostalgia product.... there's never been anything close to the nuance level of product they'd make for these characters.

If they're doing SUPER FRIENDS and DON'T make these characters, it'll be a horrid waste of an opportunity to capitalize on a dry market.

Earth 2 Chris
Feb 20, '14, 6:05 AM
I would die a happy man if someone would make the Super Enemies from "Universe of Evil".

Chris

megocrazy
Feb 20, '14, 8:30 AM
Apache Chief in 8, 12, and 18 inches would be awesome...you could stand them together and simulate his power!

As long as you have a couple hundred bucks lying around. 18 inch FTC figure would probably retail around $100.

MIB41
Feb 20, '14, 8:35 AM
FTC is really cornering the Mego market with a flood of choices.

HardyGirl
Feb 20, '14, 11:40 AM
I'd love a teen wonder set w/ Wendy, Marvin, WonderDog, Zan, Jayna and Gleek!

huedell
Feb 20, '14, 5:54 PM
FTC is really cornering the Mego market with a flood of choices.

I hope this "re-worked" FTC is paying close attention to the Internet reaction to their concept ideas and feeling out reception gauges of their product--- because they can release all the product in the world, but only "smart" choices will expand the lines rather than the reverse happening. That said, I know, ultimately you can't exactly predict the future of anything... but, it can also be said that Mego format consumer research resources have come a long way since 1980.

MIB41
Feb 20, '14, 6:20 PM
^^^ I think those changes are indicative of market awareness and listening to customer concerns. The WGSH license is a great line. I don't see that hitting a dud for a while. Those really hit the nostalgia mark well. Quality is much improved on the bodies and they're not making the mistake of straying from original designs. Farrow is doing heads sculpts for KISS, Evel, Batman'66, and many more lines, so I think there's plenty of promise for future projects. Really exciting stuff right now.

Figuremod73
Feb 20, '14, 6:26 PM
I just hope they release the characters that will be the most popular first just to be on the safe side.

PNGwynne
Feb 20, '14, 6:34 PM
I don't know, I think you've got to balance a-list with b-list characters to keep some momentum. Look at DCUC for example.

JediJaida
Feb 20, '14, 6:35 PM
Wendy, Marvin and Wonder Dog?

Pass.

Zan and Jayna and Gleek?

Double pass.

samurainoir
Feb 20, '14, 7:11 PM
Superfriends would be great, and a perfect fit for the format.

recently picked up the Superfriends Hot Wheels car.

BATMAN89
Feb 20, '14, 7:32 PM
As a WGSH collector, these would be the ones I'd be interested in first.
I never liked the kids on the show.
http://www.edrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/superfriends.jpg

Brown Bear
Feb 20, '14, 7:33 PM
If these are done right I may just like them better than ANY mego line ever made.

PNGwynne
Feb 20, '14, 7:51 PM
Now, see, this is where it gets fuzzy for me. Are we expecting FTC SF versions of A-listers, or secondary characters/foes as a WGSH supplement?

Because A-listers seems redundant IMO of the WGSH repros they are already doing/planning. Admittedly it'd be just head-sculpt changes, but how supportive/diverse do they think the market is?

I mean, I'd much rather they do Plastic Man, Apache Chief, or Samurai than Supes, WW, or Batman.

And if they ever do Black Vulcan before they do Black Lightning, I'll be not only disappointed but ticked off.

UnderdogDJLSW
Feb 20, '14, 8:17 PM
^I agree. To me original Megos and Superfriends are synonymous as they are what I played with as a kid in the 70s to create my own stories. I would much more like to see the teens or Apache Chief first.

MIB41
Feb 20, '14, 9:11 PM
^^ I also agree. To do the Super Friends, it would be smarter to continue on with heroes never made and then revisit special edition versions of existing heroes at a later date.

BATMAN89
Feb 20, '14, 9:31 PM
Now, see, this is where it gets fuzzy for me. Are we expecting FTC SF versions of A-listers, or secondary characters/foes as a WGSH supplement?
Because A-listers seems redundant IMO of the WGSH repros they are already doing/planning. Admittedly it'd be just head-sculpt changes

^^ I also agree. To do the Super Friends, it would be smarter to continue on with heroes never made and then revisit special edition versions of existing heroes at a later date.

True!
But I would take a Batman with the light blue trunks, and the cowl with the black shadow on the forehead.
Also, a smiling Batman is comical these days.
I do collect Batman stuff first and foremost though.

jeffbearco
Feb 21, '14, 12:07 PM
I'm actually all for remaking some of the original heroes. But if you do, improve them! Include accessories that should have come with the originals but didn't. Give Batman a Batarang! Give Green Arrow a decent quiver and a couple of trick arrows! Give them all cases that are resealable! Give Wonder Woman a case that is printed with cut-out wings on back to turn her box into the invisible jet!

Be creative and show us something new or at least a variation on a theme. The GA prototype I saw looks pretty much identical to the original Mego that I already have as well as the Mattel version. Why would I buy another identical figure?

Just my 2 cents.

JeffBearCO

hedrap
Feb 21, '14, 12:59 PM
Are we sure we're reading too much into this?

If they produce a 70's version of Hawkman, then how is he going to look different than his Superfriends counterpart? Same with Flash, GL, etc...

So, that could be the "Superfriends" in context; the releases will coincide with the characters who appeared on the show.

All it requires is a redesign of the original group to appear more Superfriends than classic Mego. But the secondary guys? It would mean their first GL, Flash, etc... releases would have to be more modern designs. Which, is the exact opposite from what we're seeing with the Batman figures.

Uni
Feb 21, '14, 4:21 PM
Since no one asked: the characters I'd MOST want from Superfriends, beyond the original Mego figures, would be Marvin and Wendy.

jayraytee
Feb 21, '14, 4:37 PM
In my opinion the superfriends Batman and Superman, etc would be the same as the ones they are already making. If we get Hawkman, batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow and Captain Marvel.... as regular Megos, then to complete the Superfriends just add in the few other characters from the show. I mean the Justice League and Super Friends rosters are made up of the same core group. I don't need a Superman with a slightly different more cartoony hanna barbara head. When I was a kid, I watched Super Friends and played with Megos and to me Superman was Superman and Batman was Batman.

The Bat
Feb 21, '14, 6:00 PM
There goes my hopes for a Neal Adams Batman.:ugh_y: They'll make a Superfriends Batman with big goofy SMILE instead. :cry:

Ivaniski
Feb 21, '14, 6:34 PM
There goes my hopes for a Neal Adams Batman.:ugh_y: They'll make a Superfriends Batman with big goofy SMILE instead. :cry:

Never give up my friend,...FTC often visit these boards, and believe me they want to make "All" of us happy. :yes:

http://onceuponageek.com/images/nealadamsbatman.jpg

huedell
Feb 21, '14, 8:18 PM

Ignore Ivaniski and fear the worst... because, as we all know, history has proven that those that hold a Batman action figure license always keep Batman variations to a bare minimum.

PNGwynne
Feb 21, '14, 8:33 PM
lol. Yeah, bear in mind that the more Batman & Robin variations they can do, the more foes & supporting cast can be added.

How else will I ever get a Killer Moth Mego? :yes::grin:

huedell
Feb 21, '14, 8:51 PM
Since no one asked: the characters I'd MOST want from Superfriends, beyond the original Mego figures, would be Marvin and Wendy.

This way of addressing the SUPER FRIENDS possibility (IMHO) is the most productive i.e. talking about what we WANT rather than what we don't want.

Otherwise FTC is playing a guessing game when researching such things.

Personally?

I'd shoot for similar figures of (but Hanna-Barbera variations on) the Megos they are already releasing AND the Hanna-Barbera original released in evenly divided waves of 4.

I'd start with bigger guns and see how it goes.

Maybe like this:

WAVE 1
SUPERMAN (Hanna-Barbera version)
BATMAN (HB V)
ZAN
JAYNA

WAVE 2
LEX LUTHOR (HB version which may very well be identical to the comic version)
ROBIN (HB V)
APACHE CHIEF
BLACK VULCAN

WAVE 3
AQUAMAN (HB V)
WONDER WOMAN (HB V)
WENDY
MARVIN

WAVE 4
GREEN LANTERN (HB V/CB V)
BIZARRO (HB/CB V)
SAMURAI
GLEEK/WONDER DOG (2-PACK)

WAVE 5
FLASH (HB V/CB V)
CAPTAIN COLD (HB V)
EL DORADO
RIMA

WAVE 6
RIDDLER (HB V)
HAWKMAN (HB V/CB V)
SINESTRO (HB V)
CHEETAH (HB V)

WAVE 7
ATOM (HB V/CB V)
SCARECROW (HB V)
GRODD (HB V)
BRAINIAC (HB V)

WAVE 8
HAWKGIRL (HB V/CB V)
TOYMAN (HB V)
"UNIVERSE OF EVIL" SUPERMAN
"UNIVERSE OF EVIL" BATMAN

Ivaniski
Feb 21, '14, 9:47 PM
lol. Yeah, bear in mind that the more Batman & Robin variations they can do, the more foes & supporting cast can be added.

How else will I ever get a Killer Moth Mego? :yes::grin:

BINGO!!! :grin: The more variations from a Batman & Robin line,....Oh Yeah, the more foes & supporting cast. Thus, Mo' Money for FTC and Mo' figures for us to pick and choose from. We gotta keep hope alive. :grin:

Neal Adams Batman, the time has come.
http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/212/2/4/neal_adams_batman_at_c2e2_part_2_by_chaoss3-d59chh7.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/212/6/b/neal_adams_batman_fire_escape_by_chaoss3-d59cgz0.jpg

HardyGirl
Feb 22, '14, 2:17 AM
WOW! Wouldn't that be awesome? And of course a HOJ and LOD playsets. But I think they should see Scott and Paul for these! :grin:

This way of addressing the SUPER FRIENDS possibility (IMHO) is the most productive i.e. talking about what we WANT rather than what we don't want.

Otherwise FTC is playing a guessing game when researching such things.

Personally?

I'd shoot for similar figures of (but Hanna-Barbera variations on) the Megos they are already releasing AND the Hanna-Barbera original released in evenly divided waves of 4.

I'd start with bigger guns and see how it goes.

Maybe like this:

WAVE 1
SUPERMAN (Hanna-Barbera version)
BATMAN (HB V)
ZAN
JAYNA

WAVE 2
LEX LUTHOR (HB version which may very well be identical to the comic version)
ROBIN (HB V)
APACHE CHIEF
BLACK VULCAN

WAVE 3
AQUAMAN (HB V)
WONDER WOMAN (HB V)
WENDY
MARVIN

WAVE 4
GREEN LANTERN (HB V/CB V)
BIZARRO (HB/CB V)
SAMURAI
GLEEK/WONDER DOG (2-PACK)

WAVE 5
FLASH (HB V/CB V)
CAPTAIN COLD (HB V)
EL DORADO
RIMA

WAVE 6
RIDDLER (HB V)
HAWKMAN (HB V/CB V)
SINESTRO (HB V)
CHEETAH (HB V)

WAVE 7
ATOM (HB V/CB V)
SCARECROW (HB V)
GRODD (HB V)
BRAINIAC (HB V)

WAVE 8
HAWKGIRL (HB V/CB V)
TOYMAN (HB V)
"UNIVERSE OF EVIL" SUPERMAN
"UNIVERSE OF EVIL" BATMAN

filmation batman fan
Feb 22, '14, 3:52 AM
WOW! Wouldn't that be awesome? And of course a HOJ and LOD playsets. But I think they should see Scott and Paul for these! :grin:

I wish to go on record and state that I am definitely in favor of a Super Friends line by Figures Toy Co.

I've always been a fan of the core group from 1977-1979. So I will be outspoken in my request to see Mego figures of the Wonder Twins. I've always wanted Zan and Jayna in Mego form, 8 in. Comic Action and Pocket Hero forms when I was a kid. Never got them. I would be happy to at least get 8 in. Mego versions of the Twins.

I hope they do it all. Every character Hanna Barbera animated both heroes and villains.
Even Alex Toth designed versions of the main five.

So I strongly cast my vote for the Super Friends.

garfoot
Feb 24, '14, 1:43 PM
I was looking on the FTC Facebook page and found this:

2. Any chance of you guys making the 1970's tv show the Super Friends with likeness and cardbacks reflecting the colorful show opening?

Figures Toy Company : cant comment on the package design for superfriends yet

I have been holding back on the Mego figures trying to budget my money for this year, but if they make the Super Friends in 8" format, that would sway some funds their way. I have always wanted these figures!!!!!!!

ScottA
Feb 24, '14, 7:32 PM
I'd buy them. I have the SF maquettes they would look good with.

monitor_ep
Feb 24, '14, 8:26 PM
I would be down for this to happen. I really would love to have the Challenge of Super-Friends vs the Legion of Doom!!!

Starroid Raiders Dagon
Feb 25, '14, 3:39 AM
And if they ever do Black Vulcan before they do Black Lightning, I'll be not only disappointed but ticked off.

I'm with you on that, PNGwynne. But, I think there was a reason they went with Black Vulcan over Black Lightning, and it was something to do with.....I just checked wikipedia and it mentions it there:

"Unlike most of the Super Friends, Black Vulcan was not a pre-existing DC Comics character. This is particularly notable since DC Comics' roster did include an African American superhero with electricity-based powers, Black Lightning, who could not be used on the show due to disputes between DC and Black Lightning's creator Tony Isabella.[1]"

Not sure if the above is resolved to the point he could be produced as an action figure? I would prefer a Black Lightning figure over Black Vulcan.

thunderbolt
Feb 25, '14, 3:44 AM
There was a Black Lightning in the Total Justice line, so I guess DC worked it out with Isabella.

Starroid Raiders Dagon
Feb 25, '14, 5:11 AM
There was a Black Lightning in the Total Justice line, so I guess DC worked it out with Isabella.

That's right! I totally forgot about that figure. I should have done a image search first as there has probably been a few now I think about it. But, I guess if they are sticking to Super-Friends, we would get a Black Vulcan(?).

thunderbolt
Feb 25, '14, 5:42 AM
that would make sense. WB used BL on Batman Brave and the Bold, too.

madmarva
Feb 25, '14, 9:56 AM
I'd probably buy BV and BL figures, but would prefer Black Lightning. His costume is better. I've never understood long sleeves and short pants combination, particularly on men.

I wonder if the hair on Black Vulcan's legs stands up straight when he fires off a lightning bolt?

MEMEGO
Feb 25, '14, 10:12 AM
i want wayne manor, a recreation of the original, with maybe a few more floors to update it.

Astronut
Feb 25, '14, 10:40 AM
i want wayne manor, a recreation of the original, with maybe a few more floors to update it.

What, you want it to be like 7 feet tall? Like that's ever going to happen.

HardyGirl
Feb 25, '14, 11:12 AM
Well, you could get a Dida set from Scott, and since they were talking about accessories like the Shakespeare head you could add that.

PNGwynne
Feb 25, '14, 4:13 PM
Re: FTC Wayne Foundation--
What, you want it to be like 7 feet tall? Like that's ever going to happen.

Ouch. He's just dreaming out loud, like you and I and all the rest of us in these speculative FTC threads.

jwyblejr
Feb 26, '14, 12:09 AM
that would make sense. WB used BL on Batman Brave and the Bold, too.

And he's been on the DC Nation shorts with his daughters.

Starroid Raiders Dagon
Feb 26, '14, 3:46 AM
Yep, and a classic figure (which is the style I love the best. Remember the afro was part of his costume? That is wicked) was made and reviewed here...

http://www.blackactionfigure.com/?p=243

So, with the classic figure done, I couldn't see why we shouldn't see a ReMego version? The only thing is that if we are talking SuperFriends, Black Vulcan really should get a figure as he is the actual character used on the show, right? Regardless that he was a sub for BL, he appeared on the show and deserves the figure treatment (IMHO). When I was reading his entry on Wikipedia, it seems he garnered enough interest to be used again over the years based on him being in the SuperFriends. Alex Ross was going to have him in his Captain Marvel series as one of the Marvel family that got his powers from the wizard SHAZAM. That is pretty cool.

MIB41
Feb 26, '14, 1:27 PM
I would love to see a SuperFriend's Black Vulcan figure. I always thought he was a cool hero in that classic costume.

megodarryl
Feb 26, '14, 2:04 PM
I would love to see a SuperFriend's Black Vulcan figure. I always thought he was a cool hero in that classic costume.

Yes! His original suit (in "The Whirlpool" with Aquaman) was perfect-he had a full bodysuit and cowl. I don't know why they sabotaged his suit the way they did later on.