X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Do your kids read comic books?

When I was a kid in the 70s, everyone read comic books. We all had our faves, both in characters and comic book companies: DC, Marvel, Gold Key, Archies, Charlton, Dyna-Brite. In some schools , cliques were divided by what comic companies you preferred. A kid who liked DC wouldn't dare mix w/ the Marvel kids, or he (or she) would be ruthlessly teased. (trust me, I speak from experience )

I notice these days, that a lot of kids, really don't read comics, and don't know the difference between Marvel and DC or Dark Horse, or any other comic company. Heck, most of them don't even know the secret identities of the most basic heroes. We all know that these are different times, and what was important to kids back then, aren't the same anymore, what w/ cable and video games, and whatnot, so we need not get into that. I just wanted to know where your kids stood on the subject of comic books.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I think most kids know the super heroes through TV and movies, very few read comics. I'd wager most kids that do read comics have parents that do, as is the case with my son. Of course, he's 6 and is just learning to read, but I've been reading him comic stories for years.

Blame it on video games, 24-hour kid-centric networks AND the comic industry's rush to the direct market and abandonment of the newstand. HUGE mistake on their part.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• aquatroy
      Permanent Member
      • Apr 28, 2002

My older kids read the digest size manga. The youngest also likes the manga but will mix in Sonic the Hedgehog and the occasional Spider-Man comic.
      Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

You know I never really read comics,I collected them but never read them
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• johnmiic
          Adrift
          • Sep 6, 2002

No, but I don't have kids because "concerned parties" said I should not be allowed to preo-create for the good of the human race.

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

I've never read them and my kids don't read them either, which is maybe why I don't know a lot of the customs that come out.
            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• raider5gt
              Museum Tree Cutter
              • Nov 25, 2007

Yes i do read some comics,my daughter likes Bratz and High School The Musical stuff but she does glance at my Spiderman graphic novels,probably because of all the nice colours and great artwork

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• wyatterb
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 2, 2001

My kids like my graphic novels: Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told, Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told, & Batman from the 30s to the 70s. This stuff is fairly tame and the kids enjoy it. I've pretty much steered them clear of anything produced after 1995.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Yes my eleven year old is now a hardcore reader....I made sure he got into it and gets excited when we go to the comic shop and to Cons....and I read comic book stories to my 17 month old daughter who already knows who Superman,Batman, Wonder Woman,Supergirl and Elvis are...

Comment

• jds1911a1
                    Alan Scott is the best GL
                    • Aug 8, 2007

Like E2Chris I read my kids comics when they we younger but with the price and especailly content of comics produced today I will just let them read my older pre 85 ones at least I know they're kid friendly.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Like E2Chris I read my kids comics when they we younger but with the price and especailly content of comics produced today I will just let them read my older pre 85 ones at least I know they're kid friendly.
                      I mostly read later Golden or Silver Age stuff to Andrew. Those Showcase and Essentials books are like "Children's Treasury of Superman" really. Great fodder for bedtime stories. His mom reads him real children's storybooks every other night.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• jds1911a1
                        Alan Scott is the best GL
                        • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        I mostly read later Golden or Silver Age stuff to Andrew. Those Showcase and Essentials books are like "Children's Treasury of Superman" really. Great fodder for bedtime stories. His mom reads him real children's storybooks every other night.

Chris
                        yeah I was reading mostly silver age batman & superman stories along with the Capt marvel series of the 70's. Light kids fare.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                          The DarkSide Customizer
                          • Apr 16, 2005

I buy the Teen Titans cartoon book for the Boy, when It's on the shelf,.. we read it together. He was a big fan of the recent Spider-man/Red Sonja book.. We finally hunted down the last issue.. As far as looking threw the books, he always looks threw everything that is boughten,.. but only has a bit of interest with certain ones. He is very keen on all the Super's hero's out there,.. a boat load of secret Identities as well... but when you get'em young, you can mold them.
                          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• aquatroy
                            Permanent Member
                            • Apr 28, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
                            My youngest also likes All Star Superman. It's fun to watch him think as we read Morrison's wild take on the SA.
                            Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 28, 2006

Yes I read them and so do the kids.My daughter likes zombie stuff or scary stories and my son is nuts over any main stream superhero batman,supes,hulk,spidey...
                              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎