• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

How will FTC tackle Hawkman's wings?

What would Mego have done?

I'm inclined to think Mego would have gone with screenprinted stuffed wings similar to Lizard's tail.
    Plastic wings would look awesome too...how will either one attach to the body?

Thoughts?
  • Wasimhosen
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 23, 2011

Bare chest with crossing straps and a belt connected to stuffed wings, just like the lizards tail. You could fold them that way to fit in the blister. I would prefer plastic but think stuffed would suit the retro theme better.

Comment

• Wasimhosen
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 23, 2011

Another question, sculpted head or removable helmet?

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

No stuffed wings! and no separate helmet--that never looks right to me, too bulky.

I'm inclined to think that for Mego, Hawkman would've been a later, more detailed figure. Look at later Marvel waves or the Flash Gordon line.

Similar to Green Arrow's quiver, I think the wings would be molded in gray and fitted into/onto yellow molded straps. Mego had both colors of plastic available for accessories.

I'd certainly expect FTC to do molded wings.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• fallensaviour
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 28, 2006

Could go either way I think the fastest simplest way(aka mego way) to go would be stuffed cloth attached in a similar fashion as the demons wings or like falcon.Thus also making them functional.
          I would love to see moulded plastic but it just doesn't make sense packaging or tooling wise.
          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

No stuffed wings! and no separate helmet--that never looks right to me, too bulky.
            I don't know. The helmet can work:

Hawkman's helmet is usually drawn a bit "loose" with some space between Carter's head and the helmet itself. It would work better than an RC Batman, actually, me thinks.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

FTC has invested a lot into new tooling. In fact, it's likely that only Mr. Freeze & Hawkman would require new tooling.

And it would certainly cost more labor-wise to produce decent cloth wings than to attach molded ones.

Besides, they easily defray the cost of tooling by offering items through CTVT in alternate colors, so you know such wings would show up in white, brown, black.

Might even foster a Silver Swan foe for Wonder Woman.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Chris, that is a terrific Hawkman! what was used to pull a mask from the original sculpt mold (bleit, I think)?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^Thanks. I took a Doc Mego RC Batman cowl, cut it down and sculpted on it, and added wings from a small plastic bird figurine. The head is a Mister Fantastic, of course.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• BATMAN89
                    Mego obsessed!!!
                    • Jul 20, 2010

Chris, that is awesome!!!
                    Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                    My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• TomStrong
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2011

I cant imagine how sewn or cloth wings would look. Seems like plastic molded would look best and hold up too. I really like the Doc Mego Foam wings but I don't think they'd hold up. Also either removable or molded helmet would make me happy but I'd prefer molded. I think the removable (except for Chris' awesome custom, Holy Cow!) helmets usually turn out too bulky. In my despair for never getting one I did a Hawkman too, but Im sure a factory produced one would be much more awesome than my effort.

DSC_0077 by TomStrong1, on Flickr

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

Actually,that's not bad. The head has a Superpowers feel to it.

Comment

• madmarva
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jul 7, 2007

^^love your Hawkman and Chris's too

Comment

• Zemo
                            Still Smokin'
                            • Feb 14, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            I don't know. The helmet can work:

Hawkman's helmet is usually drawn a bit "loose" with some space between Carter's head and the helmet itself. It would work better than an RC Batman, actually, me thinks.

Chris
                            Awesome!!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

I think they'll be plastic. I kinda wonder if they will give him his mace or just recycle Conan weapons for him. Between the pirates, knights and barbarian stuff there are plenty of historical stuff for the Hawks to choose from.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎