PDA

View Full Version : Commissioner Gordon prototype figure - Series 4

MIB41
Jan 29, '14, 10:13 AM
Here you go! Just posted by FTC on their Facebook page...

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/clayton45/CommissionerGordon_zps28e3c85e.jpg (http://s861.photobucket.com/user/clayton45/media/CommissionerGordon_zps28e3c85e.jpg.html)

rjm118
Jan 29, '14, 10:30 AM
NICE!!

Cant wait to see who else is in this wave

Earth 2 Chris
Jan 29, '14, 10:49 AM
Hmmm...the hair parted in the middle bothers me a bit. Gordon has had many hairdos, but pre-Miller, it's usually either slicked back (Golden and Silver Age), or parted on the left (Bronze Age). In Miller's Dark Knight it was parted down the middle, and in Year One and many stories afterward it was shown as a shaggy comb forward.

His coat looks a bit too orange, but it may be the photo.

Not bad, but it's not screaming Jim Gordon to me the way Alfred did.

Chris

pmwasson
Jan 29, '14, 11:01 AM
Wow that is pretty cool. I like the detailed sculpt. I wonder if this means wave 4 will be another Bat-wave?

monitor_ep
Jan 29, '14, 11:05 AM
WOW I am glad they are doing this figure.

EMCE Hammer
Jan 29, '14, 11:10 AM
Now I can do my William Howard Taft custom that has been on the back burner.

MIB41
Jan 29, '14, 11:35 AM
Wow that is pretty cool. I like the detailed sculpt. I wonder if this means wave 4 will be another Bat-wave?

They already have the Supes and Shazam head for sale in their inventory. Me thinks it could be Superman, Shazam, and maybe Aquaman. That would cover the remaining DC product from those early Mego releases.

thunderbolt
Jan 29, '14, 11:51 AM
surprised that the first two new figures are "old guys in suits" I thought that they were usually duds according to Doc Mego.

enyawd72
Jan 29, '14, 12:12 PM
Holy cow that looks fantastic! I cannot wait to see what they come up with next! FTC for the WIN!!

Ivaniski
Jan 29, '14, 12:14 PM
These new head sculpts (Alfred, Comm.Gordon) are looking......SHARP AND BEAUTIFUL!!! Just hope that the head will be shrunk to proper ratio size with the body. :yes:

Hedji
Jan 29, '14, 12:26 PM
Pretty neat stuff. This is a new golden age, methinks.

hedrap
Jan 29, '14, 12:37 PM
Alright. I'm sure this will sell, but c'mon, right after Alfred?

Two old guys in suits shouldn't be the focus. Sorry, but it's the Lex Luthor scenario in-action, pun intended.

The one advantage is FTC direct sales, so they don't have the peg-space fight to worry about.

I'm hoping Gordon's not the only new one in another rehash wave, but only the Museum Lords know...

rche
Jan 29, '14, 12:41 PM
I'm hoping the trench coat goes on sale in the parts store.

Earth 2 Chris
Jan 29, '14, 1:01 PM
I'm glad to see "old guys in suits". I have never understood why every frickin' character who ever walked into a frame of a Star Wars film got a figure, but it takes an act of congress for important supporting characters from super hero comics to get one. I think the lack of traditional retail orders is making this possible, and I'm all for it. I would have killed for Gordon and Alfred as a kid. They are integral to any Batman play scenario.

Chris

hedrap
Jan 29, '14, 1:17 PM
Star Wars characters got figures because the majority were monsters, robots or space soldiers/knights/pirates. No kid was begging for a Mon Mothma.

I get a Gordon and Alfred for the '66 line. They were integral to the show.

sprytel
Jan 29, '14, 1:20 PM

Dang you, Hammer... now I see it too...

JediJaida
Jan 29, '14, 1:29 PM
Too skinny for Taft.

I'm thinking a skinny teddy roosevelt.

Mego Milk
Jan 29, '14, 1:33 PM
aw yeah Gordon.

MIB41
Jan 29, '14, 1:49 PM
I'm glad to see "old guys in suits". I have never understood why every frickin' character who ever walked into a frame of a Star Wars film got a figure, but it takes an act of congress for important supporting characters from super hero comics to get one. I think the lack of traditional retail orders is making this possible, and I'm all for it. I would have killed for Gordon and Alfred as a kid. They are integral to any Batman play scenario.

Chris

Well said Chris. I just wonder what I would have tried to customize them as when I was a kid? I might have put the Batman cowl on Alfred and let him serve as decoy the way Alfred did on the '66 show! :please_y:

The Toyroom
Jan 29, '14, 1:50 PM
Awesome sauce!

enyawd72
Jan 29, '14, 2:17 PM
No kid was begging for a Mon Mothma.

I'll have you know, Mon Mothma made the rebels hot cocoa on Hoth. Don't tell me that's not important. Many Bothans died to bring them that cocoa...

jayraytee
Jan 29, '14, 2:52 PM
At the bottom it says "Batman Retro Action Series 4," I think all four figures of series 4 will be Batman related. If we see Superman, Aquaman and Shazam i think they will be in a different series.

madmarva
Jan 29, '14, 3:18 PM
Not dead on, but it sure reminds me of Jim Aparo's Commisioner Gordan.

noelani72
Jan 29, '14, 4:36 PM
meh, I think Gordon was a decent choice and came out fine.
Looking at that released prototype pic of the figure - does anyone else notice his right arm is tweaked all whack? Looks like it got sucked into the body because the bands were too tight.

I'm biting the bullet and fully plan to put these figures on Type-S bodies when they come in.
Shouldn't have to, but that's what it's gonna take to satisfy me.

Brown Bear
Jan 29, '14, 4:40 PM
Great addition to any mego collection. Long overdue. I love the fact that they went with a Jim Aparo style as there are so many versions of the character and that was my favorite.

That trench coat will sell well separately too.

Can't wait to see more, more, more!!! FTC is putting everyone to shame!

Earth 2 Chris
Jan 29, '14, 4:47 PM
Not trying to harp on it, but Aparo always drew Gordon's hair parted on the left.
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/vanishgordon4.jpg

I can see his Gordon a bit from the hairline down, though.

DC probably provided FTC with styleguide art that was slightly off. It happens.

Chris

sprytel
Jan 29, '14, 4:54 PM
meh, I think Gordon was a decent choice and came out fine.
Looking at that released prototype pic of the figure - does anyone else notice his right arm is tweaked all whack? Looks like it got sucked into the body because the bands were too tight.

I'm biting the bullet and fully plan to put these figures on Type-S bodies when they come in.
Shouldn't have to, but that's what it's gonna take to satisfy me.

I'm not sure that is what you are seeing. The new bodies have a pin in the shoulder, which allows the arms to raise and lower (think flapping your arm like a bird). I think the one arm is just a little raised in comparison to the other, and between that and the big coat, it looks a little off.

thunderbolt
Jan 29, '14, 5:50 PM
At the bottom it says "Batman Retro Action Series 4," I think all four figures of series 4 will be Batman related. If we see Superman, Aquaman and Shazam i think they will be in a different series.

hmmm, so another Batman figure of some sort is a given, what about the other two slots?

PNGwynne
Jan 29, '14, 5:56 PM
^SI Barbara Gordon.

Mr. Freeze or Scarecrow

Batman: Arctic or Black & Gray

ScottA
Jan 29, '14, 5:59 PM
I like it. I'm in.

hedrap
Jan 29, '14, 7:53 PM
I just wonder what I would have tried to customize them as when I was a kid?

Grandpa from Walton could have been the stand-in for Alfred or Gordon, also JJJ, Thunderbolt Ross and any other old white guys:grin:

Mego-Amigo
Jan 29, '14, 8:00 PM
I was really hoping for more heroes and villians in wave four. I could care less about Alfred or Gordon but I'm happy for you guys that have been wanting them.

PNGwynne
Jan 29, '14, 8:11 PM
I get a Gordon and Alfred for the '66 line. They were integral to the show.

Ummm, because they were important in the comics, too.

A few supporting characters for major heroes like Superman & Wonder Woman would be great--and welcomed, too, if balanced with new heroes/foes.

hedrap
Jan 29, '14, 8:43 PM
Ummm, because they were important in the comics, too.

I'm referring more to the limited scope of the TV show, and how that made Gordon/Alfred/O'Hara more integral to the story no matter how inane their reasoning was. For me, that makes sense for '66 figures in a "play" context. But I see WGSH as an extension of Superfriends perpetual "super-fantasy" where normal people are always bystanders. Just my take.

megocrazy
Jan 29, '14, 11:20 PM
Is it me or is the head huge? I like the sculpt and am in for Alfred and Gordon. A body swap is almost imminent based on previous reviews. I'm not sure they have the whole DC universe. I would have to believe we would have seen other characters if they did. The carry case is the only thing that has shown figures outside the Batman comic.

enyawd72
Jan 29, '14, 11:23 PM
^Not true. They've also shown the Teen Titans prototypes.

Iron Mego
Jan 29, '14, 11:46 PM
This looks pretty darn awesome. I think the work FTC is doing on the "new" figures (Batman 66, Alfred and Gordon) already blow away most of what Mattel put out. They are adding some modern touches but really keeping the old school appeal, much of which Mattel seemed to scoff.

Really looking to more new Heroes and Villians. And I'm all for extending the lines into characters like this. Why not?

alex
Jan 30, '14, 3:41 AM
Not being a superhero boffin of any sorts, I really like the design of this character, certainly prefer him over the design of Alfred. They should give him a underarm holster and gun. Ill be getting one, certainly a nice addition to the Batman family.

The Bat
Jan 30, '14, 6:52 AM
Is it me or is the head huge?

Nope, it's not you....the head IS huge.:terror:

Boywonder0
Jan 30, '14, 10:55 AM
Here you go! Just posted by FTC on their Facebook page...

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/clayton45/CommissionerGordon_zps28e3c85e.jpg (http://s861.photobucket.com/user/clayton45/media/CommissionerGordon_zps28e3c85e.jpg.html)

Wow! Thanks Tom!

JediJaida
Jan 30, '14, 11:23 AM
Oh yeah; the head is WAY too big for the body!

Very nice sculpt though.

Ivaniski
Jan 30, '14, 11:43 AM
Nope, it's not you....the head IS huge.:terror:[/QUOTE]

It's ironic if this head and Comm.Gordon stay that size. Usually, All of the FTC latest Batman waves have been with slightly smaller heads.........Which i happen to like. Why fix something that isn't broken. :please_y:

I think FTC head size is better then the original Mego version......See below.

http://megomuseum.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=10186&d=1391100492

Gorn Captain
Jan 30, '14, 11:45 AM
No kid was begging for a Mon Mothma.

So that's why my Mon Mothma Fan Club never got off the ground. I mean, we had T-shirts, buttons and all...

Iron Mego
Jan 30, '14, 12:41 PM
It's ironic if this head and Comm.Gordon stay that size. Usually, All of the FTC latest Batman waves have been with slightly smaller heads.........Which i happen to like. Why fix something that isn't broken. :please_y:

I think FTC head size is better then the original Mego version......See below.

Because these are original sculpts. They most likely just made molds from old Mego heads for the repro figures.

fallensaviour
Jan 30, '14, 3:49 PM
Nice one,these guys are knocking it out of the park!!!

jayraytee
Jan 31, '14, 12:56 PM
As for the head size, I think I will have a wait and see approach. The image on page one of this thread is at a downward angle perspective, you can see the tops of his shoes for example. If it was a straight on image it might look differently. Not to mention it is a prototype.

Ivaniski
Jan 31, '14, 1:15 PM
Probably.....I have some good news here for those who may be worriied of "Big head syndrome" for Alfred and Comm.Godon. The advertisement-Banner on FTC page (pictured below) shows Alfred beside Batman and Robin, in which Alfred's head and body are on near 1:1 scale, without any deviation in head size...as compared to Batman & Robin. :yes:

http://megomuseum.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=10209

The Batman Professor
Jan 31, '14, 6:14 PM
Looks fantastic to me! Gordon too. Cannot wait.

piecemaker
Jan 31, '14, 8:24 PM
These look great. I really like the Alfred head and put me on the list of needing some of those trenchcoats.:)

THE FALCON
Feb 1, '14, 2:02 AM
Wow he looks great.

ubermanx
Feb 1, '14, 9:56 AM
I like the Gordon figure and it will definitely be on my buy list as is Alfred. I am really digging the new characters being released.

But if we start getting Arctic suit Batman, Scuba Diver Batman, Safari Adventure Batman, etc like the action figures of the 90's then I'm out.

Cool variations like a Golden Age Batman or Frank Miller Batman on a muscle body would be cool but I beg you ... no Assault Gauntlet Batman!

- Marty

samurainoir
Feb 1, '14, 10:15 AM

With this as our base figure, next year's Mego North exclusive will be former Canadian Prime Minister Sandy McTire, who adorns our currency.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Canadian_Tire_Money.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2rn1rkOGnyk/TYl_8v53PBI/AAAAAAAAAog/m3EGUmY-UdI/s1600/mctire2.jpg

boss
Feb 1, '14, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't rely on that image for true scale and perspective.

Probably.....I have some good news here for those who may be worriied of "Big head syndrome" for Alfred and Comm.Godon. The advertisement-Banner on FTC page (pictured below) shows Alfred beside Batman and Robin, in which Alfred's head and body are on near 1:1 scale, without any deviation in head size...as compared to Batman & Robin. :yes:

http://megomuseum.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=10209

drogge
Feb 1, '14, 10:40 AM
The Gordon figure pretty much indicates Wave 4 will be all Batman related. I am guessing Dr. Freeze, Gordon, and Batman and Robin variants.

houseofdracula
Feb 1, '14, 2:36 PM
I'd guess Gordon, Mr Freeze, Two Face & Scarecrow.

PNGwynne
Feb 1, '14, 3:54 PM
I'm not in favor of weird Batman variants, either--& I'd consider Miller's DK a weird variant lol.

When I suggested "arctic" Batman to complement Mr. Freeze, I was thinking there was actually a Bronze-Age variant thereof.

Barring a new "Neal Adams" head and a Golden-version, there's not a lot FTC can do sensibly--perhaps first-appearance as well?

Regarding Robin, they could do a nice Earth-Two version, as well as Nightwing.

thunderbolt
Feb 1, '14, 6:15 PM
looks like the Burger King's dad.

With this as our base figure, next year's Mego North exclusive will be former Canadian Prime Minister Sandy McTire, who adorns our currency.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Canadian_Tire_Money.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2rn1rkOGnyk/TYl_8v53PBI/AAAAAAAAAog/m3EGUmY-UdI/s1600/mctire2.jpg

Ivaniski
Feb 3, '14, 9:05 AM
I wouldn't rely on that image for true scale and perspective.

I guess this calms my worries bout' the head sizes....Quoting Scott Beatty:... " FIGURES TOY COMPANY continues to wow Bat-Fans with yet another Facebook reveal: COMMISSIONER GORDON!

Slated for FTC's WORLD'S GREATEST HEROES Series 4, this figure is still in the prototype stage, according to the early posts. Hopefully, like the Series 3 Alfred Pennyworth, Jim Gordon's nicely sculpted head will shrink a bit so that it's in scale with the rest of FTC's DC repro Mego offerings!

So who else in Series 4? Stay tuned to this bloggity-blog! Same Bat-Time! Same Bat-Channel!"

- Scott

FTC are sculpting these heads with great detail and definition......I really like where they're heading (no pun) with these DC character action figures. I'm in 100% to support this line. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Quick footnote: The facial details on Gordon and Alfred resemble that of any 1:6 scale Hot Toys figures........Now (for a 1:9 scale figure).......that's a good thing!!! Ivaniski :smiley1: