PDA

View Full Version : Why not get a license people will actually buy?

JediJaida
Jan 9, '14, 8:23 PM
Why?

I have no interest in Gilligan's Island, or Dallas, or President Obama.

With all of the licenses they bought, why not get one I would buy?

I'd love to see something out of mythology like Ulysses, or the Olympian pantheon.

Or tie ins to stuff like 'Frozen'? 'Brave' and other Pixar movies?

I'd love to have Merida in 1:9 scale, as well as Flynn Ryder.

I know that the Marvel license belongs to someone else, so we can't get classic X-men or Avengers.

enyawd72
Jan 9, '14, 8:38 PM
Who says people won't buy Gilligan's Island or Dallas? Just because you have no interest doesn't mean other people don't.
I've never even heard of Merida or Flynn Ryder and have no idea who they are, so you see, it depends on the person.
I wouldn't buy any of YOUR choices.

PNGwynne
Jan 9, '14, 8:41 PM
How would they know ahead of time what you'd actually support?

They did at least do a poll for Teen Titans' waves but are generally not interactive.

And I'm sure any Disney/Pixar characters are inaccessible due to Mattel contracts.

draconianguard
Jan 9, '14, 9:16 PM
No license is needed to produce an Obama figure or one of any president.

Figuremod73
Jan 9, '14, 9:23 PM
I'd love to see something out of mythology like Ulysses, or the Olympian pantheon.

I would like this and many of the others, epecially Egyptian.

samurainoir
Jan 9, '14, 9:26 PM
Anything Disney or Pixar owned like Frozone or Brave would be tied up with the big toy companies. Unless we're talking about a retro property like Mary Poppins? and then it would still likely cost an arm and a leg to get.

I for one will be getting Gilligan's Island.

Dallas I'd guess seemed strategic because of the new TV show, or maybe it was a cheap or bundled license that they could do easily since they were producing 12" dress suits anyways for Kiss. Is JR using the same suit as any of the Kiss figures? At the very least, they will have a stock of affordable 12" business suits and a cowboy hat for customizers in that scale.

ubermanx
Jan 9, '14, 9:28 PM
I'm in for Gilligan's Island. Gilligan and Skipper are a must and then I hope Mary Anne is next ;)

Although I loved the Dukes of Hazzard on TV I think I'll pass on that one.

Definitely in for Conan, Solomon Kane and King Krull.

I think FTC is doing okay.

- Marty

Earth 2 Chris
Jan 9, '14, 9:39 PM
Dallas was the only real headscratcher of the lines Figures announced, especially considering Mego couldn't get any interest in a toyline back in it's heyday. Dukes kept Mego afloat for awhile, and they still have a big fan base. Gilligan's Island is one of the lines that always comes up in the "I wish Mego had made..." polls. It was huge in syndication back in our day, and even had two cartoons based on it.

Chris

kingdom warrior
Jan 9, '14, 9:48 PM
Because licenses for top characters cost a sheeeetload of money; you have to be a big boy company and have capital to cover your loses, if your toy is a peg warmer......

Ulysses, or the Olympian pantheon, stuff unless they are movie tie ins are peg warmers. Today's kids are groomed to have toys from a movie or TV show.
With no advertising, toys like that have little chance to survive in a large store.....ever been to the generic toy section at TRUS? Neither have crickets...they are usually the cleanest isles except for the one or two nerdy kids that venture into them....now put that same toy in a 99 cent store and it flies off the peg......

MIB41
Jan 9, '14, 9:52 PM
I'm definitely all in for Gilligan's Island. It's my understanding they changed their mind about only making those in the 12 inch format and decided they would do 8 inch as well. I hope that remains the case. I have the figures Limited Edition put out many years ago in Mego scale with cloth outfits. They did Gilligan, Skipper, and the Professor. So I've had those characters in scale for a while. But it would be nice to see them in official Mego bodies. Here's an auction showing what they look like if no one has seen them before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gilligans-Island-10-Action-Figures-Set-of-3-Gilligan-Skipper-Professor-/251421389756?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3a89e1f3bc

ovenmitt
Jan 9, '14, 10:41 PM
I am especially glad that FTC acquired the DC Comics and Batman TV licenses! Those alone are unbelievable! I am buying a CASE of every wave of those 2 lines! I will also buy Dukes and Gilligan, hoping for ALL cast members from those 2 shows! Tarzan and Conan, too!

I hope DC license includes cartoons like Super Friends, TV Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, and movies Reeve Superman and Burton Batman! DC can support FTC for YEARS! Marvel wouldn' t hurt either!

jwyblejr
Jan 10, '14, 12:09 AM
Dallas was the only real headscratcher of the lines Figures announced, especially considering Mego couldn't get any interest in a toyline back in it's heyday. Dukes kept Mego afloat for awhile, and they still have a big fan base. Gilligan's Island is one of the lines that always comes up in the "I wish Mego had made..." polls. It was huge in syndication back in our day, and even had two cartoons based on it.

Chris

Plus they're doing Dukes figures Mego didn't do. I'll more than likely get a Rosco figure when he comes out.

thunderbolt
Jan 10, '14, 3:49 AM
Seems like they already have two of the big ones that people will buy with Kiss and Batman. I'm guessing that the generic unlicensed stuff didn't do as well since they still seem to have lots of cowboys, knights and Merry Men to sell. So they probably won't even look at generic gods or whatever. Would love for Gilligan to get the entire cast and maybe a few oddballs like a headhunter or guy in a gorilla suit.

houseofdracula
Jan 10, '14, 8:54 AM
Funny thing,... Growing up in the 70's we had Gilligan reruns at least twice a day and there was the cartoon version (The New Adventures of Gilligan) on Saturday mornings.
I remember wondering why there wasn't Gilligan Mego's or any Gilligan figures back then.
At the time, my Uncle worked for Hasbro and I asked him about this and he started talking about licenses and things that went over my third grade head.
I think these make perfect sense for any kid who grew up in the 70's.
Now, if they'd only do the characters of Sid & Marty Krofft TV shows. :wink:

Oh, and Gilligan (Bob Denver) would have turned 79 today.
Happy Birthday!

GHVersion12
Jan 10, '14, 10:03 AM
I loved watching Giligan when I was a kid and I was born in 1980, The reruns were always on so I for one will be buying every figure they make of the show the same goes for The Dukes of Hazzard.

EMCE Hammer
Jan 10, '14, 11:27 AM
I think the fact that I can't go to Entertainment Earth and purchase a Maude figure from BBP is an obvious sign of just how out of touch they really are. The lack of a World's Greatest Mail Carriers line just reinforces my point. No vision whatsoever from those guys.

Byrnes
Jan 10, '14, 12:15 PM
Maybe it's something they love. If I owned a company and could afford it, I would put out stuff I loved and could get the rights to do. I'm sure paying for the license is a huge cluster F. That has to be the worst part of owning a toy company, only doing what you can. Not what you want.

thunderbolt
Jan 10, '14, 12:17 PM
I think the fact that I can't go to Entertainment Earth and purchase a Maude figure from BBP is an obvious sign of just how out of touch they really are. The lack of a World's Greatest Mail Carriers line just reinforces my point. No vision whatsoever from those guys.
After Newman, Cliff Claven and Willy Lumpkin who else would be in the mail carrier line?

samurainoir
Jan 10, '14, 12:25 PM

Genius. If I had a toy company, you would be head of product development.

Wave 1 would include...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100503042341/cheers/images/6/67/Cliff1.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9l7y1PSZ11qka3zuo1_400.jpg

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsL/10133-26621.gif

Wave 2

http://www.davethefox.com/words/2003/images/mcfeel.jpg

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m29DwE-cIt4zyouF3HX_6_g.jpg

thunderbolt
Jan 10, '14, 12:36 PM
arrghh, forgot McFeely.

Figuremod73
Jan 10, '14, 1:20 PM
I sorta disagree about generics getting no interest. Chap Mei does pretty good at Toys R' Us. I know quite a few people who like their lines and they're CHEAP to because they have no tie in with anything.

More clothing and head choices are definately welcome.

Starroid Raiders Dagon
Jan 10, '14, 1:53 PM
I sorta disagree about generics getting no interest. Chap Mei does pretty good at Toys R' Us. I know quite a few people who like their lines and they're CHEAP to because they have no tie in with anything.

More clothing and head choices are definately welcome.

I was just thinking about this last night, as well. The good thing about the generics with Chap Mei (at least recently) is that they will touch on movie themes that are coming out (or recently released). They had the Adventure line with all Mummy related things along the lines of the Mummy movies, and Pirates that could go alongside the Pirates of the Carribean, the new line of Elves and Orcs for after the Hobbit came out and now they have the Greek figures that you could say were in line with the Clash of the Titans 2 or prior to the two Hercules movies coming out this year. Pretty solid timing for generic figures. That would be the way to go for getting figures into ToysRuS, but again, you have to go on the cheap for generics. Outside of that, most of the Disney older stuff is based off of old stories so you could do a Prince Charming figure as long as it didnt resemble the Disney version. Again, timing would be everything like getting a Huntsman figure out prior to a Snow White themed film that wasnt going to flop and would appeal to children.

EMCE Hammer
Jan 10, '14, 2:43 PM
Genius. If I had a toy company, you would be head of product development.

Wave 1 would include...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100503042341/cheers/images/6/67/Cliff1.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9l7y1PSZ11qka3zuo1_400.jpg

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsL/10133-26621.gif

Wave 2

http://www.davethefox.com/words/2003/images/mcfeel.jpg

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m29DwE-cIt4zyouF3HX_6_g.jpg

It's so obvious to us, but the suits are just clueless. Obviously there would be a wave or two of alter ego versions of each, in their civies. A little paint and McFeely would make a great Captain Kangaroo. Don't even get me started on what a travesty it is that a Mr. Green Jeans figure has never graced the toy aisle.

Teemu
Jan 10, '14, 2:43 PM
So nobody wants to buy Barry Davis Obama?

Earth 2 Chris
Jan 10, '14, 2:46 PM
After Newman, Cliff Claven and Willy Lumpkin who else would be in the mail carrier line?

Fred Astaire from "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". Oh wait, he has an action figure!

Chris

megoscott
Jan 10, '14, 3:28 PM
Dukes of Hazzard seems to have a pretty healthy fan following. 327,000 followers on Facebook. I don't see FTC mentioned anywhere on those pages, I hope they are planning to market these beyond Mego fans.

Gilligan can't be an expensive license these days, probably a decent bet if they can get their marketing together for it. Dunno about Dallas.

megoscott
Jan 10, '14, 3:29 PM
The picture of Cliff Clavin makes me wonder what the Cheers license would involve. I'd buy Seinfeld in a heartbeat for that matter.

thunderbolt
Jan 10, '14, 5:00 PM
I was just thinking about this last night, as well. The good thing about the generics with Chap Mei (at least recently) is that they will touch on movie themes that are coming out (or recently released). They had the Adventure line with all Mummy related things along the lines of the Mummy movies, and Pirates that could go alongside the Pirates of the Carribean, the new line of Elves and Orcs for after the Hobbit came out and now they have the Greek figures that you could say were in line with the Clash of the Titans 2 or prior to the two Hercules movies coming out this year. Pretty solid timing for generic figures. That would be the way to go for getting figures into ToysRuS, but again, you have to go on the cheap for generics. Outside of that, most of the Disney older stuff is based off of old stories so you could do a Prince Charming figure as long as it didnt resemble the Disney version. Again, timing would be everything like getting a Huntsman figure out prior to a Snow White themed film that wasnt going to flop and would appeal to children.

all that's at TRU and not at a company that is mostly built around the fanboy base that shops online. CTVT's pirates and stuff probably would have done ok at TRU or Dollar General when Jack Sparrow was big.

PNGwynne
Jan 10, '14, 5:45 PM
I think the fact that I can't go to Entertainment Earth and purchase a Maude figure from BBP is an obvious sign of just how out of touch they really are.

We need to get together and do a Maude figure--Bea Arthur deserves toy immortalization.

And it must have a voice chip :grin:.

megomania
Jan 10, '14, 7:01 PM
We need to get together and do a Maude figure--Bea Arthur deserves toy immortalization.

And it must have a voice chip :grin:.

Would it have the Male or Female body?? Or half and half?

-Chris

tllgn
Jan 11, '14, 12:10 PM
i love Gilligans !sland ,i also have the figures produced in the 90s,When i heard them say that Gilligan would be done in "8" format,also
i thought YES! ,i just hope they do the whole cast ,And with a Gilligan feature film in the works ,i think the market is there .if Dallas were "8"
size i would be in for them ,i already pre-ordered the "8"dukes ,and in for all the 'worlds greatest heros,Batman 66 ,Conan & Tarzan .its a great
time for us Mego fans ,Lets not forget Emce/Bif bang pows great figures as well .

ovenmitt
Jan 11, '14, 3:07 PM
I am a BIG Gilligan' s Island fan, I watched the reruns since the 70s and reunion movies and cartoons! I have the 90s figures as well. I always wondered why Mego never made Gilligan figures. That is why I am excited FTC has the license and will make 8" Gilligan and Skipper in addition to 12" and remaining castaways if 1st figures sell well! I want all 7! Tina Louise Ginger is only cast member who has held out before, I hope she can be made and do not color Ginger's hair WHITE like on the cartoons!

samurainoir
Jan 11, '14, 3:11 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gilligans-Island-10-Action-Figures-Set-of-3-Gilligan-Skipper-Professor-/251421389756?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3a89e1f3bc

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/3n0AAMXQVERSxKh8/$_57.JPG

JediJaida
Jan 11, '14, 4:44 PM
I was thinking of F Troop, which was way funnier than Gilligan's Island. Ken Berry is the ultimate straight man.

The Toyroom
Jan 11, '14, 5:06 PM
F Troop hasn't made it into the public conscious like Gilligan's Island.

Brown Bear
Jan 11, '14, 5:48 PM
This thread is more of an opinion than a statement. FTC has PLENTY of lines that people will buy as you can see in the posts.

I wish folks would really back off the ragging on FTC and just enjoy all of these awesome new lines.

Troy
Jan 11, '14, 6:49 PM
I've said it a million times...why not The Monkees!!!???

kingdom warrior
Jan 11, '14, 7:09 PM
I've said it a million times...why not The Monkees!!!???

Beatles Better and Especially this Year their 50th anniversary debut in the states

Boywonder0
Jan 11, '14, 7:17 PM
This thread is more of an opinion than a statement. FTC has PLENTY of lines that people will buy as you can see in the posts.

I wish folks would really back off the ragging on FTC and just enjoy all of these awesome new lines.

Ditto!

jwyblejr
Jan 12, '14, 12:13 AM
Do you think we could get Mama's Family figures?

starsky
Jan 12, '14, 1:53 AM
i'd be down for the A-team with THE van but i'm sure the licensing on that is on the high side.

Krypt0nite
Jan 12, '14, 2:44 AM
I'd love to see The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Wild Wild West get the Re-Mego treatment.

PNGwynne
Jan 12, '14, 9:52 AM
Wild Wild West, I wish. They could do a very nice set of just four figures,

Seems Harry Potter meets with approval.

piecemaker
Jan 12, '14, 10:21 AM
I'am in for the 8" Gilligan for sure.I'm hoping for the whole cast of castaways.

thunderbolt
Jan 12, '14, 2:59 PM
Wild Wild West, I wish. They could do a very nice set of just four figures,

Seems Harry Potter meets with approval.

I don't give a flip about Potter, but it will widen the Mego audience.

HardyGirl
Jan 12, '14, 3:29 PM
Hey, can you see a Junior custom (from Far Out Space Nuts) from a Gilligan figure? Too much! And I would LOVE Krofft figures! Electra Woman & Dyna Girl, The Bugaloos, Johnny, Scott and Sigmund, Kaptain Kool & The Kongs (first season) Fi, Fum, Alice and Jerry and of course the gang from HR PufNStuff! Wouldn't that be groovy?

And Happy Birthday, Bob Denver. I know Barney (from Space Nuts) misses you!

Funny thing,... Growing up in the 70's we had Gilligan reruns at least twice a day and there was the cartoon version (The New Adventures of Gilligan) on Saturday mornings.
I remember wondering why there wasn't Gilligan Mego's or any Gilligan figures back then.
At the time, my Uncle worked for Hasbro and I asked him about this and he started talking about licenses and things that went over my third grade head.
I think these make perfect sense for any kid who grew up in the 70's.
Now, if they'd only do the characters of Sid & Marty Krofft TV shows. :wink:

Oh, and Gilligan (Bob Denver) would have turned 79 today.
Happy Birthday!

JediJaida
Jan 12, '14, 3:32 PM
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Provided he actually LOOKED like either Rex Harrison or Edward Mulhare.

Troy
Jan 12, '14, 5:42 PM
Beatles Better and Especially this Year their 50th anniversary debut in the states

While The Beatles would be awesome (the line go out pretty deep with variations), The Monkees were a TV show as well. It fits with their model.

Another I'd like to see Mego-ized is The Green Hornet!

thunderbolt
Jan 12, '14, 5:44 PM
Hey, can you see a Junior custom (from Far Out Space Nuts) from a Gilligan figure? Too much! And I would LOVE Krofft figures! Electra Woman & Dyna Girl, The Bugaloos, Johnny, Scott and Sigmund, Kaptain Kool & The Kongs (first season) Fi, Fum, Alice and Jerry and of course the gang from HR PufNStuff! Wouldn't that be groovy?

outside of PuffnStuff there is nothing on that list that will appeal to more than a handful of people. Remember, it has to appeal to more than just your personal tastes. It needs to be a property that appeals to a wider audience.

palitoy
Jan 12, '14, 5:45 PM
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Provided he actually LOOKED like either Rex Harrison or Edward Mulhare.

You've got your finger on the pulse of the nation.

ubermanx
Jan 12, '14, 5:55 PM
Serenity / Firefly ....

HardyGirl
Jan 12, '14, 6:05 PM
Geez, can't a person dream out loud? And BTW...there are a good number of people who are into Krofft. If you don't believe me, just check around the internet, like Facebook and YouTube. So someday, maybe one of these re-Mego companies can put out a limited edtion of Krofft figures, so us Krofft fans can have our fill. But you can't have any, Thunderbolt. :no:

Oh, and HouseOf Dracula, I left out the original Land Of The Lost. :smile:

outside of PuffnStuff there is nothing on that list that will appeal to more than a handful of people. Remember, it has to appeal to more than just your personal tastes. It needs to be a property that appeals to a wider audience.

MIB41
Jan 12, '14, 6:19 PM
I know it will never happen, but I would love to see a 'World's Greatest Detectives' and do a Steve McGarret, Columbo, Kolchak the nightstalker, Jim Rockford, and maybe a Mac McMillian as well. Afterall, how can you look at the 70's and not find Rock Hudson? Maybe Brick could explore that character? :wink:

thunderbolt
Jan 12, '14, 6:19 PM
Geez, can't a person dream out loud? And BTW...there are a good number of people who are into Krofft. If you don't believe me, just check around the internet, like Facebook and YouTube. So someday, maybe one of these re-Mego companies can put out a limited edtion of Krofft figures, so us Krofft fans can have our fill. But you can't have any, Thunderbolt. :no:

Oh, and HouseOf Dracula, I left out the original Land Of The Lost. :smile:
Just stating a fact, HG, most of the line dreams you mentioned would not either be made or would not have legs to stand upon. I'd love a Screw On Head Mego figure but I know it won't happen.

JediJaida
Jan 12, '14, 6:26 PM
How about a line devoted to the many incarnations of Dracula?

From Lugosi to Langella, to Oldman and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers.

Barnabas Collins
Jan 12, '14, 6:39 PM
I'd love to see some Sid & Marty Krofft figures--Pufnstuf, Witchiepoo, HooDoo, Sigmund the Seamonster, Chaka, Sleestak, etc. I've been watching Pufnstuf and Land of the Lost on Me-TV the last several weeks on Saturday mornings.

Barnabas Collins

samurainoir
Jan 12, '14, 6:53 PM
How about a line devoted to the many incarnations of Dracula?

From Lugosi to Langella, to Oldman and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers.

Until that happens officially, Martin/DD are doing a pretty awesome job with these...
http://www.distinctivedummies.net/megostyle.html

PNGwynne
Jan 12, '14, 8:14 PM
...Remember, it has to appeal to more than just your personal tastes. It needs to be a property that appeals to a wider audience.

This thread is de facto about one member's personal taste.

palitoy
Jan 12, '14, 8:14 PM

I'd be all over Electra Woman and I actually did try to get an 8" Sleestak going, sadly it fell apart.

PNGwynne
Jan 12, '14, 8:32 PM
I'd be all over Electra Woman and I actually did try to get an 8" Sleestak going, sadly it fell apart.

EW & DG and Land of the Lost really do seem like they could have been classic Mego lines.

I'm not convinced their appeal is any more limited that REH, Dallas, or Evel Knievel.

HardyGirl
Jan 12, '14, 9:08 PM
Just stating a fact, HG

No, you're stating your opinion. Unless you've got graphs and charts and surveys of hundreds of thousands of folks who grew up in the 70s to back it up with.

thunderbolt
Jan 13, '14, 3:57 AM
No, you're stating your opinion. Unless you've got graphs and charts and surveys of hundreds of thousands of folks who grew up in the 70s to back it up with.

please, Kaptain Kool and the kongs have no appeal outside of you and a few others. The only Krofft stuff that might work for a wave or two is HR. I did grow up in the 70's and have no very fleeting memory of most of what you listed. Its got to appeal to the regular person outside our little dork circle to be a hit. Kiss, Bats, Twilight Zone, Venture Bros, Universal Monsters all have a broader appeal and that is why they got done. Dr. Shrinker, not so much. Unless you have graphs and charts to back up your opinion.

The Toyroom
Jan 13, '14, 8:03 AM
Krofft characters already got a small line of action figures (6 inch?) about 14 years ago that really didn't do much...

HardyGirl
Jan 13, '14, 11:31 AM
:rolleyes: :no: Again, just your opinion. Just b/c you grew up in the 70s doesn't make you an authority, just like it doesn't make me one, and I never claimed to be. But a lot of people don't like Venture Bros. or KISS either. I know I don't. But I wouldn't say that stuff wouldn't sell, b/c I'm not the voice of the public at large. Nostalgia is a very personal thing, and plugging in to what nostalgic items people will like and buy is sometimes a crap shoot. Just b/c people like it and remember it, doesn't mean they'll buy it. All I was doing was dreaming out loud. But leave it to you to turn it into a debate. I really wish that when you see my posts, you'd just look the other way.

please, Kaptain Kool and the kongs have no appeal outside of you and a few others. The only Krofft stuff that might work for a wave or two is HR. I did grow up in the 70's and have no very fleeting memory of most of what you listed. Its got to appeal to the regular person outside our little dork circle to be a hit. Kiss, Bats, Twilight Zone, Venture Bros, Universal Monsters all have a broader appeal and that is why they got done. Dr. Shrinker, not so much. Unless you have graphs and charts to back up your opinion.

drquest
Jan 13, '14, 12:35 PM
I'd buy Land of the Lost, Battle of the Planets and Speed Racer for sure.

thunderbolt
Jan 13, '14, 2:50 PM
:rolleyes: :no: Again, just your opinion. Just b/c you grew up in the 70s doesn't make you an authority, just like it doesn't make me one, and I never claimed to be. But a lot of people don't like Venture Bros. or KISS either. I know I don't. But I wouldn't say that stuff wouldn't sell, b/c I'm not the voice of the public at large. Nostalgia is a very personal thing, and plugging in to what nostalgic items people will like and buy is sometimes a crap shoot. Just b/c people like it and remember it, doesn't mean they'll buy it. All I was doing was dreaming out loud. But leave it to you to turn it into a debate. I really wish that when you see my posts, you'd just look the other way.
And what you post is opinion too, no matter how much you believe it to be fact. I am pointing out that the lines you mentioned don't have legs or would already be out there. Its not a crap shoot, the companies do research first and have some idea what will fly and what will lay a big turd at retail. Toyroom pointed out already that the Krofft stuff was given a whirl at retail and didn't last long. I am just trying to point out to you doing the same thing you seem to be accusing me of doing, assuming your opinion is fact. A lot more people like Kiss than Bigfoot and Wildboy, thus the action figures and oodles of other product. How come Rick Springfield hasn't gotten an action figure? You think he's popular, too right?

thunderbolt
Jan 13, '14, 3:03 PM
nevermind, waste of posting. :)

Brown Bear
Jan 13, '14, 3:43 PM
Now now kids... Let's keep our cool.

I'd like to see mego boxers like sugar ray and duran.

Earth 2 Chris
Jan 13, '14, 3:48 PM
Yeah, these posts are getting pretty nasty and personal. We'd all like to see figures made of our favorite properties, and we all have opinions on what would work and what wouldn't, as far as sales go. No need to hit below the belt on a speculative thread about toys.

Chris

samurainoir
Jan 13, '14, 3:49 PM
Well, this is the beauty of the format right? Niche.

I don't doubt that you can get a group of Krofft fans in the high three figures in order to justify a small run. If you can get the license that cheaply.

The big question is, Marketing and Distribution/Fulfillment.

Can you get it to the word out to these fans or even the casual consumer? Beyond just the Mego format fans here on the forum. Where/How would they purchase them? Who's fulfilling those orders? Who's getting a cut of the retail price... in the case of Diamond distribution, the Diamond itself as the distributer, and the retailer are getting most of that action. At that point is it worthwhile to go into production based on pre-orders?

BifBangPow is affiliated with one of the largest online Pop Culture stores.
Figures Toy Company has a huge warehouse in Florida and has/is doing the long tail thing for over a decade.

I have no doubt that it would be a labour of love for whomever did theoretically decide to do Krofft Mego style figures.

ubermanx
Jan 13, '14, 4:46 PM
littleplasticmen.com has a top five properties that need the ReAction 3.75" treatment. Sure would love some Mego size action as well.

- Spaceballs
- Princess Bride
- Last Star Fighter
- Tombstone
- Krull

Granted these properties are more mid 80's ...

- Marty

PNGwynne
Jan 13, '14, 5:33 PM
I'd love to see Princess Bride reMegos.

The film has a cult following, would it overlap into supporting the format?

JediJaida
Jan 13, '14, 5:55 PM
Why not? There's already an Andre the Giant action figure. All they would need is the Dread Pirate Roberts, Inigo Montoya and Princess Buttercup. Along with Prince Humperdink, the priest, and the Wallace Shawn character.

MysteryWho
Jan 13, '14, 8:01 PM
I know it will never happen, but I would love to see a 'World's Greatest Detectives' and do a Steve McGarret, Columbo, Kolchak the nightstalker, Jim Rockford, and maybe a Mac McMillian as well. Afterall, how can you look at the 70's and not find Rock Hudson? Maybe Brick could explore that character? :wink:

Yep, I love that idea too, although I was thinking of some other detectives, like Dirty Harry, Shaft, Bullitt etc.
What people like is pretty subjective and I'm just glad that anything I want ever gets made at all. It's lucky in some ways that Mego scale hasn't come back to the mainstream and stayed part of a collector's market. Otherwise we'd have Avatar Megos, but probably no SMDM, if you see what I mean.

Mego scale is the perfect way to explore these older licenses and programs, but there still has to be some demand to get things rolling.
On the other hand it's good to start out with something somebody else isn't already doing. I was at a big Nerdfest in Toronto where a
friend of mine sells t-shirts, some of them monster themed. His business was brisk but not everything was "officially licensed". I told him I had noticed a lot of Universal monster shirts and modern monster shirts (Jason, Freddy, etc.) but no Hammer. Apparently one of the artist's he works with is in Britain, and I said get some Hammer shirts made! You have to fill some kind of void, as Distinctive Dummies does with their figures.

Meanwhile, my Mego fantasies have turned to Irwin Allen TV shows. I've really only been watching them as an adult, but they might be good for a limited Mego treatment, maybe in series of two at a time like BifBangPow does. If it doesn't fly, stop at two.

dr_cyclops
Jan 13, '14, 10:10 PM
We should all remember the title of this thread. It does not read; What license would you like to see reMegoed?
The very title of this thread, invites debate on what someone wants and what someone else thinks would sell.

MIB41
Jan 14, '14, 11:08 AM
^^^ True... It's all very subjective.

pmwasson
Jan 14, '14, 11:53 AM
I'm sure the boy band of the month would sell well. So One Direction?

Even Mego made Menudo figures.

JediJaida
Jan 14, '14, 12:07 PM
One Direction? Eh; I suppose it could be worst.

Like Justin Bieber. *shudder*

Or Miley Cyrus. *shudder with hint of nausea*

tylerh
Jan 14, '14, 1:02 PM
Hey All

Im an art director for a toy company and I work with licensors daily - (And I have no Horse in this race re: the last 8 pages of whats popular and what isnt)

First - Obviously better licenses are more expensive. Thats basic. Also - Even if you have money, some licensed are unattainable because of legal reasons, or a LOT of red tape. Also, if you have a major license, the licensor wont even look at you unless you are a firmly established company with a track record of products, and some want to know what stores you are in, etc.

The license game is REALLY hard because people tend to think that if THEY like it, everyone does. NOT THE CASE!!

For example - If someone did a line of characters from the film TREMORS, for 30$ each (mego style) I would buy them all. But how many others would?? Considering you have to make a few THOUSAND of each to be able to make it financially reasonable, You would probably be sitting on a stinker. Tremors even had 4 films and a TV series!!

Or sometimes, you might get a surprise hit - Which you dont know until it happens - But thats the thing, its a MYSTERY. And if you buy enough figures to expect a HIT every time, you will be bankrupt fast.

Im telling you from experience - Obscure 70s TV shows dont sell. YOu get the 100-200 die hard fans and maybe a few others, but when it comes down to it, you may have casually liked a show as a kid - But are you going to spend 30$ on a toy from it?? Lots of people say HECK YA!!! but not nearly as many actually open their wallets. I learned this while watching the evolution of our GREEN HORNET line of products - And that show is considered "popular."

What I have learned??? You want a character from an obscure series in your collection? Commission an artist to make you a spectacular 1-off. A lot of the guys here can do production level looking stuff.

Thats just my 2 cents!

houseofdracula
Jan 14, '14, 5:08 PM
Well, I guess we won't be seeing the New Zoo Revue anytime soon, LOL. :grin:

skullface
Jan 14, '14, 5:38 PM
For the life of me I cant see a Dallas line working.....ever.Who would buy a toy from a show that had no child fan base? Same thing for loveboat.There are so many better lines,just waiting to be made.Why not WW2 ,and other historical? Or shows that had large fanbases...Hogans heroes, f toop,(not a big seller but I would love to see it) I dream of jeanie, or rotate though a vintage movie line that does big movies one after the other all under one umbrella. I would buy every Ray Harryhaussen toy in 8 inch made.
I would buy a dozen skeletons alone. It really is not hard to think of things that would sell. Go to any show and talk to dealers that have sold toys for 10 years or more and we can all run down a list of stuff that will sell if done well.

samurainoir
Jan 14, '14, 8:18 PM
For example - If someone did a line of characters from the film TREMORS, for 30$ each (mego style) I would buy them all. But how many others would?? Considering you have to make a few THOUSAND of each to be able to make it financially reasonable, You would probably be sitting on a stinker. Tremors even had 4 films and a TV series!!

I'd totally pay thirty bucks for Tremors figures as well! Give them all Graboid BAF parts.

There are fortunately, a few different financial models these days, but the beauty of a pre-tooled stock body in the Mego format is you can get a bit more boutique with your production runs.

The BBP Lost line for example only had a 1000 of each figure produced in the second series. However, given that there are millions of Lost viewers, and that they are still not selling out even at the current deep discount prices over at EE, proves your point exactly.

I know of a couple of other ReMego lines that came out with even lower initial or overall production numbers.

But again, if you are working at this level, it's completely a labour of love. Not that anyone is ever going to get rich making Megos in this day and age.

What I have learned??? You want a character from an obscure series in your collection? Commission an artist to make you a spectacular 1-off. A lot of the guys here can do production level looking stuff.

I had come to that exact same conclusion... and was in the midst of doing exactly that, when a series of events led me to jumping off the cliff. One can only dare dream of that surprise hit. 8)

megoscott
Jan 14, '14, 9:14 PM
Hey All

Im an art director for a toy company and I work with licensors daily - (And I have no Horse in this race re: the last 8 pages of whats popular and what isnt)

First - Obviously better licenses are more expensive. Thats basic. Also - Even if you have money, some licensed are unattainable because of legal reasons, or a LOT of red tape. Also, if you have a major license, the licensor wont even look at you unless you are a firmly established company with a track record of products, and some want to know what stores you are in, etc.

The license game is REALLY hard because people tend to think that if THEY like it, everyone does. NOT THE CASE!!

Or sometimes, you might get a surprise hit - Which you dont know until it happens - But thats the thing, its a MYSTERY. And if you buy enough figures to expect a HIT every time, you will be bankrupt fast.

Im telling you from experience - Obscure 70s TV shows dont sell. YOu get the 100-200 die hard fans and maybe a few others, but when it comes down to it, you may have casually liked a show as a kid - But are you going to spend 30$ on a toy from it?? Lots of people say HECK YA!!! but not nearly as many actually open their wallets. I learned this while watching the evolution of our GREEN HORNET line of products - And that show is considered "popular."

Thats just my 2 cents!

I know the line had it's problems and came out after the show ended badly, but I'm still a bit surprised Lost was such a bust. A current property with an active passionate fan base. 13 million people watched the finale and they couldn't move 1,000 sets of action figures.

enyawd72
Jan 14, '14, 9:21 PM
I know the line had it's problems and came out after the show ended badly, but I'm still a bit surprised Lost was such a bust. A current property with an active passionate fan base. 13 million people watched the finale and they couldn't move 1,000 sets of action figures.

I'm not. A bunch of completely boring figures of regular people with zero play value. What are you supposed to do? Re-enact your favorite scenes of people standing around talking?

samurainoir
Jan 14, '14, 9:35 PM

I always thought that this line might have stood a chance if somehow it were marketed to doll collectors. The show had a huge female following, and it does fit the "doll" category quite well. It's such an odd stigma between the labels of "action figure" and "doll"... the collectors of action figures won't touch dolls if it's labelled as such and vice versa.

My understanding is that it did well initially when McFarlane had the Lost license, but those were super realistic statues and produced within the first few years of the show.

I am really curious to see if there are enough pre-orders for Dexter to be released as a Mego, again, now that his show is over. Would have loved to see this come out a few years ago, but I can understandy why not given the controversy at the time over the existence of Dexter figures.

megoscott
Jan 14, '14, 9:40 PM
Well, it turned out to be the wrong audience for figures, those people tended to like artwork and t-shirts and thotchkes. BBP did better with the bobbleheads. Same deal with Dr. Who, I think they did gangbusters on journals and drinkware.

But still, they couldn't move 1,000 units for a show that had 20 million viewers in 2004. So no, F-Troop is a bad idea.

EMCE Hammer
Jan 14, '14, 9:42 PM
I'm not. A bunch of completely boring figures of regular people with zero play value. What are you supposed to do? Re-enact your favorite scenes of people standing around talking?

I had epic Waltons/Happy Days crossovers when I was a kid. Oh, the conversations we had!

samurainoir
Jan 14, '14, 9:49 PM

You have a very valid point, but to be fair though, the Retro format isn't really geared towards any play value if we are talking about kids wanting them, given that the primary targets of ReMego are nostalgic forty to fifty year old men. Most of us just display ours. Although with that said, have you seen the amount of play value MegoScott got out of his Lost figures on his blog?

It could have just been the wrong contemporary property paired with the wrong format at the wrong time. Maybe it would have been a success if it was a limited edition of a couple of hundred Jack figures in 1/6th Hot Toys format costing $150 a pop? These things are difficult to gauge sometimes.

The McFarlane figures initially did well, and those were pretty much display pieces only with zero play value... "nerd hummels" for adult fans of the show.

enyawd72
Jan 14, '14, 9:59 PM
You have a very valid point, but to be fair though, the Retro format isn't really geared towards any play value if we are talking about kids wanting them, given that the primary targets of ReMego are nostalgic forty to fifty year old men. Most of us just display ours.

Umm, yeah, me too! I don't play with my dolls and make sound effects or anything like that...cause that would be ridiculous. Yeah, I just display them. That's all.

dr_cyclops
Jan 14, '14, 10:13 PM
I've always wanted "Pardieu" and "Gorvil" from "Mazes and Monsters".:smiley1:

samurainoir
Jan 14, '14, 10:13 PM
Umm, yeah, me too! I don't play with my dolls and make sound effects or anything like that...cause that would be ridiculous. Yeah, I just display them. That's all.

:smiley1:

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/LMxTFqPET5I/hqdefault.jpg

Although this does bring up an interesting line of discussion since we are always playing "monday morning quarterback" when it comes to which lines to do, and why such-and-such line would be a hit or not.

Scoring the license for your hypothetical toy company is only the start of the battle. If y'all did get the Krofft or Maude or Grease license, and get them manufactured... How do you get the word out to the fanbase, and then distribute them to that fan base?

This forum gets enough traffic, but there are only so many Mego fans of your specific property here. Given the signal to noise ration on the internet in general, and tmblr, Facebook, twitter, etc. It's likely that many of the more casual fans are completely unaware that they made Krofft of HR Puffnstuff or whatever figures a few years ago. We really are past the point of If You Build it They Will Come these days on the internet.

Then... you manage to get the word out, and the demand starts pouring in? How are you going to fulfill that? How do you get your product into retail outlets? or directly into the hands of the consumer? and all their customer service inquiries.

Just food for thought.

tylerh
Jan 14, '14, 11:49 PM
Even if you get the license, and can hit the numbers, there are also approval processes, and sometimes actor likeness issues that need to be cleared. You can get a GHOSTBUSTERS figure license (For example) be ready to go, but legally you need Bill Murray to sign off on his likeness, and if he is busy, that can take 6-7 months?? So you are already behind.

The licensing game is a tough one.

Im shocked but not shocked at the LOST thing. FOr one, "Mego" is sort of a sub-culture as is... I mean, you have a new show with younger fans, who probably dont want a "70s toy." They are the HOT TOYS generation. It's so freaking hard doing licensed stuff. Im just grateful someone is doing it :)

weshightower21
Jan 15, '14, 3:15 AM
Somebody a few posts back said something about "mamas family" figures. How about "What's Happening" figures. Think about the accessories. Dwayne gets a basketball, Rerun gets a boom box, Dee gets a jar of peanut butter and Rog comes with "Rog Action".

HardyGirl
Jan 15, '14, 11:39 AM
Well, then call me ridiculous, b/c I still do that sometimes, especially when I have kids over here. Sometimes Batman and Superman will join me in the living room and listen to the old Superman radio shows, and they'll fly or act out somethng. Same thing w/ the Superfriends cartoon. They'll come out sometimes to act out a scene, or hang out in the HOJ Dida set or something. And I know I have yet to finish my Batman video on YouTube! :rolleyes: Playing w/ your action figures isn't ridiculous. :no: Regression is a great stress reliever.

samurainoir
Jan 15, '14, 1:46 PM
Well, then call me ridiculous, b/c I still do that sometimes, especially when I have kids over here.

I'm actually really happy to hear that. I've tried with the kids in my life, but they are more interested in their handheld devices than interacting with other folks these days. Which is a real shame.

skullface
Jan 16, '14, 1:51 PM
In all the talk about Lost not selling....no one said they looked bad. The show ****ed off all of its fans,then you get your toys to market,why would it do anything other than fail?
We have a lot of folks after our money,toys have to look good ,be on the market on time and at the right time. If I was doing it (making toys) I would only go after major classics with a longer shelf life .....but even that can fail. Look at the new Lone Ranger stuff,it is a huge fail,even though it should not be, but if you buy that stuff up like the lego sets for example they will sell great in a few years.

Iron Mego
Jan 16, '14, 1:54 PM
Well, then call me ridiculous, b/c I still do that sometimes, especially when I have kids over here. Sometimes Batman and Superman will join me in the living room and listen to the old Superman radio shows, and they'll fly or act out somethng. Same thing w/ the Superfriends cartoon. They'll come out sometimes to act out a scene, or hang out in the HOJ Dida set or something. And I know I have yet to finish my Batman video on YouTube! :rolleyes: Playing w/ your action figures isn't ridiculous. :no: Regression is a great stress reliever.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

BATMAN89
Jan 17, '14, 12:24 AM
I'm not. A bunch of completely boring figures of regular people with zero play value. What are you supposed to do? Re-enact your favorite scenes of people standing around talking? :smiley1::smiley1::smiley1::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::r otfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

BATMAN89
Jan 17, '14, 12:29 AM
You have a very valid point, but to be fair though, the Retro format isn't really geared towards any play value if we are talking about kids wanting them, given that the primary targets of ReMego are nostalgic forty to fifty year old men. Most of us just display ours.

I'm 49 and I'm sorry but the ReMegos have to have play value, like SMDM, or Retro Action DC Superheroes. My kids and I play with them all the time.
If I bought any LOST figures, we'd be lost! LOL
Worse yet, I didn't even see one episode of the show!
Same with Big Bang Theory. I only want the guy with the Batman shirt, just for the Batman shirt. If I owned any of them, they would just get wailed on by all the WGSH figures that we play with!

dr_cyclops
Jan 17, '14, 2:25 AM
I'm 49 and I'm sorry but the ReMegos have to have play value, like SMDM, or Retro Action DC Superheroes. My kids and I play with them all the time.
If I bought any LOST figures, we'd be lost! LOL
Worse yet, I didn't even see one episode of the show!
Same with Big Bang Theory. I only want the guy with the Batman shirt, just for the Batman shirt. If I owned any of them, they would just get wailed on by all the WGSH figures that we play with!If I had my 'Pardieu', he would wail on all your WGSHs, and take out a 'Gorvil' or two.
Do you think Tom Hanks would sign off on the likeness? Anyone else think this license (Mazes and Monsters) has potential?:smiley1::wink: