Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not get a license people will actually buy?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

Why not get a license people will actually buy?

Why?

I have no interest in Gilligan's Island, or Dallas, or President Obama.

With all of the licenses they bought, why not get one I would buy?

I'd love to see something out of mythology like Ulysses, or the Olympian pantheon.

Or tie ins to stuff like 'Frozen'? 'Brave' and other Pixar movies?

I'd love to have Merida in 1:9 scale, as well as Flynn Ryder.

I know that the Marvel license belongs to someone else, so we can't get classic X-men or Avengers.
    JediJaida
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Who says people won't buy Gilligan's Island or Dallas? Just because you have no interest doesn't mean other people don't.
    I've never even heard of Merida or Flynn Ryder and have no idea who they are, so you see, it depends on the person.
    I wouldn't buy any of YOUR choices.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

How would they know ahead of time what you'd actually support?

They did at least do a poll for Teen Titans' waves but are generally not interactive.

And I'm sure any Disney/Pixar characters are inaccessible due to Mattel contracts.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• draconianguard
        #1 Ernest Borgnine Fan
        • Mar 12, 2004

No license is needed to produce an Obama figure or one of any president.
        Pop Culture Central - Convention reports, toy reviews and more

Comment

• Figuremod73
          That 80's guy
          • Jul 27, 2011

I'd love to see something out of mythology like Ulysses, or the Olympian pantheon.
          I would like this and many of the others, epecially Egyptian.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Anything Disney or Pixar owned like Frozone or Brave would be tied up with the big toy companies. Unless we're talking about a retro property like Mary Poppins? and then it would still likely cost an arm and a leg to get.

I for one will be getting Gilligan's Island.

Dallas I'd guess seemed strategic because of the new TV show, or maybe it was a cheap or bundled license that they could do easily since they were producing 12" dress suits anyways for Kiss. Is JR using the same suit as any of the Kiss figures? At the very least, they will have a stock of affordable 12" business suits and a cowboy hat for customizers in that scale.
            Last edited by samurainoir; Jan 9, '14, 9:32 PM.
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• ubermanx
              Career Member
              • Jul 3, 2013

I'm in for Gilligan's Island. Gilligan and Skipper are a must and then I hope Mary Anne is next

Although I loved the Dukes of Hazzard on TV I think I'll pass on that one.

Definitely in for Conan, Solomon Kane and King Krull.

I think FTC is doing okay.

- Marty

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Dallas was the only real headscratcher of the lines Figures announced, especially considering Mego couldn't get any interest in a toyline back in it's heyday. Dukes kept Mego afloat for awhile, and they still have a big fan base. Gilligan's Island is one of the lines that always comes up in the "I wish Mego had made..." polls. It was huge in syndication back in our day, and even had two cartoons based on it.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Because licenses for top characters cost a sheeeetload of money; you have to be a big boy company and have capital to cover your loses, if your toy is a peg warmer......

Ulysses, or the Olympian pantheon, stuff unless they are movie tie ins are peg warmers. Today's kids are groomed to have toys from a movie or TV show.
                  With no advertising, toys like that have little chance to survive in a large store.....ever been to the generic toy section at TRUS? Neither have crickets...they are usually the cleanest isles except for the one or two nerdy kids that venture into them....now put that same toy in a 99 cent store and it flies off the peg......

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I'm definitely all in for Gilligan's Island. It's my understanding they changed their mind about only making those in the 12 inch format and decided they would do 8 inch as well. I hope that remains the case. I have the figures Limited Edition put out many years ago in Mego scale with cloth outfits. They did Gilligan, Skipper, and the Professor. So I've had those characters in scale for a while. But it would be nice to see them in official Mego bodies. Here's an auction showing what they look like if no one has seen them before.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 26, 2009

I am especially glad that FTC acquired the DC Comics and Batman TV licenses! Those alone are unbelievable! I am buying a CASE of every wave of those 2 lines! I will also buy Dukes and Gilligan, hoping for ALL cast members from those 2 shows! Tarzan and Conan, too!

I hope DC license includes cartoons like Super Friends, TV Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, and movies Reeve Superman and Burton Batman! DC can support FTC for YEARS! Marvel wouldn' t hurt either!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        Dallas was the only real headscratcher of the lines Figures announced, especially considering Mego couldn't get any interest in a toyline back in it's heyday. Dukes kept Mego afloat for awhile, and they still have a big fan base. Gilligan's Island is one of the lines that always comes up in the "I wish Mego had made..." polls. It was huge in syndication back in our day, and even had two cartoons based on it.

Chris
                        Plus they're doing Dukes figures Mego didn't do. I'll more than likely get a Rosco figure when he comes out.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Seems like they already have two of the big ones that people will buy with Kiss and Batman. I'm guessing that the generic unlicensed stuff didn't do as well since they still seem to have lots of cowboys, knights and Merry Men to sell. So they probably won't even look at generic gods or whatever. Would love for Gilligan to get the entire cast and maybe a few oddballs like a headhunter or guy in a gorilla suit.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• houseofdracula
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 11, 2011

Funny thing,... Growing up in the 70's we had Gilligan reruns at least twice a day and there was the cartoon version (The New Adventures of Gilligan) on Saturday mornings.
                            I remember wondering why there wasn't Gilligan Mego's or any Gilligan figures back then.
                            At the time, my Uncle worked for Hasbro and I asked him about this and he started talking about licenses and things that went over my third grade head.
                            I think these make perfect sense for any kid who grew up in the 70's.
                            Now, if they'd only do the characters of Sid & Marty Krofft TV shows.

Oh, and Gilligan (Bob Denver) would have turned 79 today.
                            Happy Birthday!
                            Last edited by houseofdracula; Jan 10, '14, 10:13 AM.
                            The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
                            https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Comment

• GHVersion12
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Jan 28, 2012

I loved watching Giligan when I was a kid and I was born in 1980, The reruns were always on so I for one will be buying every figure they make of the show the same goes for The Dukes of Hazzard.
                              Looking for Mego Thor Helmet and Hammer.
                              Mego 12 inch Captain America shield
                              Flash Gordon Megos
                              Mego Joker original shoes
                              Cast-A-way toys Phantom
                              Remco Frankenstein boots
                              Mego Isis Sandals
                              Tarzan suit

Hello My name is John and I am a MEGOholic.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎