PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible FTC can do individual Marvel characters??

Teemu
Jan 4, '14, 4:31 PM
Considering we are getting a Conan repro...Conan was owned by Marvel

Rumor suggests that Thor is also coming..

Is it possible that FTC can get license to do figures individually from the Marvel universe?

Mego-Amigo
Jan 4, '14, 4:42 PM
Conan is not owned by Marvel. I just read though that the comic book license has reverted back to Marvel from Dark Horse.

PNGwynne
Jan 4, '14, 4:43 PM
What Thor rumor--I'm intrigued?

FTC has, as far as I know, a REH license, thus Conan and also Kull & Solomon Kane (but not Red Sonja which was originally a Marvel creation).

In this case, I think it has to do with licenses, which have shifted from Marvel, & not specific vintage WGSH characters.

Is FTC's Tarzan licensed through ERB Enterprises or somehow Time-Warner?

JediJaida
Jan 4, '14, 4:59 PM
I'm completely in favor of a Red Sonja figure!

If they do Thor, they had BETTER do Loki! What's one without the other?

thunderbolt
Jan 4, '14, 5:08 PM
Conan is not owned by Marvel. I just read though that the comic book license has reverted back to Marvel from Dark Horse.
Dark Horse still has Conan. Marvel is getting Star Wars back due to being in the same company now.

pmwasson
Jan 4, '14, 5:47 PM
I guess they could always do a non-Marvel Norse-god Thor.

madmarva
Jan 4, '14, 6:13 PM
Conan is a licensed character whose comics were printed by Marvel for a time. Those rights are now held by Darkhorse. CTVT has licensed the character to make the figures from R. E. Howard Estate and chose to use A design very similar to Marvel's. While Thor is a character of myth and lore, Marvel owns the version of the character it's printed since the early 60s. Like Paul suggested CTVT could make a figure called Thor, but it's likeness would have to be different than Marvel's.

I'm guessing the rumor of the Thor figure is that CTVT sells boots that look like the mego Thor boots. cTVT also sells boots similar to the mego Iron-Man boots.

Some have knowingly suggested that CTVT might pick up the Marvel license at some point for 8" figures, but nothing has been officially announced that I have read. But I hope it happens.

ovenmitt
Jan 5, '14, 1:43 AM
I wish Disney would license Marvel and Star Wars Mego 8" figures to FTC if Hasbro is not doing anything in that scale!

Earth 2 Chris
Jan 5, '14, 8:21 AM
I think a lot of the confusion on Conan stems from the fact that the character was licensed almost exclusively through Marvel in the 70s, and there was little to no indication of the REH estate being involved at all.

Perhaps the deal was similar to Shazam/Captain Marvel at that time. DC did not outright own the Marvel Family characters until the mid-80s, but no license material actually mentioned Fawcett, the real owners.

Chris

JediJaida
Jan 5, '14, 10:33 AM
They could do a straight up mythological version of Thor, but that would require the use of a muscle body, considering that in the myths he was described as BIG!

He'd have to have red hair, a beard, a different costume, and a different hammer.

Loki would have to be somewhat shorter, maybe a regular body, with red hair, scar detailing on his lips, and a bit of a smirk. Doable, but I really don't see them doing this anytime soon.

jayraytee
Jan 5, '14, 11:38 AM
I could see it, since they are using the same male body for all figures except the penguin. Batman and Robin are the same size... so mythical Thor and Loki could be too. In fact, they might even use the same Conan head with redish rooted hair instead of the black or Blonde. I would imagine for the Conan series they might mine a lot of war-like mythical heroes, what about Hercules?

Figuremod73
Jan 5, '14, 12:21 PM
Wouldnt mind a generic mythological line or just make the heads and parts available. I've been thinking about getting this head thats already available. Got a certain Greek in mind for it: http://www.classictvtoys.com/oldmanwithwhitehairandbeardfullypaintedhead.aspx

thunderbolt
Jan 5, '14, 12:43 PM
Wouldnt mind a generic mythological line or just make the heads and parts available. I've been thinking about getting this head thats already available. Got a certain Greek in mind for it: http://www.classictvtoys.com/oldmanwithwhitehairandbeardfullypaintedhead.aspx

that head would be good for Gandalf, too. Sorta looks like Ian McKellan.