Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible FTC can do individual Marvel characters??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Teemu
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 15, 2010

Is it possible FTC can do individual Marvel characters??

Considering we are getting a Conan repro...Conan was owned by Marvel

Rumor suggests that Thor is also coming..

Is it possible that FTC can get license to do figures individually from the Marvel universe?
  • Mego-Amigo
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 22, 2011

Conan is not owned by Marvel. I just read though that the comic book license has reverted back to Marvel from Dark Horse.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

What Thor rumor--I'm intrigued?

FTC has, as far as I know, a REH license, thus Conan and also Kull & Solomon Kane (but not Red Sonja which was originally a Marvel creation).

In this case, I think it has to do with licenses, which have shifted from Marvel, & not specific vintage WGSH characters.

Is FTC's Tarzan licensed through ERB Enterprises or somehow Time-Warner?
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

I'm completely in favor of a Red Sonja figure!

If they do Thor, they had BETTER do Loki! What's one without the other?
        JediJaida

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
          Conan is not owned by Marvel. I just read though that the comic book license has reverted back to Marvel from Dark Horse.
          Dark Horse still has Conan. Marvel is getting Star Wars back due to being in the same company now.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• pmwasson
            Maker
            • Sep 12, 2007

I guess they could always do a non-Marvel Norse-god Thor.
            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

Conan is a licensed character whose comics were printed by Marvel for a time. Those rights are now held by Darkhorse. CTVT has licensed the character to make the figures from R. E. Howard Estate and chose to use A design very similar to Marvel's. While Thor is a character of myth and lore, Marvel owns the version of the character it's printed since the early 60s. Like Paul suggested CTVT could make a figure called Thor, but it's likeness would have to be different than Marvel's.

I'm guessing the rumor of the Thor figure is that CTVT sells boots that look like the mego Thor boots. cTVT also sells boots similar to the mego Iron-Man boots.

Some have knowingly suggested that CTVT might pick up the Marvel license at some point for 8" figures, but nothing has been officially announced that I have read. But I hope it happens.
              Last edited by madmarva; Jan 4, '14, 6:16 PM.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                Persistent Member
                • May 26, 2009

I wish Disney would license Marvel and Star Wars Mego 8" figures to FTC if Hasbro is not doing anything in that scale!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I think a lot of the confusion on Conan stems from the fact that the character was licensed almost exclusively through Marvel in the 70s, and there was little to no indication of the REH estate being involved at all.

Perhaps the deal was similar to Shazam/Captain Marvel at that time. DC did not outright own the Marvel Family characters until the mid-80s, but no license material actually mentioned Fawcett, the real owners.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• JediJaida
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 14, 2008

They could do a straight up mythological version of Thor, but that would require the use of a muscle body, considering that in the myths he was described as BIG!

He'd have to have red hair, a beard, a different costume, and a different hammer.

Loki would have to be somewhat shorter, maybe a regular body, with red hair, scar detailing on his lips, and a bit of a smirk. Doable, but I really don't see them doing this anytime soon.
                    JediJaida

Comment

• jayraytee
                      Career Member
                      • May 27, 2011

I could see it, since they are using the same male body for all figures except the penguin. Batman and Robin are the same size... so mythical Thor and Loki could be too. In fact, they might even use the same Conan head with redish rooted hair instead of the black or Blonde. I would imagine for the Conan series they might mine a lot of war-like mythical heroes, what about Hercules?
                      My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

Wouldnt mind a generic mythological line or just make the heads and parts available. I've been thinking about getting this head thats already available. Got a certain Greek in mind for it: http://www.classictvtoys.com/oldmanw...intedhead.aspx

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Figuremod73
                          Wouldnt mind a generic mythological line or just make the heads and parts available. I've been thinking about getting this head thats already available. Got a certain Greek in mind for it: http://www.classictvtoys.com/oldmanw...intedhead.aspx
                          that head would be good for Gandalf, too. Sorta looks like Ian McKellan.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎