Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the FTC's Figures be exact replicas of the original Megos?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MeWantMegos
    Museum Super Collector
    • Apr 4, 2010

Should the FTC's Figures be exact replicas of the original Megos?

Should the figures be exact replicated of the original Megos? Or just Mego inspired?

Someone in another thread pointed out that the Penguin doesn't look as fat. Not that it's the end of the world but I too remembered him having a bigger stomach. Really not a complaint.

For pure nostalgia I would prefer if they are more or less the same. But will happily support the line regardless.
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

I think they should be as close as humanly possible, yes. I'm sure there are very real limitations as far as materials and costs, but I think they are doing really well.

I guess it's sort of like they Playing Mantis Captain Action repros. Those were pretty close , weren't they?

Comment

• Astronut
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 21, 2010

They're close enough, as far as I'm concerned. Nearly indistinguishable is better than I ever expected or dreamed of seeing in 2014. Love 'em.

Comment

• kerowack
        Career Member
        • Feb 27, 2008

I honestly don't know what more we could want. When I was ten(around 1988) I remember that I was allowed to go to the toy store on Saturday and pick out something if I did good in school or did my chores. No matter how many toy stores I dragged my parents to, I always checked for megos (or I used to call them the super heroes with real clothes) and could never find them. I remember thinking that maybe there would be some long lost box that was found or that some toy store would still carry them. Either way, I would have KILLED for these.

The fact that they are a bit different (a BIT), helps keep these from being passed off as originals while they are close enough for me to get overwhelmed with nostalgia.

Comment

• Astronut
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 21, 2010

Originally posted by kerowack
          I honestly don't know what more we could want. When I was ten(around 1988) I remember that I was allowed to go to the toy store on Saturday and pick out something if I did good in school or did my chores. No matter how many toy stores I dragged my parents to, I always checked for megos (or I used to call them the super heroes with real clothes) and could never find them. I remember thinking that maybe there would be some long lost box that was found or that some toy store would still carry them. Either way, I would have KILLED for these.

The fact that they are a bit different (a BIT), helps keep these from being passed off as originals while they are close enough for me to get overwhelmed with nostalgia.
          That's a really cool story, man... and I agree with you re: original vs. repro.

Comment

• Figuremod73
            That 80's guy
            • Jul 27, 2011

I think their fine. Its really just the body issues. I also would have liked these to have been available in the '80s. I did have Kenner Superpowers so i guess it was a pretty good trade off, lol.

What I would really like other than these being made is for them to get the body problems completey fixed and release them in regular stores like Toys R' Us. I know the chances of that are slim but I bet kids would really like them if they've never seen a mego before. The Retro Action line was dropped to quick in store distribution, IMO.

Comment

• Astronut
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 21, 2010

Originally posted by Figuremod73
              I think their fine. Its really just the body issues.
              Yup. Agreed.

Originally posted by Figuremod73
              What I would really like other than these being made is for them to get the body problems completey fixed and release them in regular stores like Toys R' Us. I know the chances of that are slim but I bet kids would really like them if they've never seen a mego before. The Retro Action line was dropped to quick in store distribution, IMO.
              My two cents, if the price point is not able to fall to $10 to $15 each, there is no way these would be able to move at a decent pace to the young demographic. Can you imagine hearing little Billy say, "Hey, ma! Kin I git one of deez soupa hee-woes pwease?" and mom replying, "Oh, they're only $25? Oh, $20? Sure thing! Hey, you might as well get two while you're at it!"

As much as I want to see them go big again at retail... and trust me, I would love seeing that, I have dreamt of that... there is zero chance they would sell mass quantities for more than $15 a pop. Just not going to happen, I don't care how good the distribution or how good the variety of characters.

Comment

• jayraytee
                Career Member
                • May 27, 2011

I agree. I think in order to be aimed literally at kids, they would have to be in the $10 range... which won't happen. Mass distribution at collector prices is useless.

As for the closeness to actual mego figures, these are what I was hoping for when the famous covers line hit the stores. They were overpackaged, overpriced and not enough like a mego for me. These things are as close as I would want them, not exact because you don't want anyone passing them off as originals, but as close as they need to be. They look pretty close, the color slightly different is fine to me... the screenprinted chest emblems are a good upgrade to originals. If they would license one of the rubberbandless bodies and use those... they would be perfect 'new' megos for me. That would keep me from having to switch them out, and an acceptable upgrade, in my opinion. But these things are reasonably as close as anyone has come to the originals without going over the line of being fake originals.
                My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Astronut
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 21, 2010

Originally posted by jayraytee
                  I agree. I think in order to be aimed literally at kids, they would have to be in the $10 range... which won't happen.
                  E-yup. $10 would be the perfect - - not to mention reasonable and SANE - - price point for the "under 10 years of age" child demographic this period in time. IMO At that price I can imagine little Billy actually getting his mom to buy them on a consistent basis over a period of time.

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

I like the duplicates or near duplicates, but would rather see more accurate portrayals of the characters from the comics.

While I have a nostalgic love for the goofy-faced sculpts and oven mitt gloves, I think attempting to adhere to style that was considered cheap 40 years ago severely limits the desirability the figures beyond the relatively small crowd nostalgic for the figures of our youth.

After buying the recent Freddy and Jason figures from Necca, I would have much preferred for Necca to have handled the DC license. The clothing is better quality as are the paint apps. And the sculpts don't look like they tried and missed like megoes always have.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                      That 80's guy
                      • Jul 27, 2011

I agree. I think in order to be aimed literally at kids, they would have to be in the $10 range... which won't happen. Mass distribution at collector prices is useless.
                      And that may have been why the Retro Actions didnt last long.

I checked the inflation calculator and $10 would be about right since a Mego would have been $1.97 in 1973.

Comment

• rlkrefft
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 14, 2010

I wanted to ask to those who had the RC Batman and RM Robin, is it true the RM Robin was only found with a cloth belt?
                        If so, why isn't FTC using a cloth belt? Also I heard RM Batman only was found in vinyl silky looking trunks and not the regular cloth trunks like most of the other releases. Is this true? It appears from photos FTC RC Batman and RM Robin are exactly (from the neck down) like the wave 1 versions.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                          Still Old School
                          • Feb 14, 2008

I like the slight variations to some degree to avoid people being fooled that these are originals, however being as exact as possible is something FTC should shoot for. If Batman's blue is off a bit or Robin's head a little long, big deal. Folks should get over it and enjoy the toy.

I think we ALL want never released figs sooner than later anyway.
                          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                            One eyed, wonder
                            • Dec 17, 2009

I love the direction FTC is going with their repros. Every variation to the originals, only makes them more identifiable. I like to think of it, as 'close enough for fun'.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Astronut
                              They're close enough, as far as I'm concerned. Nearly indistinguishable is better than I ever expected or dreamed of seeing in 2014. Love 'em.
                              I'd agree, and I'm pretty darn picky.

I've shown then to friends who have a passing knowledge of Megos via my collection, and the response has ranged from "pretty nice" to "they look great."

"Close enough for fun"? Brilliant!!
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎