PDA

View Full Version : My FTC story

PNGwynne
Dec 24, '13, 5:55 PM
Several days ago, I went to my local toy/comics shop to pick up my books & a Capt. America collectible as a Christmas gift for a friend.

While there, I saw a display of rows of FTC's Bat-wave 1. It made me smile, and I had a powerful feeling of deja vu:

*It must have been sometime in 1977--spring-summer? Prior to Star Wars ruling my life. I went with friends to Conley's, a small Ohio discount chain. Of course I cruise through the Toy Dept.--they had a few shelves year-round.

I see row after row--seemingly hundreds but of course only a case or two--of type-2 blister-carded WGSH, more than I'd ever seen before and in huge variety. I recall specifically a carded Catwoman, the only Catwoman I'd ever seen "live" and I was enthralled. (We lived in a small rural town & did mostly catalogue shopping.)

I couldn't nab one because I wasn't with my Mom, and of course when we went back, it was gone.

*So seeing a pile of Megos like that is always exciting and makes me think of childhood collecting. (I feel the same way when I see the opening sequence of The Toy.)

Sure--I'm picky: I think the bodies could probably be better. I think Batman's cape should have a pleat in the front. (But I also think the stunning Emce Phantom should have his burgundy vest.)

The fact is, the "kid" in me likes these; wave 1 is mostly great & I'm glad I got a set--I'll likely get some doubles and kit-bash a bit. Red Hood, variant Batman, "Ledy" Robin, on and on...

I'll keep you posted when I pop them open :grin::wink:.

kerowack
Dec 24, '13, 6:26 PM
I'm opening mine under the tree Ina few short hours. At least, I hope my wife got the hint!

wayne foundation 07
Dec 24, '13, 6:34 PM
Well worded, and a great recaptured childhood memory my friend.

Boywonder0
Dec 24, '13, 7:26 PM
Several days ago, I went to my local toy/comics shop to pick up my books & a Capt. America collectible as a Christmas gift for a friend.

While there, I saw a display of rows of FTC's Bat-wave 1. It made me smile, and I had a powerful feeling of deja vu:

*It must have been sometime in 1977--spring-summer? Prior to Star Wars ruling my life. I went with friends to Conley's, a small Ohio discount chain. Of course I cruise through the Toy Dept.--they had a few shelves year-round.

I see row after row--seemingly hundreds but of course only a case or two--of type-2 blister-carded WGSH, more than I'd ever seen before and in huge variety. I recall specifically a carded Catwoman, the only Catwoman I'd ever seen "live" and I was enthralled. (We lived in a small rural town & did mostly catalogue shopping.)

I couldn't nab one because I wasn't with my Mom, and of course when we went back, it was gone.

*So seeing a pile of Megos like that is always exciting and makes me think of childhood collecting. (I feel the same way when I see the opening sequence of The Toy.)

Sure--I'm picky: I think the bodies could probably be better. I think Batman's cape should have a pleat in the front. (But I also think the stunning Emce Phantom should have his burgundy vest.)

The fact is, the "kid" in me likes these; wave 1 is mostly great & I'm glad I got a set--I'll likely get some doubles and kit-bash a bit. Red Hood, variant Batman, "Ledy" Robin, on and on...

Great story, bro! I am excited as well with the new FTC Megos and grateful that they brought these back to us... Wasn't that what we were all anxiously waiting for decades? Merry Christmas!

zeedox
Dec 26, '13, 9:19 PM
http://www.shopdcentertainment.com/product/batman+retro+action+figure+batftaf01.do?sortby=our Picks&refType=&from=fn

drogge
Dec 27, '13, 8:17 PM
http://www.shopdcentertainment.com/product/batman+retro+action+figure+batftaf01.do?sortby=our Picks&refType=&from=fn

Did they post the wrong pictures, these are from the series 3 due out next year, how odd?

Red Hulk
Dec 28, '13, 11:13 AM

Well said I'd like to see them do the Marvel Comics characters as well someday.