X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

My FTC story

Several days ago, I went to my local toy/comics shop to pick up my books & a Capt. America collectible as a Christmas gift for a friend.

While there, I saw a display of rows of FTC's Bat-wave 1. It made me smile, and I had a powerful feeling of deja vu:

*It must have been sometime in 1977--spring-summer? Prior to Star Wars ruling my life. I went with friends to Conley's, a small Ohio discount chain. Of course I cruise through the Toy Dept.--they had a few shelves year-round.

I see row after row--seemingly hundreds but of course only a case or two--of type-2 blister-carded WGSH, more than I'd ever seen before and in huge variety. I recall specifically a carded Catwoman, the only Catwoman I'd ever seen "live" and I was enthralled. (We lived in a small rural town & did mostly catalogue shopping.)

I couldn't nab one because I wasn't with my Mom, and of course when we went back, it was gone.

*So seeing a pile of Megos like that is always exciting and makes me think of childhood collecting. (I feel the same way when I see the opening sequence of The Toy.)

Sure--I'm picky: I think the bodies could probably be better. I think Batman's cape should have a pleat in the front. (But I also think the stunning Emce Phantom should have his burgundy vest.)

The fact is, the "kid" in me likes these; wave 1 is mostly great & I'm glad I got a set--I'll likely get some doubles and kit-bash a bit. Red Hood, variant Batman, "Ledy" Robin, on and on...

I'll keep you posted when I pop them open .
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 24, '13, 5:57 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • kerowack
    Career Member
    • Feb 27, 2008

I'm opening mine under the tree Ina few short hours. At least, I hope my wife got the hint!

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
      Time to feed the cat
      • Dec 30, 2007

Well worded, and a great recaptured childhood memory my friend.

Comment

• Boywonder0
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        Several days ago, I went to my local toy/comics shop to pick up my books & a Capt. America collectible as a Christmas gift for a friend.

While there, I saw a display of rows of FTC's Bat-wave 1. It made me smile, and I had a powerful feeling of deja vu:

*It must have been sometime in 1977--spring-summer? Prior to Star Wars ruling my life. I went with friends to Conley's, a small Ohio discount chain. Of course I cruise through the Toy Dept.--they had a few shelves year-round.

I see row after row--seemingly hundreds but of course only a case or two--of type-2 blister-carded WGSH, more than I'd ever seen before and in huge variety. I recall specifically a carded Catwoman, the only Catwoman I'd ever seen "live" and I was enthralled. (We lived in a small rural town & did mostly catalogue shopping.)

I couldn't nab one because I wasn't with my Mom, and of course when we went back, it was gone.

*So seeing a pile of Megos like that is always exciting and makes me think of childhood collecting. (I feel the same way when I see the opening sequence of The Toy.)

Sure--I'm picky: I think the bodies could probably be better. I think Batman's cape should have a pleat in the front. (But I also think the stunning Emce Phantom should have his burgundy vest.)

The fact is, the "kid" in me likes these; wave 1 is mostly great & I'm glad I got a set--I'll likely get some doubles and kit-bash a bit. Red Hood, variant Batman, "Ledy" Robin, on and on...

Great story, bro! I am excited as well with the new FTC Megos and grateful that they brought these back to us... Wasn't that what we were all anxiously waiting for decades? Merry Christmas!

Comment

• zeedox
          Career Member
          • Aug 10, 2007

http://www.shopdcentertainment.com/product/batman+retro+action+figure+batftaf01.do?so

Comment

• drogge
            Career Member
            • Jul 24, 2009

Batman

Did they post the wrong pictures, these are from the series 3 due out next year, how odd?

Comment

• Red Hulk
              Career Member
              • Dec 19, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne

Well said I'd like to see them do the Marvel Comics characters as well someday.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎