X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoSteve
    Superman's Pal
    • Jun 17, 2005

Looking inside Star Battles Winter 1978 issue

My latest post on Collecting Superman covers the Winter 1978 issue of Star Battles, a sci-fi magazine from the 1970s, and its features on Superman. The first article is particularly interesting as the author writes his thoughts on balancing popular appeal with fan appeal in a multi-million dollar blockbuster intended to reach wide audiences, a topic that's still relevant today.

• ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hee heee....

Yeah, that "Batman" guy will NEVER be marketable.

It's interesting that they seem to take great pains to NOT call Supes a "super hero." No doubt due to the acceptance of "Star Wars" they try to shunt Superman into the sci-fi realm. I wonder if that'd fly post "Phantom Menace."

Don C.

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

I think it's still a relevant discussion today, even with the popularity of superhero films and shows.

I also found this interesting- "I’m also struck by the author’s virulent hatred of the 60s Batman TV show." I think it's hard for us to realize the lasting impact of that show on mainstream views on superheroes and comics and, consequently, the potential marketing value of potential superhero projects. As kids, we just ate up the reruns with a much less critical eye. (I love the show. It's the only show of which I own the entire run on DVD) I think the show cemented the idea that comics and superheroes were silly, simplistic children's fare only suited to be satirized for an adult audience. The Hulk got a more dramatic handling on TV, but Wonder Woman was seen as a bit silly/fun. It would be some time before heroes could be seen for their more serious and impactful story potential.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• MegoSteve
        Superman's Pal
        • Jun 17, 2005

Oh, I agree with that. I think the stupid Lex underlings may have been a result of the campy Batman TV show.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎