X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Canadian Star Wars

Or as I called it Star Wars, this page from 1979 shows a lot of the unique Star Wars items that could be found north of the US border. From the cardboard deathstar to the regal plush ending with the (very collectible) cheap-o utility belts that recycled some pieces from Remco.

I want to add that I never partook in any of those unique items as a kid, not that I'm complaining (I did great!) but I just find it kind of funny.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Awesome! I think that Canada was the only country to get both the plastic Death Star playset and this chipboard one. And those Regal stuffed toys and especially those utility belts are tough items to find these days. Great catalog page!

Comment

• skid14
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 23, 2011

somehow ive never seen the plush jawa..........

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

That Death Star is pretty cool. I hadn't realized it was available in Canada along with the Kenner version. I wonder if the kids in England liked the Kenner version as much as the kids in the U.S. liked the Palitoy version?

Was it ever reproduced?
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Actorman
          Museum Super Collector
          • Oct 4, 2010

Those utility belts are the perfect combination of "nice try" and "what the heck?" LOL!! (Of course, that is all part of their charm.)

Even though Vader never carried a side arm, at least there were plenty of other characters who did so I can at least see an indirect connection. The Leia belt on the other hand... a watch and a "make believe camera?" That's the best they could come up with? I guess she could take some selfies while keeping track of how many hours she's been in the Death Star's detention cell. :-)

A utility belt that would have actually made sense would have been a Luke one, since he actually used one in the movie (which was technically a Stormtrooper utility belt.) In addtion to a light saber and gun it could have included a grappling hook and a pair of binoculars, two items he actually used in the movie. (They could have just used the gappling hook from the Batman belt.)

Also, love the description of the carrying case's "ice cube trays!" Too funny.

I never saw the UK/Canada version of the Death Star playset until a few years ago. I actually like it better than the Kenner one.

I don't think I ever knew until now that the "cardboard Sandcrawler" playset (as I've always referred to it) was called "Land of the Jawas."

Great post for a Monday morning. Things like this always brighten my day.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

My brother and I had Star Wars Utility belts. I think we got them for Christmas one year. The lightsabers were the closest thing we had to "real" lightsabres back in the day, and many related injuries ensued.

I've acquired the plush Chewie and R2 at garage sales many years ago. I see the plush jawa often enough, I really should pull the trigger on that at some point.

Always wanted the chipboard deathstar, and I see it at shows, but can't really justify it. Don't have the space to set it up and display.
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

If anyone ever sees this at a reasonable price, it's worth picking up (you used to be able to get them for five or ten bucks). The guy who did this book was a staple at local toy shows a dozen years ago or so.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

This really reminds me of the original plush

Buy Star Wars Chewbacca Collector Plush at Entertainment Earth. Mint Condition Guaranteed. FREE SHIPPING on eligible purchases. Shop now!

Comment

• doublecee
                  • Dec 29, 2007

As a Brit kid, I wasn't aware of a US / UK difference on the Death Star play set. But with Hindsight I think we got the better one.
                  http://www.project-palitoy.com
                  Classic Palitoy Adverts I found on 35mm Film
                  http://vimeopro.com/palitoy/palitoy-for-the-boys
                  http://vimeopro.com/palitoy/palitoy-for-the-girls
                  garden Railway
                  http://craigsgardenrailway.blogspot.co.uk/
                  Day Job
                  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1117804

Comment

• ubermanx
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 3, 2013

Wow. This page is definitely burned into my retinas from staring at it every day for months before Christmas that year.

And it was quite the haul. I got everything except the plushie's and belts. Seems like my Mom just phoned up all my relatives and told them which Sears page to turn to.

- Marty

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by samurainoir
                      If anyone ever sees this at a reasonable price, it's worth picking up (you used to be able to get them for five or ten bucks). The guy who did this book was a staple at local toy shows a dozen years ago or so.
                      I really have to get this book. I remember flipping through it at a bookstore when it first came out, lots of great pics and information inside.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        I really have to get this book. I remember flipping through it at a bookstore when it first came out, lots of great pics and information inside.
                        I'll check BMV and if they have any copies, I'll grab one for you.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

It's a great book, the author used to live in my town. We didn't really know each other but I remember once we were both getting toy money orders at the same time.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by samurainoir
                            I'll check BMV and if they have any copies, I'll grab one for you.
                            Thanks for looking Ed! I really have to check that store out the next time I'm in the big city, it sounds interesting.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by cjefferys
                              Thanks for looking Ed! I really have to check that store out the next time I'm in the big city, it sounds interesting.
                              use the Miyazaki festival at the TIFF as an excuse! (Princess Mononoke is playing between Christmas and New Years)
                              TIFF is a charitable cultural organization with a mission to transform the way people see the world, through film.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎