Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To open or not to open....this is the question....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nazgul
    Lord of Light
    • May 2, 2011

To open or not to open....this is the question....

So I have these.....

They are Toy Fair exclusive "prototype" versions of the Mezco Cryptozoology figures. They are pretty cool and fairly rare, but are the most undisplayable toys in package that I have ever seen. There just seems like there is no way to properly display them as they are. So my question is "What would you do?" Open them and display them properly or keep them as is and throw them back in a storage box?
    You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky
  • Marvelmania
    A Ray of Sunshine
    • Jun 17, 2001

IMO if they are rare then keep them sealed but if just a little rare or not so much then open those puppies up!!!

Comment

• chazz530
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 20, 2013

I would hang them displayed in the bags. Pretty sure I'd cut my pinky off before I'd take them out off the package. Then again I prefer stuff kept in the package/ carded.
      Come see my items for sale at:
      http://Webstore.com/~Chazz530

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Looks like they are just stapled closed, I'd pry the staples open and display them.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

You answered your own question young Padawan...kept sealed and thrown in a box is no life for a toy. You must set the toy free. Only then, can you truly enjoy it.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

If it was a carded item, that's a big deal as once it's open, it's done. However I don't see much difference in opening these as I do a boxed WGSH, if you're cautious, you could put it all back together if you wanted. I've done the same thing myself.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• 4NDR01D
              Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
              • Jan 22, 2008

I display all my vinyls out of the bag, but I keep all my headers and baggies. I can't imagine that the value would decrease that much just popping a couple staples.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Yeah, if they are just stapled shut, you could carefully remove them without ruining the integrity of the packaging. If they are glued shut, you might be out of luck.

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                  Time to feed the cat
                  • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by drquest
                  Looks like they are just stapled closed, I'd pry the staples open and display them.
                  yep that's what I would do

Comment

• Red Hulk
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 19, 2012

They're pretty cool if they can be opened without wrecking the package I'd go for it.

Comment

• nazgul
                      Lord of Light
                      • May 2, 2011

Cool, thanks for the input guys...They are in zip locks with a stapled header card. I think I can open them with out any damage......Looks like my Crypto display will be shaping up.....Thanks again!

Comment

• chazz530
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 20, 2013

Whatever way you will get the most enjoyment out of them is the way to go. I still think they would look cool displayed in the bag.
                        Come see my items for sale at:
                        http://Webstore.com/~Chazz530

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                          Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                          • Jan 22, 2008

Looks like a cool line of figures, I probably would have flipped for them a few years ago. Look forward to seeing your display.

Comment

• nazgul
                            Lord of Light
                            • May 2, 2011

Whatever way you will get the most enjoyment out of them is the way to go. I still think they would look cool displayed in the bag.
                            I hear what you're saying, and I tried for years to do it right. I even tried what you suggested, but in the space that I want to use, it just wasn't workable...

Looks like a cool line of figures, I probably would have flipped for them a few years ago.
                            They are pretty sweet, just getting kinda tough to find, especially at a decent price. Anyone know if they ever released the Loch Ness Monster?

Comment

• Red Hulk
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 19, 2012

Originally posted by nazgul
                              I hear what you're saying, and I tried for years to do it right. I even tried what you suggested, but in the space that I want to use, it just wasn't workable...

They are pretty sweet, just getting kinda tough to find, especially at a decent price. Anyone know if they ever released the Loch Ness Monster?
                              No just Bigfoot,The Jersey Devil,The Moth Man and a Moth Man varient.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎