PDA

View Full Version : KISS - Dressed To Kill

houseofdracula
Dec 4, '13, 11:59 AM
Shipping Now!

http://figurestoycompany.com/images/products/detail/FTC_KISS_D2K12_Group.1.jpg

pmwasson
Dec 4, '13, 12:14 PM
I wasn't going to buy anymore KISS figures, but those do look sharp!

vulcan2074
Dec 4, '13, 12:15 PM
I wasn't going to buy anymore KISS figures, but those do look sharp!

Yeah they do. :beaming1:
Sammy

houseofdracula
Dec 4, '13, 12:20 PM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1470374_551231484970569_1472203676_n.jpg

I've been a KISS Fan since 76, even played in a Tribute Band for a few years.
However, I was not happy with the original KISS figures that I bought from FTC, I had to replace the bodies.
I wasn't going to buy anymore either but I then took a chance with the Batman set and I was pleased with the new bodies.
So, I may be picking these up too.
We'll see.

boss
Dec 4, '13, 1:31 PM
already on my Christmas list.

fallensaviour
Dec 4, '13, 1:32 PM
Oh hell yes!!!

Red Hulk
Dec 4, '13, 2:20 PM
Those head sculpts are sharp.

houseofdracula
Dec 4, '13, 2:28 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/904200_551326924961025_970256975_o.jpg

noelani72
Dec 4, '13, 3:32 PM
^^is it just the angle of the pic, or is Gene's head sculpt different than that teaser pic we've been seeing for months?
That mouth looks closed to me and the expression looks different….

sprytel
Dec 4, '13, 4:29 PM
Not a collector of the KISS line, but those are some darn nice suits.

houseofdracula
Dec 4, '13, 5:31 PM
^^is it just the angle of the pic, or is Gene's head sculpt different than that teaser pic we've been seeing for months?
That mouth looks closed to me and the expression looks different….

Good question and Great Eye, I didn't even notice that.

Wise4671
Dec 4, '13, 6:26 PM
These look slicker then dog pop on a wet porch :-)

samurainoir
Dec 4, '13, 10:12 PM
12" and 8"?

Those suits would be really useful for customs if they were in 8" format

MIB41
Dec 4, '13, 10:27 PM
Need better shots. Their faces look kind of squishy. But that could just be the camera angle. Hopefully we'll get some quality pics like they did with the retro heroes.

noelani72
Dec 5, '13, 2:07 PM
confirmed - 8" Gene IS a different head sculpt than the 12" Gene.
dammit. I mean, c'mon…

MIB41
Dec 5, '13, 2:46 PM
Farrow has got some fantastic close up photos of all the production 12 inch figures on his Facebook page. Very nice. I haven't seen the 8 inch Gene close up yet, but it absolutely looks different. You know there is so much likeness on Peter, I'm really surprised he could not sue KISS for his likeness over and above the makeup. I mean you can clearly see that is Peter Criss.

noelani72
Dec 5, '13, 3:04 PM
^^I hear ya Tom…that is the #1 reason I wanted these figures - Farrow sculpts made on a mass-scale.

But, the 8" Gene does not follow the DTK theme…and FTC's website page for the 8" Gene is misleading..it does not reflect this never-before-seen head.

MIB41
Dec 5, '13, 3:22 PM
I read Farrow had to make a number of sculpt changes, so I think the original intent had to be switched. I dare say when the 12 inch sculpt got shrunked down, it didn't translate properly, so they scrapped it. My thoughts. Paul and Peter on the 12 inch scale look excellent. I'll have to have those. Ace is descent but the likeness is still kind of iffy. Gene is okay, but that smile just looks off to me. Hard to do expressions like that. It's very open to personal interpretation. I know their coming out with figures in their Alive outfits and the sculpts are different there. So I'm hoping I might get my definitive Gene and Ace from that lot. But Farrow does awesome work. No one beats him. This is a tremendouse first shot out of the gate. He should be commended.

noelani72
Dec 5, '13, 4:11 PM
nope, the Gene 12" head did not get shrunk - they made an entirely different head for the 8" Gene - expressionless, unlike the Dressed to Kill Lp cover picture.

My expectations for the DTK line was probably higher than it should of been (second guessing myself a lot lately with FTC).
But, long before FTC acquired KISS, I was familiar with Farrow's work as I had seen it on other sites and Ebay…so when he got hired, the bar raised quite high. Danny is an exceptional artist and he is a great asset to FTC.

Most folks here know I am KISS-fan at heart - but I have a budget. When the 12" repro Mego figs came out, those were a must…and we had issues with bodies being strung too tight, face paint with obvious brush touch-ups, and hair that was so unattractive/dis-similar to how Mego did it in the 1970's…well…it was what it was.

Look at all the other KISS lines…and speaking as a KISS fan, there is simply no interest in them, aside from perhaps the various Gene figures because of his costumes. 'I' don't have them all, and the sole reason I have the First LP KISS figures is because I received them as a Xmas gift last year.

But DTK…like I said, expectations rose very high in my head and I was hell bent on getting them come hell or high water…perhaps in both formats 8" and 12"..which is a first for me.

Then out of nowhere, a pic of an unknown Gene head shows up in their FB pic this week. Kudos to FTC for quickly promoting product and getting folks riled-up their pre-orders were finally shipping…but whoa, Gene is NOT what we've been fed over the past few months.
To me, that is inexcusable.

It is no different than Marvel hyping the release of Iron Man 3 on Bluray, you wait three months in anticipation…it comes out. You rush to the store and buy it, plan an evening with your family and friends to screen it. You sit everyone down, popcorn in hand and start the show…just to discover that Marvel turned it into a cartoon.
Make sense?

MIB41
Dec 5, '13, 10:19 PM
^^^ I completely understand and many thanks for the insight on the head. I was unaware of that. Very cool. I can understand your frustration. It will be interesting to see what the close ups photos for the eight inch look like.

mego maniac mark
Dec 5, '13, 10:49 PM
Now I am worried about this series. I too fell in love with those photos , especially the Gene grin which looked so cool. All of them for that matter looked just like the album cover ( one of my fave's) which is why I want them. I have not got any of the other kiss figures, but have asked Santa for these. I hope I am not let down

Wise4671
Dec 5, '13, 11:01 PM
I was going to buy a set of the 8"ers until I seen that the head sculpts are now different then what was being shown. Come on FTC you got the ball rolling big time with the Batman release don't slow it down like this.

THE FALCON
Dec 6, '13, 5:11 AM
Wow, what a big difference in Gene's head sculpt. I like the first version much better.

CrimsonGhost
Dec 6, '13, 10:53 AM
Why didn't they just reduce the 12" Farrow sculpts? Is it just the Gene that is different or is it actually all of them? Weird...

noelani72
Dec 6, '13, 11:32 AM
ya know, I really don't understand why they do what they do…it's like they are struggling as a company (even though they've been around well over a decade) or there are too many hands in the cookie jar to keep stories and websites straight.

I mean, companies get sued for stuff like this - its called False Advertising. To win, one must prove they were hurt by the deception.
Well, not sure how you claim damages over a toy that doesn't look as it was advertised, but what it "IS" should not matter.

Go to their site right now, here let me help you…
8" Gene DTK sales page:
http://figurestoycompany.com/kiss8inchactionfiguresseries5dressedtokillthedemon .aspx

IT says, in addition to a beautiful photo of an excellent figure…
"The Demon's face paint and outfit were derived from KISS's album entitled "Dressed to Kill" that was released on March 19th, 1975. His highly detailed legendary style comes complete with a gray scale pinstripe suit, matching the albums cover."

Here is the album cover:

Here is a side-by-side comparison of the 8" figure that is shipping according to the pic off their Facebook wall:

I just don't understand and if you can't tell from my tone, I am pretty disappointed.

thunderbolt
Dec 6, '13, 12:22 PM
Makes me nervous about the 66 Batstuff. Will they just show us the 12 inch figures as prototypes then pull a bait and switch with the actual product?

CrimsonGhost
Dec 6, '13, 12:33 PM
It's fascinating, really. The angle of the 8" photo makes it hard to tell what is going on. I've thought since the prototypes that the smile on Gene looked odd...I wonder if he actually is smiling and he's just sculpted with a underbite and at this angle it looks like he's not smiling. The jury is still out.

But then, if the head is different, I wonder why? Maybe the color version will have the smile? Curious to see how it comes out.

noelani72
Dec 6, '13, 3:05 PM
Makes me nervous about the 66 Batstuff. Will they just show us the 12 inch figures as prototypes then pull a bait and switch with the actual product?

BINGO - that's my point.
I am so disappointed that I have been fed photos of an AWESOME sculptor's work…..that as of today was still being shown as the "big grin and teeth" head for sale on the 8" figure…just to learn that - ohhhhhhh we couldn't shrink the nice Farrow 12" head properly, sooooooo instead we just whipped this one up cuz it's just as good".

That's the way I read the switch and I am really really disappointed.
I was so wanting this line (based strictly on the photos FTC themselves released) in both formats…but now, the Gene head is totally off and wrong..it's like ordering a Superman and it comes with and Aquaman head….makes no sense.

ctc
Dec 6, '13, 9:32 PM
Hmmmm....

I don't think I'd call it a "bait and switch." Figures are almost always different from proto/test shot stage to final product. That's a big reason I don't do pre-orders.

Don C.

Astronut
Dec 6, '13, 11:54 PM
This is my personal take. I, for one, am grateful and thrilled that there is a company that is actually giving us Mego-style figures in the year 2013. Seriously. I mean, there's nothing wrong with discussing these things (slight disappointment etc) but I cannot imagine complaining about a head sculpt deviation when I have had dreams for nearly 30 years of Megos coming back from the dead. No lie. I have literally woken up from at least a dozen dreams of finding Megos back in stores hanging on peg hooks... or finding cases of them in an abandoned warehouse. I am so happy to know we are not only getting good quality Mego-type figures like the KISS lines and now the DC WGSH stuff. Holy ****. Seriously. I am extremely thankful for these things, warts and all.

noelani72
Dec 7, '13, 7:12 AM
^^well, I can agree with you - I too am grateful the 8" line is being offered with different companies and figures - that's why this particular occasion stings for me.

This has nothing to do with the head being a deviation - the 8" Gene head is not tweaked, it is completely different.
I just read some received their figure yesterday, they complained on FTC's Facebook page.
Complaints mean the head change did not live up to the expectations of the consumer - why? because the head is drastically different than the one they've been showing everyone from Day #1. hell, gimmie the bald 12" head and I'll scan it, shrink it and 3D print my own...that would shut me up and FTC would never hear me ***** about this ever again. (see, that comment implies that I bought the figures, so I've not totally written them off yet (damn close though) )

MIB41
Dec 7, '13, 7:53 AM
I'm itching for someone to post a pic of this 8 inch Gene. FTC has clearly gone quiet on the issue and is not posting any closeups. It would be really great to see just how different the two are. That angled shot certainly is telling. But for those who have already received them, it would be great to see an actual front-on shot so we can compare. I understand and respect Chad's position. And there's a difference between slight variations from prototype to finished product and a complete overhaul of what was advertised. The whole point of the figures was to mimic the front album cover. And the promotional advertising indicated both scales would be identical. And the fact it's a 'toy' means absolutely nothing to me. Chad's not frustrated over a $2.00 rack toy. This is a figure that (with shipping) is over $30.00. There should be an expectation for what he is receiving.

mego
Dec 7, '13, 10:23 AM
here's a shot from KISSasylum.com:
http://www.kissasylum.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/dolls-dtk-mountain.jpg
I look forward to some decent shots of these guys... I'm very curious.

noelani72
Dec 9, '13, 12:46 PM
FTC responded on Facebook just now - they have corrected their website to reflect the 8" head sculpts.
The Gene has a smirk instead of his big grin…not as bad as it looked in that original unboxing photo.

http://figurestoycompany.com/kiss8inchactionfiguresseries5dressedtokill.aspx

They made comment on Facebook that I could have read incorrectly, but as I read it - IF you bought and received the 8" Gene and were unhappy, you could send him back for an exchange for the 12" Gene.
If I read that right, that's FTC eating about $50 for the mistake - which, in my opinion, is pretty good public relations.

rche
Dec 9, '13, 1:14 PM
Not sure that reads as a one on one replacement. More like "if you don't like the 8" sculpt, we will take it back and sell you the 12" version"

CrimsonGhost
Dec 9, '13, 1:30 PM
Yuck, I don't like that 8" Gene head at all. I guess it's supposed to look like the cover of the solo album? I can't tell if it's the eye paint, or the giant, wide nose, but it just looks silly.

Not all is lost however, Ace's pants and shoes will look great on a Pee-Wee Herman custom.

ODBJBG
Dec 9, '13, 2:07 PM
I like the 8 inch one, it's Gene in the midst of a stroke. Seriously... I have no horse in this race, but that is an odd choice for a head sculpt. It just looks like he's making a Popeye face or something, lol.

MIB41
Dec 9, '13, 3:45 PM
Yeah, it kind of looks like what I call his 'Wolfman grin' from the solo record. It's okay, but not very effective as a head sculpt. The 12 inch line is probably the best here. And here is their return policy...

Return Policy

Any returns must be made within 30 days of the day you receive the package.

Mail back any unwanted/incorrect item(s) for an exchange or refund to:

Figures Toy Company
12826 Commodity Place
Tampa, FL 33626

Please include a brief note instructing us what you would like us to do (refund, exchange, etc).

Please note: We do NOT issue call tags. Shipping fees can be refunded when the error is ours (for example: wrong item is sent) but if you simply change your mind on an item, the return shipping is not refundable.

houseofdracula
Dec 9, '13, 5:10 PM
8 inch - http://figurestoycompany.com/images/products/detail/KISS_D2K_08inch_Demon_CU.jpg
12 inch - http://figurestoycompany.com/images/products/detail/FTC_KISS_D2K12_Demon.jpg

thunderbolt
Dec 9, '13, 5:14 PM
bwahahahaha!!

gummi
Dec 9, '13, 10:06 PM
Damn, I'm really glad that I didn't preorder the 8 inch set now. I have no interest in the 12 inch set, so these will be a definite pass for me now purely because of the Gene head sculpt. It's nice that they're offering an exchange for the 12 inch gene for all that preordered, but who wants three 8 inch figures with the one odd 12 inch. I can't imagine what they were thinking with this face sculpt. Very disappointing.

fallensaviour
Dec 9, '13, 10:57 PM
8 inch - http://figurestoycompany.com/images/products/detail/KISS_D2K_08inch_Demon_CU.jpg

I don't know I think they did a freaking bang on job!!!
For this guy...LOL
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f394/fallensaviour/RonPerlman_zpsdf33750b.jpg

Now I can get started on an SOA Clay custom figure.
Thanks FTC you made Ron Perlman...LOL

In all seriousness It's nothing like the 12" but it's not that bad at all.
It's just not as freaking awesome as the 12 or what was expected.

mego maniac mark
Dec 10, '13, 12:08 AM
Oh no, that's not good

noelani72
Dec 10, '13, 9:59 AM
there's been a couple new comments on their FB wall from folks who've received their 8" Gene and were confused..

I'm over whatever little tizzy I experienced with this Gene head sculpt change…I don't have to buy em, sure wanted the 8" set as I've seen for most of this year…but I'm not out anything except some disappointment..

EMCE Hammer
Dec 10, '13, 10:02 AM
It will work perfect for my botox Gene.

MIB41
Dec 10, '13, 11:09 AM
there's been a couple new comments on their FB wall from folks who've received their 8" Gene and were confused..

I'm over whatever little tizzy I experienced with this Gene head sculpt change…I don't have to buy em, sure wanted the 8" set as I've seen for most of this year…but I'm not out anything except some disappointment..

I would just wait for these outfits to go on sale loose as most of their stuff typically does and then get a good Gene head sculpt when a good one comes along. I'm essentially looking for the definitive head sculpts of each band member and then I'll apply all the different outfits to just those four figures. Buying all of these MOC just to have the outfits seems like a waste of money if the heads are going to get better. I like the Peter and Paul heads in this series, so I'll sit back and wait for those to go on sell loose.

gummi
Dec 10, '13, 3:08 PM
I checked Facebook, and I have a question about the explanation they gave as to why they waited until now to reveal this face sculpt. The pictures have been up on their site for how many months, and they just now realized that they posted the wrong one for the 8 inch Gene? Something just doesn't seem right about all of this.

boss
Dec 10, '13, 3:56 PM
I love it when things come together...

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/5/9/frown_original.jpg

MEGOMAN
Dec 10, '13, 10:30 PM
The head sculpt for the 8" Gene is great but it really sucks that FTC made us think that we were getting what they advertised. It's complete crap that they did a second head sculpt.

mego73
Dec 10, '13, 10:40 PM
I kinda like the 8" one since it evokes the solo album cover but it is quite different from the 12"

CrimsonGhost
Dec 11, '13, 8:56 AM
After looking at all the new pics that Figures put up on Facebook, I think the only one I really like is Paul. I like the original Mego Ace, Gene, and Peter more than the new ones... And Peter is almost there, but his eyes are crazy crooked.

I wonder if they're going to use these same heads for the ALIVE! figures they have been teasing. It would follow their pattern so far.

noelani72
Dec 11, '13, 11:30 AM
when I saw this picture of Gene, I couldn't help but hear the song in my head…We represent…the Lolly-Pop Guild, the Lolly-Pop Guild, the Lolly-Pop Guild.

boss
Dec 11, '13, 11:54 AM
They really need to figure out hair.

thunderbolt
Dec 11, '13, 12:14 PM
maybe that expression is for that "oops I swallowed that blood capsule" moment.

noelani72
Dec 11, '13, 3:31 PM
They really need to figure out hair.

After my failed attempts to style the ZICA Yvonne hair, I wonder if styling these KISS figs is possible.
Gene and Paul look ok to me..Paul being the best.
But the Peter and Ace…god…it looks like 'just-out-of-the-pool-and tossed-back' look. There's nothing in their hair that looks like the person. No bangs. No whips. Nothing.
It's more acceptable on the 12" figures I think but it really looks off on the 8" figs.

mego
Dec 12, '13, 8:03 AM
I'm glad someone is making these retro KISS figures.
Dressed to Kill is a strange choice, of which i will pass on. They look ok, I've never seen an 8" suit that doesn't look baggy & weird... these are no different.
Is anyone able to post a picture of the forthcoming ALIVE! figures that are pictured on the back of the package?

MEGOMAN
Dec 12, '13, 1:24 PM
I'm glad someone is making these retro KISS figures.
Dressed to Kill is a strange choice, of which i will pass on. They look ok, I've never seen an 8" suit that doesn't look baggy & weird... these are no different.
Is anyone able to post a picture of the forthcoming ALIVE! figures that are pictured on the back of the package?

Wow, I did not know the back of the package showed the next wave.

Has anyone received their figures yet? If so post a picture of the back of the packaging!!!

gummi
Dec 15, '13, 1:39 AM
I posted a question on their Facebook page asking them if they could explain the decision to go with the alternate head sculpt for Gene, but I never received a reply. I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but it makes absolutely no sense to use a head sculpt with an expression that bears no resemblance to the album cover. Do you all really think this was planned or some kind of screw up on their part? It also seems very suspicious that the picture wasn't updated until pre-orders had already shipped out. I just can't believe that someone in the company didn't realize that they had the wrong picture posted on their site for all these months. This whole thing is very disconcerting to say the least.

Astronut
Dec 15, '13, 1:50 AM
Seriously? Who gives a flying f*ck? We have freaking Megos in the year 2013. Stop what you're doing for a second and process that. I'm being 100% serious.

gummi
Dec 15, '13, 2:16 AM
Seriously? Who gives a flying f*ck? We have freaking Megos in the year 2013. Stop what you're doing for a second and process that. I'm being 100% serious.

Thank you so much for your constructive post Astronut. To answer your question, I give a flying f*ck. The fact that they made an alternate head sculpt and didn't make their customers aware of the change until they had already been shipped out is most definitely cause for concern. If you're so ecstatic to have new Megos that your willing to accept whatever shows up on your door step, good for you, but when I purchase something I expect it to look like what was advertised. A reasonable explanation needs to be given as to why this variant head sculpt wasn't made known until after the fact.

sprytel
Dec 15, '13, 1:11 PM
I posted a question on their Facebook page asking them if they could explain the decision to go with the alternate head sculpt for Gene, but I never received a reply. I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but it makes absolutely no sense to use a head sculpt with an expression that bears no resemblance to the album cover. Do you all really think this was planned or some kind of screw up on their part? It also seems very suspicious that the picture wasn't updated until pre-orders had already shipped out. I just can't believe that someone in the company didn't realize that they had the wrong picture posted on their site for all these months. This whole thing is very disconcerting to say the least.

I was thinking about this. I think it is the paint work on the teeth. It is pretty intricate, and kind of makes the smile. I wonder if the factory couldn't get the paint right at 1:9, and that forced them to change the sculpt.

CrimsonGhost
Dec 15, '13, 1:36 PM
I was thinking about this. I think it is the paint work on the teeth. It is pretty intricate, and kind of makes the smile. I wonder if the factory couldn't get the paint right at 1:9, and that forced them to change the sculpt.

That's interesting, but something like that would have been discovered right away, as a request for a different sculpt would have been made before production. Unless the factory took it upon themselves to provide a new sculpt, but that would be a really strange situation.

So if they needed a different sculpt from the start, why continue to post pics of the smiling sculpt? I mean, they couldn't have thought no one would notice.

MEGOMAN
Dec 15, '13, 9:53 PM
That's interesting, but something like that would have been discovered right away, as a request for a different sculpt would have been made before production. Unless the factory took it upon themselves to provide a new sculpt, but that would be a really strange situation.

So if they needed a different sculpt from the start, why continue to post pics of the smiling sculpt? I mean, they couldn't have thought no one would notice.

The bottom line is that something stinks with these 2 sculpts! FTC needs to fess up!

noelani72
Dec 25, '13, 11:09 AM
Santa brought the non-exclusive 12" Gene.
Overall, very pleased.
Body poses good.
Clothes are done quite well.
Face paint is immaculate.
New shoes are interesting.

Hair, meh, could still improve.
And in Classic CTVT FTC fashion, the item was not as described....his suit does not have the pin striping and he does not have the shirt sleeve cuffs as seen in every advertised picture.

nobody
Dec 25, '13, 11:35 AM
Happy Festivus...and now the airing of the grievances...............:grin:

mego maniac mark
Dec 25, '13, 5:51 PM
Happy Festivus...and now the airing of the grievances...............:grin:

I'll take the invite....
My better half got me the 8 inch versions after I said how I wanted them after seeing those first pics. Those first pics, specially the gene is why I wanted them. I have not gotten any of the others, but would like them. I do think the Peter sculpt looks the best followed by Paul , Ace, then Gene.
I also love the card art but would prefer them right sized to traditional figures , or even the new WGSH clams.

Now onto the feats of strengths.......who want some????

galaxyexplorer42
Dec 25, '13, 6:41 PM
Wow. This is a pretty serious issue. Yes, I am happy that we are getting Mego style figures in 2013, but we've been getting Mego style for a few years now. Nowadays, we have an embarrassment of riches of reMego products; So much so that we can and should address issues such as these.

Something stinks in Suburbia. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

The sculpt was shown, advertised, and not delivered. But when questioned about it, the response was NOT, "Well, the reason we had to do this was blah blah blah..." Instead, the response was, "If you don't like it, we'll send you a different product...". To me, that shows a somewhat lack of respect for your customer, your bread & butter.

From the point of view of the HEAD of FTC, if a certain head sculpt was shown, not delivered, AND you have a bunch of your customers raising the issue, the right thing to do, is 1) give an explanation to your customers as to why one sculpt was shown and another sold, and 2) make the original smile sculpt in the 8" format and, at the very least, offer it to your customers on the parts section of your website...

Give the people, your customers, what they want. If you have the license, and you paid the sculptor, offer the headsculpt in the format that your customers want it in...

boss
Dec 26, '13, 11:30 AM
Got the 8" DTK figures yesterday. I like them. The Gene sculpt is a little wonky (as is Ace), but in actual size they look fine. It's easy to see the flaws when the picture is magnified so much.

MEGOMAN
Dec 26, '13, 12:22 PM
Got the 8" DTK figures yesterday. I like them. The Gene sculpt is a little wonky (as is Ace), but in actual size they look fine. It's easy to see the flaws when the picture is magnified so much.

Can you post a picture of the back of the packaging????

noelani72
Dec 26, '13, 12:32 PM
glad to hear Boss. You gonna open them up?
I have some Xmas $$ burning a hole in my pocket, but I'm honestly having a hard time pulling the trigger on anything FTC…but ultimately probably will because they have stuff I want, reckon I will fix the problems and grow my collection.
I'm tempted to add the pin stripe to my Gene suit and conjure up some shirt cuffs. I just like how he was originally pictured and when I have that mental imaged engrained in my head…those two little things really stick out to me.
The newer pics on FTC's site do reflect the 12" Gene as I received him, however, on the packaging it still shows the other figure that I originally set my mind to.
The 12" Gene variant in the color suit - it still shows the pin striping and shirt cuffs…I really want that variant.

I'm gonna mod my Gene a bit further too - he doesn't stand very well because his ankles don't have enough resistance to position him for balance. He falls over way to easy.

I can totally understand why FTC did a head swap from 12" Gene to 8" Gene. The lower row of teeth are pretty darn small…it works on the 12" head, but I cannot see anyway they could have properly shrunk this head for the 8" line and made it look right.

noelani72
Dec 26, '13, 12:55 PM

Edit to rotate pics...

CrimsonGhost
Dec 26, '13, 1:08 PM
ARRRGGG!!! I'm digging those Alive outfits!!!

Alright, I've decided to wait and see if the Dressed to Kill figures go for sale loose, but if the 8" Alive look anywhere near as good as the 12", I'll be all over them. The boots look great!! I suppose 8' Gene will have the same sculpt as Dressed to Kill...but that smile would be awesome. I'm pretty sure my friend got a set and I'm going to be at his place this weekend so I'm anxious to check out the heads in person. I might change my opinion completely.

noelani72
Dec 26, '13, 4:39 PM
^^I was wondering that myself…buying them loose. Seems they have every other line available as loose - but I'd thought they were only doing that because sales were so low.
The Retro Mego 12" figs sold out fassst for nostalgia sake….my gut tells me these DTK figs will be popular and could sell out…which if I wait too long will disappoint me.
Farrow's head sculpts will make these sell very well I think.

MEGOMAN
Dec 26, '13, 7:17 PM

Edit to rotate pics...

OK, I"M IN ON THE "ALIVE" FIGURES!!!!!!:drool_y:

mego
Dec 28, '13, 9:08 PM
Thanks for the pics! Since the DTK and forthcoming Alive! figures share the same heads, we might see these things sooner than later. They look pretty good.

MEGOMAN
Dec 28, '13, 11:53 PM
I hope so. FTC needs to concentrate on KISS in their classic concert costumes. Those will grab the attention of KISS and MEGO fans. I'm going to hold out unit the ALIVE figures are released.

noelani72
Dec 29, '13, 6:59 AM
via email, FTC confirmed DTK figs will not be sold loose.

MIB41
Dec 29, '13, 7:50 AM
^^^ I can understand that. Since they're using those figures on the next series, they probably have a smaller run for the suits. Of course, it's like anything though, if they don't sell well enough, they most definitely could make it to the discount chamber. Never say never. But after seeing other sites heavily discount KISS figures carded (even lower than CTVT loose prices) there's plenty of good reason to hold out for a better price. I love what FTC is doing, but there's also a saturation effect taking place. It's going to be hard for them to sustain $70.00 & $80.00 prices on figures that consistantly sell for 50% to 60% below retail after six months. I have every incentive to wait on the 12 inch variety. If they were more price competitive, I would give them the business directly, but I can't justify those prices. There's too much out there I want that the same money can buy for considerably more product.

CrimsonGhost
Dec 29, '13, 2:31 PM

I'd say that too if I wanted people to pay full price for them! LOL!

They probably made less now that they know what the market will bear. I don't really want to pay full price for DTK however. I guess I'll wait to see how Alive! turns out.

ZebMayonaise
Dec 30, '13, 12:54 PM
Can anyone who has purchased the 8" DTK Kiss figures comment on the bodies? Have they been fixed or do they still look all crooked and have a hard time standing up? I'm curious about this. Thanks!

samurainoir
Jan 2, '14, 10:38 AM
photo of the Figures Toy co head w/ his Kiss figure as a child!

http://figurestoycompany.com/images/Photo_KISS_Figure.jpg

noelani72
Jan 2, '14, 10:55 AM
^^ LOL
Proof in the pudding that he's known for over 30 years how their hair was supposed to look and had hands-on experience with Mego quality.

I have to admit, I knew no one as a kid who had anything KISS.
Course, everyone "knew" the four guys with face makeup, but I had no clue I could walk into a store and buy KISS merchandise until somewhere around 1984.

cockyhoskins
Jan 11, '14, 12:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slaZDsRkysA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.johnvarvatos.com/campaigns/kiss?ICID=20140111_vhp_1

cjefferys
Jan 11, '14, 2:09 PM
photo of the Figures Toy co head w/ his Kiss figure as a child!

Great pic. Looks like I wasn't the only one to get a Gene doll for Christmas back in 1978.

MIB41
Jan 11, '14, 5:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slaZDsRkysA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.johnvarvatos.com/campaigns/kiss?ICID=20140111_vhp_1

Awesome video! Now this is more like old KISS for me. That was fun.

CrimsonGhost
May 8, '14, 9:17 AM

Sorry to dust off this thread, but I thought you might be interested to know that CTVT is ALMOST offering these loose. You can order the heads, the suits with bodies, and the suits on their own.

http://www.classictvtoys.com/kisscustomizingitems.aspx
http://www.classictvtoys.com/customsuitsfor8inchfigures.aspx
http://www.classictvtoys.com/customsuitswithbodiesandshoes.aspx

The heads are $6 each or all four for $19. Suits are $10. Suits with bodies are $13.

So all four heads and the four bodies with suits end up being $71 as opposed to $99 or whatever. Or provide your owen bodies (which a lot of people seem to be doing with these) and it's only $60.

You save enough money to go to the movies! But no popcorn....

noelani72
May 8, '14, 11:50 AM
That's pretty cool. Buy the parts and put them on a type s body. Thanks for the heads up.
Since money is tight and I am selective on purchases, I've received the 12" gene, Paul and ace figures as gifts the past few months.

MIB41
May 8, '14, 12:39 PM
Wow. That's too bad for the line. I heard rumors the Alive series may be it for a while. That's a bummer because we missed some real iconic outfits like Destroyer and Dynasty.

boss
May 8, '14, 1:10 PM
Once they start to part out the Alive outfits, I'm in.

madmarva
May 8, '14, 1:14 PM
Yeah, I got the first set, but really wanted Destroyer figures. It was the first album I bought.

CrimsonGhost
May 8, '14, 1:43 PM
It seems they lost momentum with the Sonic Boom and Monster waves. "Dressed to Kill" looked good, despite Genes weird expression, and I think "Alive!" is the best looking wave so far... but it might be too late. I do hope we get a nice 8" Gene before it ends. The best looking Gene is still the first one.