X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 11: Flash-Ahhhh!

Well, the subject of this episode can't really be a surprise to anyone who has listened in the past.

Episode 11 is dedicated to Flash Gordon, not just the (wonderful) file from 1980 but the character itself and our first introductions to him, either from serial or the amazing Filmation animated series.

We delve into the merchandise (and lack therefore of), the fact that we initially bonded over this film, the soundtrack, Get Carter and the singing career of Peter Wyngarde.

Download the Show Here

Listen here

Show Links:

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Chris
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 23, 2009

Ahhh, there it is. I'll give it a listen on Monday.
    If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Figuremod73
      That 80's guy
      • Jul 27, 2011

Really like the Filmation series. The movie I liked when I was younger, but I really dont seem to like it as much now. Its to bad no one has really stepped up and gave us a film worthy of what Raymond original did.

The lack of merchandise makes no sense since Star Wars was so popular with children during this time. Even Popeye was even having renewed popularity because of a live action movie.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Monday back from a 4 day weekend just got a LOT better...

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• torgospizza
          Theocrat of Pan Tang
          • Aug 19, 2010

Can't wait to give it a listen. I'm suspecting it might wind up being my favorite episode yet.

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Yay, got something to listen to this weekend!

Comment

• Red Hulk
              Career Member
              • Dec 19, 2012

Great episode while I remember scant bits of the Filmation cartoon I'm a fan of the movie and the serials.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

When you consider George Lucas originally tried to get the rights to Flash Gordon, failed, and made Star Wars instead, I think it would be amazing if he let Disney take Star Wars, but made Flash Gordon himself now.

Comment

• Vintage Quixotic
                  • Feb 25, 2013

Hey, the link for the custom rocket sled is broken! I wanna see that thing!
                  I just posted this in response to the podcast on FB:

Another great episode, guys! It’s actually only the third I’ve listened to, and I wasn’t previously aware of your respective backgrounds, learning of which increases your cred and my interest.

A couple of random thoughts about this episode:

I like that you point out that Flash wasn’t another Star Wars knock-off. While every other movie of the genre at the time were imitating SW to the hilt, Flash went as far as to even set the Mongo galaxy in the sky, not space (oddly enough, Al Williamson’s art for the comic does depict them in the stars). Plus, the absence of any cutesy robots gives this film an edge of integrity above the plethora of space fantasy offerings that made the years following SW so awesome (although Klytus does resemble a creepy C-3PO)!

A bit of merch that I had was from K-Mart. It was a grey t-shirt with an iron-on of the “Flash” logo identical to the one on the shirts worn by Sam, and of course, Freddie Mercury. Sadly, it was not a ringer tee and it didn’t have a lightening bolt on back, but I wore it out anyway.

It’s also interesting to note the career of Queen at the time. “The Game” was HUGE, still selling by the time Flash hit theaters. Every commercial for the film was sure to mention “Featuring Music by QUEEN!” (which reminds me, another item I had was a promotional cardboard 2’ long 2-sided die-cut Flash Gordon logo that was hung in music stores). Did the experience of doing a soundtrack lead them to the ill-received experimentation of the follow up “Hot Space”, which they practically couldn’t give away? It was a fall from popularity comparable to, but not nearly as profound, as the one KISS was experiencing at the time.

Anyways, I’m gonna start downloading the other eps!
                  Last edited by Vintage Quixotic; Nov 30, '13, 1:51 AM.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Brian, that was one of my all time favorite podcast from you and Jason. I liked it so well, I listen to it twice. I too am a huge fan Sam Jones and Flash Gordon. Just listening to Jason talk about it sounded exactly like my love for the film and how frustrated I was looking for product. Jason reaffirmed what I felt to be true when I first saw both the BBP Mego-style figures and the six-inch line - These lines were done because someone, just like me, wanted some justice done for what they DIDN'T get as a kid. My only regret is the line was not popular enough to produce an eight inch Klytus figure. That would have been amazing. But I loved the extensive character coverage in the six inch line. I will covet those figures forever. Thanks Jason. We're cut from the same cloth my friend. And the influence that film gave artists continues even to this day. When I saw "Thor: Dark World", I most definitely saw someone in the effects department who loved Flash Gordon. Seeing the bright green force-shield effects go up around the Asgard palace while laser blasts shot out from all directions REEKED of Flash Gordon. Later Thor flew one of the ships into the palace which, for me, was another tip of the hat. No one got speared, but the feeling from Flash Gordon was definitely there. Great podcast guys. This should be essential listening for anyone who is a Flash Gordon fan. Very entertaining.
                    Last edited by MIB41; Dec 1, '13, 7:57 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Great show guys. I somehow missed Flash in theaters, but soon found him on TV and recall asking the DJ at our junior prom to play the Flash theme. This was 1992, but somehow, he had it...and played it! Me and my friend were probably the only two who wanted to hear it, but I didn't care.

I still watch my first release Flash DVD from time to time, and listen to the soundtrack often. Totally agree with Jason on "The Hero". That is everything that is epic and awesome about Queen AND Flash Gordon all rolled into one song. I sometimes just listen to it in a loop, it's so damn good.

I vaguely recall the Filmation series. It must have aired opposite something I was watching at the time. I tended to stay on ABC or CBS back in those days, it seems, thanks to Super Friends and Batman/Tarzan Super 7. I still kick myself for not picking up the DVDs when they were clearing them out at Half-Price Books years ago. Sigh.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MIB41
                        When I saw "Thor: Dark World", I most definitely saw someone in the effects department who loved Flash Gordon. Seeing the bright green force-shield effects go up around the Asgard palace while laser blasts shot out from all directions REEKED of Flash Gordon. Later Thor flew one of the ships into the palace which, for me, was another tip of the hat. No one got speared, but the feeling from Flash Gordon was definitely there. Great podcast guys. This should be essential listening for anyone who is a Flash Gordon fan. Very entertaining.
                        Thanks first off, I'm glad to hear it was enjoyed and wow, you're totally right about the Thor thing and I totally missed it!
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Loved this episode. Boy, do I feel stupid for only picking up the 14 episode disc of the Flash cartoon, now that the complete series is out of print.

You guys are so right... there is nothing like Flash Gordon. Although, it does draw a little bit from Barbarella I think. Mostly the European tone and the painterly liquid skies and colorful production design.

I really appreciated Jason pointing out that although it's camp and silly in parts, it can also at times have much more gravity, like in the Ming speaking to Flash scene.

Of course the music is unforgettable, but one facet that gets overlooked is the fact that it really has TWO scores. The Queen music, and the orchestral score by Howard Blake. If you don't have this, I highly recommend picking it up.

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack...donamityville/

It's a really bold score. Exciting, dark and moody, never dull. Sometimes a bit Bond-like. You also see how many of the themes got integrated into the Queen score. Really a great collaboration.

Howard Blake is perhaps most famous for his moody score to The Snowman. I swear, I can hear Princess Aura's Theme in here:

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

listening to this right now

going to put on the highlander soundtrack next.
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

"Stop all engines! Repel boarders!" Da-na-na-na nah! Da-na-na-na nah!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎