Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open vintage Star Trek Megos or buy EMCE?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cardbuff
    • Dec 16, 2007

Open vintage Star Trek Megos or buy EMCE?

I recently got the EMCE Andorian and Romulan figures, they're open and displayed. Totally missed out on the Klingon. Anyway, I have mint vintage Kirk, Spock and McCoy figures on carefully opened cards - I displayed them when I bought them 30 years ago, and they've been away for years now. Never opened the Klingon, Scottie or Uhura back then because I didn't have room to put them out. Now, I'm getting the fever again, and want more out.

So, my question is, is it better to go find a Klingon repro than to open a sealed Mego I already have? Same question applies for Scottie and Uhura.

Opinions?
  • ZICA
    Persistent Member
    • May 7, 2006

As nice as the EMCE Trek repros are I'm planning on opening my carded originals to display, mainly because they're the ones I had as a kid. I purposely bought some originals on beater cards just so I wouldn't feel guilty about opening them. If the originals you have that are still sealed are on really nice packaging you might want to go with the EMCE versions for opening to display. Maybe you could display a loose EMCE figure next to a sealed original.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

Man I would'nt open a vintage one just to display it,I say go with the EMCE's for that.They're pretty cheap anyway
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• megocrazy
        Museum Trouble Maker
        • Feb 18, 2007

I would look for someone that has a mint loose figure and work a trade. You'll get your loose figure and whatever extra you can get in the deal.
        It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• jds1911a1
          Alan Scott is the best GL
          • Aug 8, 2007

I know this will make some here gasp BUT I say go for it and enjoy opening them. I love the emce's and if the deabte was loose vintage vs opening EMCE i would open emce too but sealed mego clams doesn't have the joy or ripping a blister

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

So, my question is, is it better to go find a Klingon repro than to open a sealed Mego I already have?

For a Klingon, i'd say it doesn't matter ........
            Both repro and original are worth about the same

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Since EMCE is releasing all the vintage figures, I say get those and open 'em all up in stead of opening 30 year old figures, even if it's a common figure
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• livnxxxl
                Megoholic RocketScientist
                • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by Meule
                Since EMCE is releasing all the vintage figures, I say get those and open 'em all up in stead of opening 30 year old figures, even if it's a common figure
                I to believe that would be the smartest thing to do. After all the figures look identical because they were made from the same type molds. Unless of course you would just like to open your vintage carded figures up and make mine and other collectors carded figures worth more with one more carded package out of the market way. Either way works for me. It is a no lose situation for me. Do whatever makes you happy. Just don't do something that you think that you may regret years from now.
                Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Cardbuff
                  • Dec 16, 2007

Originally posted by type1kirk
                  So, my question is, is it better to go find a Klingon repro than to open a sealed Mego I already have?

For a Klingon, i'd say it doesn't matter ........
                  Both repro and original are worth about the same
                  Wow, I had no idea that the original Klingon was that low. Maybe I will open my old extra then, since I missed the EMCE one when it came out.

With Scottie and Uhura, I've decided not to open my sealed ones. I'll either pick up loose originals or EMCE.

Comment

• megonaught
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 29, 2008

i think all toys should be released from their plastic prisons.
                    Action Jackson is his name.
                    Bold adventure is his game.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                      • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by megonaught
                      i think all toys should be released from their plastic prisons.
                      I would hope that more would do just that. This would make my carded figures worth a lot more then.

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 10, 2006

All the EMCE STAR TREK figures are aviable on doc mego's web site for 17.99 each plus shipping

Comment

• Cardbuff
                          • Dec 16, 2007

Call me "Warden" I guess!!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

I still think action figures should be allowed to experience "action", if you know what I mean. What's the point of articulation if you can't articulate? How would ToyFare Theatre look like if all figures were still carded?

You can take it too far, of course. There's a group here in Europe that takes garden gnomes from people's yards and "releases them back into the wild" in a forest. Now that is silly. You should teach them to hunt and forage first....
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• livnxxxl
                              • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                              I still think action figures should be allowed to experience "action", if you know what I mean. What's the point of articulation if you can't articulate? How would ToyFare Theatre look like if all figures were still carded?

You can take it too far, of course. There's a group here in Europe that takes garden gnomes from people's yards and "releases them back into the wild" in a forest. Now that is silly. You should teach them to hunt and forage first....
                              This is why one is smart to purchase multiples of each figure. One that is loose and one that is carded. Ahh. The best of both worlds!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎