• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wise4671
    Banned
    • Aug 11, 2007

My take on the Retro Batman line so far

Hey Gang,
    I got mine in today. And while I won't be taking them out of the packages I can give you some insight as to how these compare to the originals.
    So here we go:

First off here is what I found on the porch:

Lots of Packing Peanuts Very Well Packaged:

A Little Digging and There is the site I have been wanting to see

Now lets get down to it:
    The Clamshell is way smaller in size compared to the Kiss figures (Big plus in my book)
    The Bubbles are rapped in a cling wrap to prevent scratches during shipping (Like I said before Very well packaged)
    Also I really dig the artwork on the cards gives them that nostalgic feel

Here is some pics:

Ok so now that I am all cheesy over getting these its time to compare them with the real thing:

Batman:
    Head is the exact mold but is a bit smaller then the original
    Belt is pretty spot on but the new one has a glare to the plastic where the original is flat Also if you look at the top of the new belt the Buckle it is even with the belt line where as the Original sticks up over the Belt line (That will be the big tell as to knowing the Original from the New one)
    The emblem is a silkscreen and reminds me or the one used on the DC Retro hero's the extra one looks like it would last.
    The Gloves and boots are a much darker blue and there is no waffle on these gloves
    The Cape is really close to the same material Mego used but it is a little lighter in color then the Original
    The Body suit is a Lighter Grey and is made out of a more Nylon looking material and has a shine to it.

Robin:
    Head is the Exact Mold but Like Batman smaller then the Original (Looks like the eyes are painted smaller then the Originals)
    The Belt is a Lighter more Translucent color Yellow and looks a little wider then the Original
    The Emblem is Silkscreened like Batmans but since it is smaller I think it will hold up quiet well.
    Gloves and Shoes look pretty close to the originals
    Looks like the snap on the tunic is round instead of square the green on the tunic and shorts are a little darker then the originals but they are really close. The shorts and sleeves are made out of the same type Nylon material as Batmans suit so there is that glossy shine.

Riddler:
    Head is the same Mold as the Original but is very noticeably smaller
    The Belt is the same as Batmans with one side of the belt buckle lineing up with the belt line
    The suit is made from the same Nylon as the others and is really Shinny
    The hands are a more dark purple the the Origianls and look exactly like the belt

Joker:
    Jokers Head is Pretty much Spot on
    Jacket is a little darker purple and darker green with material that is very close to being original
    His Suit is made of the same material as the others and has a shine to it but looks Great
    His shoes are spot on just a little darker brown then the Originals
    He is for sure the closest to being the real deal out of the 4

I also Got one of the carrying cases and MAN this thing is AWESOME it is made really sturdy it holds 12 figures and has room for storage if you didn't get one order one you will not be disappointed.

All in all Figures Toy Co. KNOCKED it out of the park with these. This is exactly what we have all been waiting for. And I for one am glade they took there time and delayed these if that is what it took to get them done as well as they did.

Great Job all the way around and I can not wait for Series 2 to come out (unless you need a little more time to get them done as well as you did these )
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Great pics - you get the prize!

Comment

• Wise4671
      Banned
      • Aug 11, 2007

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
      Great pics - you get the prize!
      WOOOHOOO what do I get :-)

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wise4671
        WOOOHOOO what do I get :-)
        Empty pantyhose eggs!
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wise4671
          Banned
          • Aug 11, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
          Empty pantyhose eggs!
          Woohoo those will be usefull when the 66 line Egghead comes out :-)

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

Somebody better take these things off the card and let us know how the bodies are! Stand me up and pose em!!
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Wise4671
              Banned
              • Aug 11, 2007

Originally posted by MegoScott
              Somebody better take these things off the card and let us know how the bodies are! Stand me up and pose em!!
              someone did :-)
              The folks at Figures Toy Co. have production samples in hand and expect to meet the posted delivery dates for the upcoming Batman Retro Series 1. It would be great to examine these up close, but for now pictures will work. There are some subtle and not-so-subtle design differences between these and their Mego forefathers…

Comment

• boss
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 18, 2003

dumb question... but why did you get a carry case if you're going to keep them in the package?
                Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Wise4671
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11, 2007

Originally posted by boss
                  dumb question... but why did you get a carry case if you're going to keep them in the package?
                  In case I buy more and decide to open a set of them :-)

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks for the pics! I shouldn't be tempted by these...but I am!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• rlkrefft
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 14, 2010

I pretty much agree with everything said in this review. The figures do look great. For me though, the bodies are not as good as the original Mego bodies. I find them harder to bend, and pose. And each figure seems to have a side they like to lean towards when standing vanilla posed. I'm waiting to see how other people feel about the bodies when they open them. It's really my only complaint on these. If I could switch them to new bodies they'd probably be better than the old Mego figures. They look really good, until you try to play with them. Maybe I just got a very stiff set? I don't know.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

I'm liking the dark blues and greens. I'm waiting, but its tempting. I wonder what the chances are of lose figures like they did Kiss later on?

Comment

• Figuremod73
                          That 80's guy
                          • Jul 27, 2011

Heres his pics of Batman and Robin adjusted for better viewing.

Comment

• Wise4671
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            Thanks for the pics! I shouldn't be tempted by these...but I am!

Chris
                            I think you will be upset with yourself if you don't get at least one set of these. Heck I have them and am really considering getting a case. :-)

Comment

• Wise4671
                              Banned
                              • Aug 11, 2007

Originally posted by rlkrefft
                              I pretty much agree with everything said in this review. The figures do look great. For me though, the bodies are not as good as the original Mego bodies. I find them harder to bend, and pose. And each figure seems to have a side they like to lean towards when standing vanilla posed. I'm waiting to see how other people feel about the bodies when they open them. It's really my only complaint on these. If I could switch them to new bodies they'd probably be better than the old Mego figures. They look really good, until you try to play with them. Maybe I just got a very stiff set? I don't know.
                              Im just wondering if this is something that may fix itself with play wear kind of like the original type 1 bodies on Megos remember how when they were new they would tend to want to do the splits but in time they kind of straightend out as we played with them.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎