Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nostalgia aside, what's your vote for greatest superhero toyine ever?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Nostalgia aside, what's your vote for greatest superhero toyine ever?

I know we all love our Megos here, but if you really had to pick the greatest single line of superhero toys EVER based on size, sculpt, character selection, playability, and fun factor...what would it be?

Ideal Captain Action
    Mego WGSH
    Mego Comic Action Heroes
    Mattel Secret Wars
    Kenner Super Powers
    Kenner 5" Dark Knight Collection, Batman Movies, Batman TAS, Swamp Thing, etc.
    Toy Biz 5" X-Men, Spider-Man, FF, Iron Man, Ghost Rider, Hulk, etc.
    Toy Biz Famous Covers
    Hasbro Signature Series
    Mattel DC Universe Classics
    Toy Biz/Hasbro Marvel Legends
    DC Direct
    Marvel Select
    Mattel Retro-Action
    Mattel Movie Masters
    Hasbro Marvel Universe
    Hot Toys

If I had to pick just one, I'd have to go with Kenner Super Powers. I love their size, the sculpts and paint are incredible, the power action features are tons of fun and completely hidden, and you get a mini comic.
    They're just amazing...and that's saying a lot coming from a die hard Marvel guy.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

WGSH and Comic Action will always be my favourite just cause but I have to say Superpowers are brilliant toys. I think they outclass modern toys.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

As much as I love all of Megos output, I'd have to go with Super Powers as well. The sculpts still hold up today, and the Batmobile is the best version of that ever made in toy form. The Hall of Justice is tied with Castle Grayskull as the greatest playset of all time for me.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Megos...'nuff said.
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Marvelmania
          A Ray of Sunshine
          • Jun 17, 2001

Mego 8"
          Mego CAH
          Maybe not a true superhero toy line but anything Superhero related by Ahi

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Super Powers. Nothing since has matched it.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

you forgot JLU
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Boywonder0
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 29, 2007

Mego WGSH

Ideal Captain Action

Hasbro Signature Series - All DC 9" Figures... Very underestimated & underrated but they had the best DC hero head sculpts, best hero bodies and superb articulation. The only thing that holds them from perfection is that they don't have REMOVABLE costumes, gloves and boots like Captain Action or Megos...

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I'd hafta go with the 8" Mego.... even if Mego themselves didn't last long enough to take the format where they could. They're just big enough that you can have them super-posable, and give them lots of accessories.... but small enough you can play with them anywhere, and make vehicles and playsets.

Don C.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

I love Mego, & WGSH as Megos. But I'd have to go with Super Powers: they are terrific, and (considering prototypes) I wish they had continued a bit longer.

Kenner B: TAS is great, too, but I'd choose DCUC as a runner-up.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                      That 80's guy
                      • Jul 27, 2011

Superpowers. The scale was perfect for play and I liked the action feature. The toybiz line was pretty good to. (even if it didnt have the quality)

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        you forgot JLU
                        I tried to like them but I never really never got into JLU. They ended up making a lot of figures. But quality wise I feel they are far below Super Powers. Most of the JL/JLU figures can't even stand.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

Mego. Hands down.
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• jimsmegos
                            Mego Dork
                            • Nov 9, 2008

Great question. After thinking pretty hard about it I have to say Super Powers with the main reasons being the cartoon / comic looks and colors as well as the ability to have accessories. Mego's T2 WGSH are most certainly the solid #2 though. Every other line IMO went to far with the sculpting.They look great but too statuesque for my TOY taste.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Hands down Megos. They revolutionized how kids from my era regarded playtime. Plus they jumped into so many varied licenses it caused other companies to imitate them and open up even more licenses. Need I add their very concept encouraged customizing? 'Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎