• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

meet Darth Vader at Walmart

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

That's pretty wild...I was one of Wal-Mart's official Darth Vaders back in 1997 for the special edition trilogy. Luckily it was in January and colder than hell or I would have died in that getup. It was miserable.
    They had me set up in the toy dept. and kids would get their Polaroids taken for $5 apiece. I got paid a flat $300 for two days.
    I got the job because I'm 6'4" and at the time was 275 lbs of muscle. (unlike now) LOL.
    I had fun though...how many people get a chance to play Darth Vader?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

That's interesting. We haven't seen a lot of 70s ad material from Wal-Mart. It's like they just popped up in the 80s, even though I know they started in the 50s, I believe?

I also like the text about the official 20th Century Fox Corp Darth Vader costume...as opposed to the home-made ones seen in many Plaid Stalllion posts!
      sigpic

Comment

• Chris
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
        That's pretty wild...I was one of Wal-Mart's official Darth Vaders back in 1997 for the special edition trilogy. Luckily it was in January and colder than hell or I would have died in that getup. It was miserable.
        They had me set up in the toy dept. and kids would get their Polaroids taken for $5 apiece. I got paid a flat $300 for two days.
        I got the job because I'm 6'4" and at the time was 275 lbs of muscle. (unlike now) LOL.
        What!?! That is too cool. I did not know.
        If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I have a Vader suit that spends most of its time on a mannequin. I'm in the process of making it more wearable so I can troop in it. But yes, it is a very uncomfortable costume to wear. Heavy as all get out.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

very cool..love the ad
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Gorn Captain
              Invincible Ironing Man
              • Feb 28, 2008

How many annoying kids did you Force choke?
              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                How many annoying kids did you Force choke?
                LOL. Actually the little kids were fine, it was the teenagers that were jerks. They would walk up and smack the helmet, or tug on the cape, stuff like that. The thing that amazed me was that these little kids weren't afraid of Darth Vader at all. I even had one little girl that clung to my leg and kept telling me she loved me.
                Oh, and you wouldn't believe how many senior citizens think his name is "Dark Invader"

Comment

• LadyZod
                  Superman's Gal Pal
                  • Jan 27, 2007

Dark Invader!

YES!

I want that bootleg toy!
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                  Check out my art:
                  Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                  Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Oh, and you wouldn't believe how many senior citizens think his name is "Dark Invader"
                    Maybe they thought you were selling a new brand of suppository?
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 30, 2012

I dressed up as Vader a couple of weeks ago for a Harvest Festival on Halloween in downtown Bremerton. Had a great time high fiving kids and even posed for a couple photos. My suit was pretty basic, but the younglings seem to have gotten a kick.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎