• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Colouring Book Theatre: The Empire Strikes Back

The Empire Strikes Back

I found this book rummaging around in Comic Alley Toys a while back, I never had any of the colouring books past the Star Wars one I reviewed here so it was all new to me.

The thing I most remember about Star Wars colouring books was the proof of purchase logo on the bottom. I plotted at one point to turn it in for my Boba Fett offer but I worried that the Kenner police would see my grand deception and cut me off of figures for life.

Years later, my podcast partner Jason told me he did this all the time as a kid and the Kenner police were none the wiser...

Let's take a look at this after the jump...

Unlike the Star Wars ones, the Empire book has a clean, consistent style. Did I mention 95% of this book is horribly coloured? The people at the shop probably debated throwing this out but then some idiot bought it.

Bossk! I loved him as a kid, not a single line and his appearance in the film is a mere cameo but there's probably hundreds of websites devoted to this guy.

Speaking of cameos, I nominate Boba Fett as "most popular character ever with smallest amount of screen time"

I think what the artist is trying to convey here is Darth Vaders' head really smells.

Lando has blue hair and a silver face in this child's interpretation of Star Wars.

Get down from there! You'll kill yourself

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

I really enjoy seeing these coloring books. Thanks for sharing.

If I ever get to my green trunk, I have a whole bag of old coloring books (including this one) that I'd love to scan and share.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• piecemaker
      There's no need to fear..
      • Jan 26, 2009

Nice! This one has some great drawings.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

It's a little known fact that before Kenner scrubbed the rocket-firing Boba Fett, they squashed a previously pitched flame-throwing version, seen here.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

One of the nicer drawings of Leia I've seen. Her likeness seemed to be challenging for artists at the time.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^Carrie Fisher is a lot like young Shatner and Chris Reeve; their faces are almost too perfect, there is nothing distinguishable to key in on.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• JWLJN
              Veteran Member
              • May 7, 2013

I remember one coloring book from the ESB series that had a page that to me, as a kid, looked like a wedding on Cloud City. It was probably just supposed to represent random denizens of Bespin, but I was totally convinced that it was a wedding.

-J\/\/
              http://wrestlingmemorabilia.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/JWsWrestlingMemorabilia

Comment

• piecemaker
                • Jan 26, 2009

Coloring is so much easier these days.
                [img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-JcgWVf2/0/L/i-JcgWVf2-L.jpg[/img]

Comment

• toys2cool
                  Ultimate Mego Warrior
                  • Nov 27, 2006

I use to have the one with Luke on the cover from ROTJ..I loved that book
                  "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                  My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• spacecaps
                    Second Mouse
                    • Aug 24, 2011

I have several ESB and ROTJ books that I and my cousins colored in as a kid. Now my son colors in them. Two generations in one book over 30 years is a pretty good life for a coloring book. I also think it's awesome that my 7 year old son is coloring in pictures next to pictures I colored in when I was 7!
                    "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• piecemaker
                      • Jan 26, 2009

Coloring was and still is Fun.
                      [img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-LLxBr3P/0/XL/i-LLxBr3P-XL.jpg[/img]

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

I still have my copy of that very book. For a while, there was a crew of 3 or 4 boys in 2nd grade who were all bringing their Empire coloring books too school. It was the cool thing to do.

Comment

• Red Hulk
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 19, 2012

I have one of these in my basement with some king size GIJOE ones.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎