X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Space Master 2002: A Rack Toy Quest

Above is the Space Master 2002, my dad sold these in 1977-1978. I remembered everything about these fun toys, how they looked, that card art with the skimpy lady, everything.

Except the name.

For years, I've tried everything but searching for "Spaceship" on ebay is well, a long day. I had kind of resolved to just keep my eyes open at toy shows and antique malls and hope for the best. What happened next I was totally unprepared for.

My son asked me to help him find some gaming cards, so we went from shop to shop each time having no luck. I'm one for a quest, so i suggested a used bookstore on the other side of town. It was a long shot, it looks like the last time they got new comics in Superman was dead, but whats the harm?

As we wondered around, there it was, sitting next to paperbacks and unsold Gen 13 merchandise. My brain processed it and i immediately snatched it and held it close, like i had competition. I paid immediately, I didn't care what the price was (it was dirt cheap, I'm the one guy who'd have paid far more).

That's one of the things I love about collecting, this inexpensive toy is relatively meaningless to most but it meant the world for me to find and that little bit of kismet made my month. So much so, that I didn't complain when I had to drive an hour into the city to get my son those darn gaming cards.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

That's so cool! Congrats on finding it.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Happy that you finally got your "rosebud". 8)
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

What a great story. Yes, that is the essence of our madness, and why we do what we do. Congrats!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• ubermanx
          Career Member
          • Jul 3, 2013

Very cool. Always great to hear about moments like these.

Unfortunately it's 2013 let alone 2002 and I have neither a cool space ship to drive nor are there skimmpy women running ... wait ... nevermind ... wife is dressed for yoga. I guess 1 out of 2 future predictions ain't bad

Cheers,

Marty

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Great story, and oh man, I had one of those spaceships when I was a kid! I have no recollection of that card art (I probably threw it away immediately) but I distinctly remember that toy design, the folding wings, the missile launchers, etc (except I think mine was yellow not blue). I bought it for a buck or so at the local five and dime store back in the late 70's.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 12, 2004

Tracking down really obscure, generic, no name brand rack toys is a challenge.

It took me years to finally stumble upon one of my minor grails.

Early 70's. They were made of pliable plastic. They opened like a clam shell and had a parachute attached. You would fold the parachute and enclose it inside the clam shell saucer. Toss it in the air, the saucer opens, and the parachute would deploy. I remember having a purple one.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

It's great when you can find that one obscure piece that makes you think you imagined the whole thing. Congrats, Brian.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

You have to wonder if your body language betrayed your hidden excitement, giving the shopowner the perception that perhaps he just gave away a valuable rarity.

Nice find!

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

AAAHHHH!!!!!

I've been looking for those FOREVER! I had a bunch as a kid; there's a green, yellow and red one too. The forward parts are different on them too. Instead of shark fins, there's round jumbo jet engines, and one with nothing too. I totally loved 'em. I used to get them from Macks Milk. The one by my house.... next to the Big-V.... where I'd get "Battle of the Planets" activity books, and those "Monster Colouring Books" that I'm trying desperately to amass.

Don C.

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

That's a great story and a great find! I'm also glad you found it cheap. I feel like finding it cheap helps maintain some of the original charm and mystique the toy holds in your memory. It's still rack-pure .
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Chris
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 23, 2009

Great story. It couldn't happen to a nicer fella. Great card art too! If you think of it this would make for a great podcast story.
                        If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• MysteryWho
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 16, 2008

2002 "M.O."? Were the makers of the packaging that visionary to suggest that in the far flung future we would change the way we refer to our eras? This did sort of happen with AD/BC becoming CE/BCE but what could the MO stand for?

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MysteryWho
                            2002 "M.O."? Were the makers of the packaging that visionary to suggest that in the far flung future we would change the way we refer to our eras? This did sort of happen with AD/BC becoming CE/BCE but what could the MO stand for?

You tell me, I've been wondering that myself.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Cool!
                              I had that blue one as a kid. Always loved the "star shark" aspect of it.
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎