X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Quick Curl Barbie, Mod Hair Ken commercial

Good news, I stumbled on some more toy commercial reels and after years of sitting on my desk, I had them converted. First up is a little something for the ladies in the form of this early commercial. Here is a link if you can't see the embed code.

I love how putting side burns on Ken makes him noble but a moustache means bad guy. You'll be hearing from my brothers at the anti-facial hair defamation league Mattel! The AFHD doesn't think kindly of unfair stereotypes!

More good news is that I'll soon be adding all these new commercials to my existing toy commercial DVDs, so they'll just be a bonus so to speak. I'll debut another in the coming weeks, trust me it's a good one.For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Neat. Thank you for sharing. Nice to see vintage girls toys getting some attention.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

I had Quick Curl Kelley as a kid. Could you find the commercial for that one? "Now meet Barbie's friend, Quick Curl Kelley."
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Rallygirl
        Kitsch rules!
        • May 31, 2008

I still have my Mod Hair Ken doll. He is packed safely away with Pretty Changes Barbie.
        sigpic

Comment

• JediJaida
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 14, 2008

Watched it. Ken looks cheesy with the sideburns and mustache.
          JediJaida

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

I love watching these! The clothes, the graphics, even the voiceover actors sometimes take me back.

One thing that always bothered me was whatever they did with the Mego narrator voice. At first, I thought it was just some kind of distortion that happened over time (when I heard them as an adult, I actually don't remember seeing my beloved Megos on TV when I was a kid). I think that may be true, but it seems they did do some strange altering to give more bass.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Did that Web-Spinning Spider-Man really work that well? If so, man, I would have killed for that as a kid...and my mom would have probably killed ME for getting that goop all over the house.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• bettyrocker01
                • Jun 11, 2008

Love it. The Quick Curl barbie series is one of my personal favs (always on the lookout for Quick Curl Cara and Barbie with the seed beads still in her hair) tghanks for posting that. And lmao @ "bad" Ken (in his leisure suit no less) throwing Barbie over his shoulder.
                Last edited by bettyrocker01; Nov 5, '13, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• LadyZod
                  Superman's Gal Pal
                  • Jan 27, 2007

I love the fact that the mustache makes Ken a villain, but the sideburns, well THAT's the mark of a hero.

And is it just me, but I see Mod Ken and think "News Anchor"
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                  Check out my art:
                  Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                  Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• Chris
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 23, 2009

Please push the dvd on your podcast!
                    If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 1, 2005

I owned both Mod Hair Ken and Sport & Shave Ken when I was a kid. I thought they were pretty cool at the time. I think eventually I had Mod Hair Ken be the band manager for my KISS Megos

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

That's pretty funny! (still laughing!)

Originally posted by nvmbrsdoom5
                        I owned both Mod Hair Ken and Sport & Shave Ken when I was a kid. I thought they were pretty cool at the time. I think eventually I had Mod Hair Ken be the band manager for my KISS Megos
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by nvmbrsdoom5
                          I thought I was the only boy who had a Ken as a kid. I was trying to fit in with my older sister, it didn't work or last very long.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                            I thought I was the only boy who had a Ken as a kid.
                            I'm sure a lot of boys did. Ken was marketed as more of an action doll then and had lots of sports equipment.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 1, 2005

I was an only child and my cousins were all girls who were obsessed with Barbie. They had no interest in my WGSH figures or Joes, so I had to get some Ken dolls in order to be allowed to play *shrug* But I won't pretend I didn't like the toys, I genuinely did and had alot of fun playing dolls with my cousins. I also happily owned a Donny Osmond doll, haha! Now and then I tried to get them to let Bulletman in on the fun but they just weren't having it *sigh*.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎