X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Imperial Monsters

I have to admit that I've never warmed to the Imperial Monster figures, they came out when I was a teenager and I was spoiled by what came earlier. Since then, I've met several people who owed their adult monster love to these very figures, plus this display box is pretty swell, so I thought I'd feature it today.

While I find the sculpting on the figures crude, thumbs up to this wonderful displayer art.

I bought this piece to feature it in Rack Toys but unfortunately it got cut for space, maybe it'll make it into volume 2 someday.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, that box is a beaut! I remember passing these up at TRU for years, due to the gangly arms and sticky paint jobs. But in hindsight, the Wolfman is really nice...and they made Klaris (not Kharis) from Abbott & Costello Meet The Mummy. How cool (and weird!) is that?!?

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

The box is better than the toys. I have all but Frankie, and I'm always considering selling them. Somehow, they're just too... stocky or something.

Comment

• vintage spideyfan
        Web Wobbler
        • May 12, 2007

That display box is amazing. I still have my original childhood set and remember being disappointed with the sculpts, especially Frankenstein. I recently picked up a carded example of their Latin American counterpart, the "Amigos del Terror"...

Looking for MOC Pocket Super Heroes...
        Good Trader List

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
          The box is better than the toys. I have all but Frankie, and I'm always considering selling them. Somehow, they're just too... stocky or something.
          Yeah the blockiness really bothered me, it didn't seem like a style choice either, just "meh, this will do".
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

What years were these made?
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Mid eighties, they hung around until the mid nineties here.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Falstaff13
                Persistent Member
                • May 28, 2008

I have a vague memory of these. I know Imperial has long been a rack toy maker, but I feel like some of their action figure lines suffered from delayed timing. Their monsters were just a few years after the 1970s push (and early 1980s with the Remco mini-figs), and they put out "Legends of the Wild West," that never to me lived up to Excel/Empire's "Legends of the West" in the early 1990s, definitely after any height for cowboy toys.
                Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I had a set of those for ages but actually donated them several years ago. They are just so ugly and not in a cool way either. Ugly in they are just so poorly done and clearly didn't care.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• raycastile
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Sep 11, 2004

I like the Imperials. One of these days I'm going to get a display box.

I remember buying a Dracula at Toys R Us circa 1990. I took it to the checkout lane where there was a mom and little boy ahead of me. The boy got very excited when he saw the Dracula. He explained to his mom that the character was not just Dracula, but Count Dracula. It was very important that we understood he was a count, not just some garden variety vampire. I was surprised a little kid at that time would be so excited about Count Dracula.

So if there are now collectors saying their monster love started with these toys, I believe it. I would not be surprised if that kid grew up to collect monsters. Strange to think that little boy from my memory is probably 30-ish today.

Comment

• Chris
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      Wow, that box is a beaut!
                      Chris
                      Agreed.
                      If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

The figures are truly stinky, but that's a nice looking box.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎