Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PodStallions Episode 10: Glows in the Dark (Monster Toys)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

PodStallions Episode 10: Glows in the Dark (Monster Toys)

Our second October episode, Jason and Brain try to cram in as many monster toys as they can into an hour and a half.

Aurora model kits, Marvel comics, action figures by Tomland, Remco and Lincoln International get discussed as does Cracked magazine, Power Records, the number of times we rented "LifeForce" on VHS (I've never seen the end)

As usual, the topic tends to veer off into a disscussion first experiences with theatre jumping (with first movie nudity) and Lee Marvin fishing, it may look like those pieces fit together but they do, they do.....

Download the Show Here

Listen here

Show Links:

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah! Friday is saved once more!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Wow! Two in one month. That's awesome.
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Awesome, I've been waiting for this one!

the number of times we rented "LifeForce" on VHS (I've never seen the end)
        You ain't the only one who's never seen the end. Ahh, Mathilda May... *sigh*

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

That was a lot of fun! I recently learned of this "Lifeforce" movie. How it evaded the viewing of me and my post-pubescent friends is beyond me.

Marvel's real reason for pushing all the monster and horror comics was the lifting of some very stringent restrictions by the Comics Code Authority. Previously, vampires, werewolves and zombies were verboten. Stan smelled money, and voila, tons of monster comics. Tomb of Dracula is a great read. I have two of the Essential volumes, and need to finish up with the third and last.

On a similar note, much of Power Records' comic art was provided by Neal Adams and/or his Continuity Studios (including at one time or another Dick Giordano, Frank McLaughlin and Rich Buckler). The Marvel material was mostly reprinted straight from the comics, including the Spidey/Man-Wolf tale, which was Gil Kane and John Romita. Of course, for some real info on Power Records, just ask Rob Kelly, or visit his blog (but I think he's probably the friend you were referring to).

I think the Vampirella figure Jason was referring too WAS the model. I seem to recall Aurora (or at least Warren's Captain Company arm) playing a bit fast and loose with the term "action figure" with the line of Monster Scenes.

I had a friend who had not only the Remco Mini-Monsters, but also Gre-Gory. That thing was HEAVY. He seemed to be made from heavy rubber and weigh a metric ton. You could kill hobos with that thing. He was like an upscale Halloween rubber bat with the whole transparent chest/pumping blood gimmick. This same friend also had the FunStuf inflatable Dracula. He was a late Monster Kid I guess!

Thanks for the Friday fun! I look forward to what you have cooked up next month!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

thanks for listening Chris!

i figured Jason was mislead by the Vampirella model (i only wish there was a figure).

As for next month, Jason is working on some neat things. Hopefully they pan out.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

I've been catching up on old Pod Stallions episodes at work this week...Have more loaded up for Monday.
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                • Jan 22, 2008

Every time I listen to a podcast I wish I had a pad and pen to jot down thoughts of things that come up.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Every time I listen to a podcast I wish I had a pad and pen to jot down thoughts of things that come up.
                  I do that! Of course I listen while I'm at work, so pen and paper are handy.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
                    Yeah, I always forget to do that.

Great show as always, gentlemen. So much fun stuff was talked about in this episode, I don't know where to begin.

-I remember gazing at the Famous Monster ads for those AMT giant insect model kids, and the necklace with "real" dirt from Dracula's castle and really wanting them

-I missed it in theatres, but caught Nightmare before X-mas when it first came out on video and instantly fell in love with it. It was sad how Disney almost completely disowned it at first, they refused to have their name on it which is why the original opening credits had Touchstone's name instead. When I first saw it, I just knew that it would end up being a holiday favorite someday and am not surprised at all about the following it ended up having. My four year old daughter loves it, I think it's currently one of her favorites, she's always singing the songs

-Gre-gory is awesome, I remember the comic ads and wanted this guy. Brian may be right about it not getting a Canadian release, I don't remember seeing it in stores either. I've almost bought one online once or twice, but don't know where the heck I'd put the thing Ah, the blood would be dried up anyway...

-I've been wracking my brain trying to remember my "Howling" moment (first time seeing female nudity in a movie). Jenny Agutter in Logans Run was definitely an early one, my dad rented it on videodisc for me and luckily didn't watch it with me (SF was never his thing). Man that scene just came out of nowhere, but I certainly rewound it a few times!

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

Hahah! I can see a new thread title - "What Was Your 'Howling Moment'?"

Great show, fellas. Went by so fast! There's still so much you could discuss. I can see this being an annual themed show.

Comment

• Chris
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 23, 2009

It was wonderful. Thank you for going to the trouble of recording it. Pinning down both Lenzi and Henry can't be easy.
                        If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Thanks for listening guys, really appreciate it. These October episodes are far and away our best shows in terms of listenership. We were happy before but now we're beaming.

I can talk monsters all day, so we'll definitely go back to the well next fall.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Chris
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                            These October episodes are far and away our best shows in terms of listenership. We were happy before but now we're beaming.

I can talk monsters all day, so we'll definitely go back to the well next fall.
                            I'm delighted to read that the show is growing. You both have volumes of knowledge on the subject. There are so many different monster/Halloween avenues to go down you could easily do a couple more 90 minute shows.
                            Last edited by Chris; Oct 30, '13, 4:49 PM.
                            If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• raycastile
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Sep 11, 2004

Listened to it last night after the trick or treaters were finished. Very entertaining! I especially enjoyed hearing abut all the Mattel weirdess. Suckerman was another Mattel oddity from that era,

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎