Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who collected (or still collects) trading cards?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • galaxyexplorer42
    Monsters,Creatures,Aliens
    • Mar 3, 2010

Who collected (or still collects) trading cards?

Don't know if this topic has been covered before, OR if this is the right location for this thread. I didn't wanna post it in the Mego Museum Trading Cards section, cause this is different. Was anyone heavily into trading cards back in the 70's? I was. I loved all of the non-sports cards. If the card set was the official movie trading cards, I probably had them. I still have some sets.... Mostly they were all Topps brand cards. I had a bunch of Sci-Fi related cards, Monster Laughs, Planet of the Apes, Kung Fu, Star Wars...you name it, I probably had them. Even Wacky Packages. I had sports cards, but I was not into those as much as the non-sports.... Did anyone get into trading cards when they were kids?
    Galaxy Explorer
  • Red Hulk
    Career Member
    • Dec 19, 2012

I used to love trading cards as a kid Star Wars,Superman Sports etc.I started collecting again as an adult but gave it up again.I have Impels Marvel sets 1 and 2 and their GI Joe set.

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
      Career Member
      • May 14, 2007

I got into trading cards when I was a kid but they were very hard to find in the local stores. Mostly I picked up the Elvis packs in the 1970s along with a few Superman The Movie and Star Wars cards. The packs were cheap then and didn't eat too much of my comic book money. Never completed a set but came close with the Elvis one. I got heavy into card collecting when the first Batman movie cards came out along with the various card sets from DC Comics and Marvel mostly because all the local stores started carrying them. I even started to trade them via mail. When the cards started to disappear from the stores, my collecting days went downhill too. Now I mainly try to pick up Non-Sports Update when I go on a road trip to the nearest Hastings, which is about every three to six months. I love their promo cards that come with the magazines along with the news and articles. The prices of a pack of cards nowadays seem outrageous (about five dollars for six cards). Needless to say that my card collecting days are pretty much over.
      Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• Mego MkIV
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 9, 2013

I used to collect sports and non sports as a kid I still have my sports locker card case I bought at Kay-Bee with a couple rack packs I saw a Joe Montana rookie card through the cellophane too bad I wasn't smart enough to keep it.My oldest cards I have are 1972 Open-Chee Hocky my uncle gave me.

Comment

• Luke Landwalker
          Museum Super Collector
          • Oct 1, 2008

I had all the movie and tv cards of the 70s

Comment

• Spawn67
            Career Member
            • Aug 14, 2009

I made a post on this a couple weeks ago. This pic is worth reposting..1239411_600935689945403_2002555172_n.jpg

Comment

• galaxyexplorer42
              Monsters,Creatures,Aliens
              • Mar 3, 2010

That's a great pic Spawn67. I had many of those; some I had forgotten about... I may be making a new list & see if I can re-locate & pick up some of these...
              Galaxy Explorer

Comment

• Spawn67
                Career Member
                • Aug 14, 2009

Thanks! Here's my thread from a couple weeks ago..

http://megomuseum.com/community/show...g-Card-Madness!!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I collected a lot of these as well. loved the movie cards. still have quite a lot of them too. Empire series 1 and 2 almost complete, part of series 3. Jedi, Star Trek TMP, Raiders of the lost Arc, V, maybe a few from the early nineties as well. I don't collect them anymore, and have no interest in doing so but there are a lot of memories there

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 25, 2010

You collector's of non-sports tradiong cards need to spend some time looking around this site. It's pretty good. I can't tell you how many checklists i made up with info from there.

Vintage Toy Rescue
                    1614-B N State Hwy 161
                    Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                    (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• FETT1
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 4, 2012

YEP...still collectin the non - sport CARDS ..lov em...
                      LOoKING for TOPPS UGLY STICKERS,ANY MONSTER related (Vintage only),and TV BATMAN-BLACK BAT,RED BAT,BLUE BAT, RIDDLER and vBATMAN TV SHOW CARDS also GREEN HORNET ..any and ALL!

These are sooo coOL with tons of memories!

FETT1
                      if it AIN'T a toy..I DON'T WANT IT !!!

Comment

• Figuremod73
                        That 80's guy
                        • Jul 27, 2011

Originally posted by Spawn67
                        I made a post on this a couple weeks ago. This pic is worth reposting..[ATTACH=CONFIG]8603[/ATTACH]
                        Its amazing how varied and affordable cards use to be. The only card collecting I did back in the '80s was with the Garbage Pail kids but I had a bunch because they were only twenty five cents a pack.

Comment

• Chris
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 23, 2009

I just picked up a complete set of Pulp Art trading cards for $10. I luv 'em. There is a place in Philly that still sells trading cards dirt cheap. He had Keaton Batman for 50 cents a pack wrapped.

I would enjoy having a complete set of SW series 1 again from Topps.

Rittenhouse cards used to be up the street from me but I didn't know at the time. I think they moved to Plymouth Meeting.
                          If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
                            Supporter of Silliness
                            • Jun 20, 2007

As a kid, I collected Star Wars cards. Mostly just the blue and red series. I couldn't justify spending all my allowance money on the later yellow, green, and orange series when there were so many other awesome things to be spending it on. One of my friends gave me a ton of his KISS trading cards, but I never actively collected them. I did have quite a collection of baseball and football cards from about 1978-1983 or so. I unloaded most of them before the bottom fell out by trading for vintage X-Men and Spiderman comics back in around 1986 or 1987.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                              • Apr 3, 2007

I have a shoebox full of trading cards, (some in the package, but most in individual baggies). I have Mego Museum cards, Star Trek, Star Trek TNG, Partridge Family, POTA, ET, Wacky Packages, Michael Jackson, SMDM, Saved By The Bell, Beverly Hills 90210, Charlie's Angels and others.
                              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎