X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Costume Spotlight: Calibos

Today's costume spotlight is a personal favourite, Calibos, the twisted demi God from Clash of the Titans.

When Clash came out I was ten years old, a Harryhausen fan and deeply interested in Greek mythology, making me the target market for all the different toys and cereal tie ins (I think Sugar Crisp gave away stickers). I have to admit, I thought Calibos was the "Darth Vader" of the film and I guess toy makers hoped kids would see it that way but he's merely one obstacle in the film.

The folks at Ben Cooper seemed to think kids would be more interested in those obstacles (monsters) than they would be the human characters and only made one good guy character. If I was Harry Hamlin, I'd be slightly miffed as to who I lost costume immortality to.....

Mattel 1981 Clash of the Titans Catalog
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Is it wrong that I find the Big Bird costume far more terrifying?

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• VinMan
      Career Member Mego Maniac
      • Sep 6, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      Is it wrong that I find the Big Bird costume far more terrifying?

Chris
      It is not wrong. I can't even look at the Bird...

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

I won't say it but pleaseeeee we all must be thinking the same thing about "Big Bird". He doesn't just fly south for the winter time.

Comment

• Red Hulk
          Career Member
          • Dec 19, 2012

Big Bird is disturbing.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Were the Clash costumes released? I don't ever remember seeing any.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I've seen the masks on Ebay.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Chris
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 23, 2009

"Mom, This Halloween I want to be the Lord of the Underworld."
                If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Shanester
                  Rocket-Man
                  • Jun 22, 2001

I begged an Aunt to take me to see this. I loved it. She never forgave me. Seriously, she still talks about it.

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

That Medusa s awesome

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                      I've seen the masks on Ebay.
                      Cool. I'm gonna do a search. I want to see what they look like.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Neat, I didn't know they made these! I find those drawings oddly disturbing. And dear god, they made a Bubo costume??? I like the Kraken one.

Originally posted by Chris
                        "Mom, This Halloween I want to be the Lord of the Underworld."
                        "Oh alright, but you're the one who'll have to try and explain to your father why it's wearing makeup and earrings."

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

Is it wrong that I think Shoreleave from The Venture Brothers is wearing the Big Bird costume?

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Marvelmania
                            I won't say it but pleaseeeee we all must be thinking the same thing about "Big Bird". He doesn't just fly south for the winter time.
                            I'll say it. BOTH of these characters appear "playful" at best, and "flirty" at worst. I'd enjoy hearing company's reps' commentary on this one. "Yeah, that's Mark for ya. He has that art style that just POPS with energy!" or "We were a bit confused, and, actually, we thought it best that this was Mark's last job with the company."

And regarding "Bubo as a costume"...who'd've thought Ben Cooper could've topped themselves with yet another oddball costume design. The "humanoid owl" decision took some bravery, I think.
                            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I love those COTT costumes and would like to see actual pix of them, but that poor kid wearing Big Bird is going to get pummeled.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎