• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Colouring Book Theatre: Bugs Bunny meets the Superheroes

Bugs Bunny Meets the Superheroes Souvenir Book

This is one of the happier finds I've had this year, not only do I collect memorabilia from this mid 1970s stage show but it's a coloring book to boot.

If that wasn't enough, this item teaches me a little bit about the show itself which is good because I wasn't fortunate enough to attend as child.

This book gives details into what kind of a show it was, I count 16 songs including a solo by the Penguin. Also, it lists Mel Blanc as the provider of the voices, so I imagine all the Looney Toon characters had their voices on a track.

Let's take a look at the plot of this show after the jump...

The art is above average, probably mostly swiped from a style guide.

This segment comes completely out of context but I'm sure there was a logical explanation. As an aside, one of the songs is called "Bat Computer" and it's sung by Batman, Robin and Chief O'Hara.

Adding Wonder Woman to this show was a smart move considering her TV popularity at the time. She actually features in the book far more than Batman.

So, here is the plot of this thing, the Joker and his crew wants to screw up Porky Pig's birthday party by adding sneezing powder to his cake. Seems like a task a bit beneath this team? Well, don't judge them too harshly...

BECAUSE THIS IS THE NIGHTMARE FUEL THAT IS PORKY PIG! AHHHHH!
    I think I totally understand why the Joker is doing this and officially endorse it.

Batman and Robin finally show up at the end as shown by this swipe from a classic bit of Infantino art. The last panel of the book is Sylvester and Bugs fishing, which I am lead to assume is going to mimic the closing scenes of the Godfather 2.

Next Week: The Empire Strikes Back!

Previously reviewed Colouring Books

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Again, my jealousy of those who saw this (and the SeaWorld shows) knows no bounds. And thanks to this site, I found out the show actually came to Lexington, KY, just up the road from us. Sigh.

We've gone over it before, but WW on the cover is quite fetching. Batman and Robin are a bit dorky, but no less effective, with Robin looking a bit like the older Burt Ward from the Legends of the Super Heroes specials.

Any coloring book who has that classic Infantino/Anderson image is a winner in my book. That is the image emblazoned in my brain when I think "Batman and Robin". And I think that A LOT.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Cool! That show probably would have been really funny to see. Thanks for sharing Brian!
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

These coloring book spotlights really brighten my day. Thanks.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• johnnystorm
          Hot Child in the City
          • Jul 3, 2008

Don't know about the WW art, but the Bbatman villain stuff looks a lot like the Filmation style from the cartoon I think.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 1, 2005

Wow, that coloring book is an excellent find. I did see this show as a kid, but honestly I was so young I barely even remember it, except that I woke up sick that day and insisted we still go to the show, and when I got home I was five times sicker. So I think that's blocked much of my memories of this awesome show unfortunately :( But there was no way I was going to miss a show with Looney Tunes characters AND Superheroes.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎