X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Outer Space Man Conspiracy

Despite the fact that the toy line ended before I ever gulped oxygen, the Colorforms Outer Space Men are strong childhood memory for me. Not because I ever played with them but quite the contrary, I'm not even sure if I've ever held one.

You see around the time of Star Wars (perhaps you've heard of it) the good folks at Colorforms dusted off images of the OSM for a series of puzzles (pictured here)

These puzzles hit my radar when they showed up at Dominion Playworld in 1978 but the item below completely broke my young brain.

I've mentioned before that I wasn't a super bright child, so it's no surprise that I was convinced that all the figures were in this box. I wasn't sure how but it had to be right? I marched the set to the counter with my mum in tow. My mother mentioned to me " I don't think the figures are in there, it's just some sort of game", I replied "No, i'm sure they're in there" but the clerk deflated my balloon with "that's a colorforms set, there are no figures in there".

This drove me crazy, what kind of company would make these amazing toys then choose to not release them? Were they just torturing us? Don't they realize how awesome they are?

Fortunately as an adult, I got all the answers from the man himself, Mel Birnkrant whose annotated archive of the Outer Space Men is exhaustive and wonderful (and sometimes heart breaking). His website is really worth a visit, see you in a few hours.

More Alien Action Figures:
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • MegoCapnMike
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 22, 2012

Very cool! I had never heard of these before
    Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

This drove me crazy, what kind of company would make these amazing toys then choose to not release them? Were they just torturing us? Don't they realize how awesome they are?
      Same here... I had that Colorforms set as a kid, but I'd never even heard of the figures.
      I remember looking at the group shot on the box and wondering if such awesome figures had ever been released.
      It was only much later that I finally learned the history of the toys.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I learned of the Outer Space Men via Tomart's Guide to Action Figures, and the Colorforms set from Mr. Birnkrant's website, thanks to you. Don't feel bad, I would have thought the same thing. Makes you wonder why they just didn't reissue the figures at this time.

Similarly, the 3D sculptures used in some View Master sets had me convinced there was a series of Rankin-Bass-esque specials featuring characters ranging from Bugs Bunny to the Wolfman!!!

Chris
        Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Sep 27, '13, 6:49 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

I learned something new today. I had never heard of this. Or at least if I had seen it as a kid, my memory did not retain it. That's very neat. I liked Colorforms in general as a kid. It was typically a fun thing to do if I ever got down sick.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

I had the same set and never realized those were pictures of toys on the box. I thought they were stop-motion figures or real people in costumes or something. I was fascinated with them though.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

I had the Colorforms set too and was COMPLETELY obsessed with the characters on the box. I still am, actually. I really thought the figures would be coming out soon when I was a kid...
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• toysrus
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 23, 2007

A great toy line from my past. And I'm happy that they have returned. Scroll down thru this site. You will see the original OSM and the new ones that were released

http://www.theouterspacemen.com/

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>These puzzles hit my radar when they showed up at Dominion Playworld in 1978 but the item below completely broke my young brain.

That sounds REALLY familiar. I can remember thinking these were gonna come out soon, and looking for them for years.

Don C.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

These figures are very cool. And Mel Birnkrant's website is definitely a must read.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

This set is why I can't recommend the Four Horsemen figures enough. Yeah, they may be smaller, but they're also making ALL of the characters including the ones Colorforms didn't and ones Birnkrant had only in development.

Comment

• Red Hulk
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 19, 2012

My cousin had the guy with the wings and bubble helmet when we were kids.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎